Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Paint protection film vs xpel for headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 E43 | 2017 GLS450 | 2004 CLK 500
Paint protection film vs xpel for headlights

I did a search already so asking if anyone knows: Is a product like Xpel more optically clear than 3m paint protection film? Asking because I had a pro install clear film 2 years ago and they offered to do my headlights as well. But the results were hazy which has always annoyed me. Wondering whether xpel would be better from a clarity standpoint.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge Charger
Tough question here some love (swear by 3M) others swear by XpelUltimate. I own a high end detailing shop in South Florida and most of the times my customers will opt for XpelUltimate. I have seen amazing things from both films, they both have their strengths and weakness. Some say that 3M adhesive wise is better then XpelUltimate. Other say that Xpel from a direct hit into the material itself will prevent the paint from chipping better than 3M will.

Bottom line is this, it all comes down from whoever installs it for you, make sure they know what they are doing. Some will stretch the material so much that actually will show more blurry than others and I know Xpel some have had this problem before unlike 3M. Also I know that 3M is coming out with a better version soon. So to answer your questions again, warranty and installer is very important. Make sure you ask them to show you a car with both light and dark colors so that you can see and compare.

I hope that helps you.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLA-250
I installed the 3m product from invisiblemask.com on my Audi 5 1/2 years ago. Crystal clear and never an issue....but the car was garaged. I plan on doing the same to my GLA as soon as I can. No experience with any of the other films....sorry.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:32 AM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Mine: 2014 E550 4matic; Hers: 2016 CLS 400 4matic
I can't help you either but on my BMW the clear bra was on for 5 years and no yellowing or hazing.