Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

HOW TO CARE FOR/CLEAN ARTICO MAN MADE LEATHER ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Mercedes A180 Urban
HOW TO CARE FOR/CLEAN ARTICO MAN MADE LEATHER ?

Hi guys, im in South Africa and have recently bought a new Mercedes A180 Urban. I have had stain like marks on my dashboard from the very start and have tried cleaning it with a damp moist cloth but nothing seams to help. Apparently you can use a mild dishwash detergent diluted in a bucket of water on the Artico (MB-Tex) dashboard if its sticky and dirty but even the dishwashing detergent wont remove those darn stains and it looks awfull. What else can I use on the dashboard since its syntheic leather (ARTICO) and not real leather. Will leather cream do any harm to the ARTICO man made leather or can I use that ? What can I use to keep it protected ? I hope someone could see the 'marks' or stains in my dashoard in the attached photo. Its to the centre of the dash. Ok I know the lines of the airbag has to be there but if you look in the centre of the dash and up towards the top you will see some stain marks. Its been there since I got the car . . .

PLEASE, I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE MERCEDES REPLACE THE DASH ON A MONTH OLD CAR JUST BECAUSE OF THE UGLY STAINS IN MY DASH . . .
Attached Thumbnails HOW TO CARE FOR/CLEAN ARTICO MAN MADE LEATHER ?-merke-2-copy.jpg  

Last edited by MERCRSA; 07-01-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:50 AM

C350
Originally Posted by MERCRSA
Hi guys, im in South Africa and have recently bought a new Mercedes A180 Urban. I have had stain like marks on my dashboard from the very start and have tried cleaning it with a damp moist cloth but nothing seams to help. Apparently you can use a mild dishwash detergent diluted in a bucket of water on the Artico (MB-Tex) dashboard if its sticky and dirty but even the dishwashing detergent wont remove those darn stains and it looks awfull. What else can I use on the dashboard since its syntheic leather (ARTICO) and not real leather. Will leather cream do any harm to the ARTICO man made leather or can I use that ? What can I use to keep it protected ? I hope someone could see the 'marks' or stains in my dashoard in the attached photo. Its to the centre of the dash. Ok I know the lines of the airbag has to be there but if you look in the centre of the dash and up towards the top you will see some stain marks. Its been there since I got the car . . .

PLEASE, I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE MERCEDES REPLACE THE DASH ON A MONTH OLD CAR JUST BECAUSE OF THE UGLY STAINS IN MY DASH . . .
How did you make out? I would have dropped by and asked my dealer, they've got some great ways of dealing with interior marks etc.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2015, 06:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
MB-Tex and Artico

[: a synthetic fabric made to look like leather] are probably the best known of this type of material that can imitate leather as they imprint a grain pattern into it; the depth of the lines within the grain that also consistent, while the same lines on leather will vary widely. Artificial leather usually has single stitching; whereas leather uses double stitching, as leather is thicker.

Identifying characteristics - it is also usually smooth and soft to the touch.
The water-drop absorbency test- water drops will ‘bead’ on the surface

Absorbency rate -Low

BMW Leatherette, sometimes referred to as Poromerics (a term coined by DuPont) an imitation leather are a group of synthetic ‘breathable’ leather substitutes made from plastic coating (usually polyurethane) on a fibrous base layer (typically polyester) Including Naugahyde, the fabric can be made of a natural or a synthetic fibre which is then covered with a soft PVC layer, which is a lighter, more flexible and less restrictive material than leather.

This kind of material is easy to clean, requiring the owner to simply wipe it off occasionally with a cloth dipped in a solution of mild detergent and warm water.

a) Leather Master Car Interior Clean & Care Mousse - is formulated to deep clean vinyl, rubber, and plastics and restore the colour and like-new appearance. It works well on the dashboard, door panels, console, and interior trim. It leaves an anti-static, non-sticky surface that looks like new.
As it cleans, it also conditions synthetic materials to enhance the colour and restore a new, supple look. Convenient foam that drips less on vertical door panels and seat backs, use a microfiber applicator or towel to apply the mousse to your vehicle.

b) 1z Plastic Cleaner (Plastik-Reiniger) - an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner that removes grime build-up, scuff marks, bitumen (tar) and nicotine thoroughly and effortlessly with dust-resistant anti-static action.

Safely cleans all clear and coloured automotive plastic interior fittings such as dash, trim, door panels, navigation/audio screens, steering wheel, and pedals. It leaves a long-lasting matt finish with fresh citrus scent. The perfect everyday cleaner for interior plastic surfaces, it’s a mild cleaner to prevent the drying of these porous surfaces, yet it is effective at removing body oils and grime on a regular basis.
Use to clean armrests, door handles, shift knobs, vinyl seats, pedals, dashboard, storage compartments, tires, rocker panels, wheel wells, and etc. Water-based formula is biodegradable, silicone and formalin-free as well as environmentally friendly.

Protection - even though this material is not real leather, it can definitely crack and distort, with Einszett 1z Cockpit Premium” for use on clean or pre-cleaned vinyl or synthetic leather, it provides a temperature-resistant seal and a low-shine matte finish Dust-resistant and retards the fading effects of UV rays to keep synthetic leather and vinyl looking like new.

UV protection is a sacrificial / renewable component; this is due to the UV protection layer being degraded by exposure to the elements so it is imperative that you renew it and needs to be re-applied on a regular basis (dependent upon location climatic condition) especially on convertibles / roadsters

Application - Spray 303 Space Protectant onto a clean 100% cotton micro fibre towel , agitate it well and then allow it to remain in place for 10-15 minutes. Finally using a clean 100% cotton micro fibre towel buff it ensure it permeates and to remove any residue

Note: This product has only minimal cleaning ability; so it should only be used on pre-cleaned surfaces
Old 06-19-2015, 04:57 PM

C 200 K
Originally Posted by TOGWT
MB-Tex and Artico

[: a synthetic fabric made to look like leather] are probably the best known of this type of material that can imitate leather as they imprint a grain pattern into it; the depth of the lines within the grain that also consistent, while the same lines on leather will vary widely. Artificial leather usually has single stitching; whereas leather uses double stitching, as leather is thicker.

Identifying characteristics - it is also usually smooth and soft to the touch.
The water-drop absorbency test- water drops will ‘bead’ on the surface

Absorbency rate -Low

BMW Leatherette, sometimes referred to as Poromerics (a term coined by DuPont) an imitation leather are a group of synthetic ‘breathable’ leather substitutes made from plastic coating (usually polyurethane) on a fibrous base layer (typically polyester) Including Naugahyde, the fabric can be made of a natural or a synthetic fibre which is then covered with a soft PVC layer, which is a lighter, more flexible and less restrictive material than leather.

This kind of material is easy to clean, requiring the owner to simply wipe it off occasionally with a cloth dipped in a solution of mild detergent and warm water.

a) Leather Master Car Interior Clean & Care Mousse - is formulated to deep clean vinyl, rubber, and plastics and restore the colour and like-new appearance. It works well on the dashboard, door panels, console, and interior trim. It leaves an anti-static, non-sticky surface that looks like new.
As it cleans, it also conditions synthetic materials to enhance the colour and restore a new, supple look. Convenient foam that drips less on vertical door panels and seat backs, use a microfiber applicator or towel to apply the mousse to your vehicle.

b) 1z Plastic Cleaner (Plastik-Reiniger) - an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner that removes grime build-up, scuff marks, bitumen (tar) and nicotine thoroughly and effortlessly with dust-resistant anti-static action.

Safely cleans all clear and coloured automotive plastic interior fittings such as dash, trim, door panels, navigation/audio screens, steering wheel, and pedals. It leaves a long-lasting matt finish with fresh citrus scent. The perfect everyday cleaner for interior plastic surfaces, it’s a mild cleaner to prevent the drying of these porous surfaces, yet it is effective at removing body oils and grime on a regular basis.
Use to clean armrests, door handles, shift knobs, vinyl seats, pedals, dashboard, storage compartments, tires, rocker panels, wheel wells, and etc. Water-based formula is biodegradable, silicone and formalin-free as well as environmentally friendly.

Protection - even though this material is not real leather, it can definitely crack and distort, with Einszett 1z Cockpit Premium” for use on clean or pre-cleaned vinyl or synthetic leather, it provides a temperature-resistant seal and a low-shine matte finish Dust-resistant and retards the fading effects of UV rays to keep synthetic leather and vinyl looking like new.

UV protection is a sacrificial / renewable component; this is due to the UV protection layer being degraded by exposure to the elements so it is imperative that you renew it and needs to be re-applied on a regular basis (dependent upon location climatic condition) especially on convertibles / roadsters

Application - Spray 303 Space Protectant onto a clean 100% cotton micro fibre towel , agitate it well and then allow it to remain in place for 10-15 minutes. Finally using a clean 100% cotton micro fibre towel buff it ensure it permeates and to remove any residue

Note: This product has only minimal cleaning ability; so it should only be used on pre-cleaned surfaces
..I just reading your blog http://togwt1980.blogspot.com/
& I just want to say

...anyway I have some questions about artico.
I just found that we have a Leather master care kit for our home sofa ( http://www.uniters.com/int/file.php?file=16)

Could be Leather Soft Cleanerfrom from the kit OK for Artico(instead of LM Car Interior Clean & Care Mousse , 1Z) ?
I also talk to LM deler and he mentioned SPECIAL car sets( http://www.uniters.com/int/folder.php?cms_folder=48 ) , and also special cleaner for vinyl ( http://www.uniters.com/int/file.php?file=226 )

..................after cleaning...do we need both: 1z Cockpit Premium &303 aerospace OR just one(or another) ?

Last edited by MB@C200K; 06-19-2015 at 05:00 PM. Reason: add some text
Old 06-25-2015, 06:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Do not use leather care products on synthetics

Either Iz Cockpit or 303 as both contain UV protection
Old 06-25-2015, 04:56 PM

C 200 K
Tnx for reply......OK I will find something for vinyl - cleaner(I can easy get SEDICUR from LCK)+303 aerospace,but I think that also Optimum Protectant Plus should ne fine(clean+Protect).

Iam littlle bit sceptical about 1z premium, ......(official response:lack of UV protection. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578690 ) .......... ?????????

What do you tHink about Pinnacle leather&vinyl cleaner ?

Last edited by MB@C200K; 06-25-2015 at 05:18 PM.