Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Restoration of Black MB Tex seats and door panels with MAJOR rips & holes (2007 W203)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 W203 C200 Diesel Ex-Taxi
Restoration of Black MB Tex seats and door panels with MAJOR rips & holes (2007 W203)

I'm looking for a DIY guide on how to fix holes and rips in black MB Tex seats on a 2007 W203 that's been neglected for way too long . I've been searching a lot and found DIY guides that deal with only minor rips & holes, not big issues like these seats show, as you see in the included pictures . I don't expect the interior to look as new, but I do want it to not look like they hosted a wrestling match - and most importantly that any of the rips & holes won't grow.

I do insist on DIY as the prices in my country for repair and / or replacement are ridicules (try 500$ for driver's backrest, and repair costs which correlate, along with high custom fees for import).
I do have good-enough hands AND my wife was a taylor (though lacking knowledge in vinyl or upholstery) so I believe we can do this ourselves.

I'm looking for a DIY guide on how to fix these. There are many DIY guides but I wasn't able to find those for upholstery damage in this magnitude, AND I would like to hear your experienced/knowledgable recommendations on the better guides.

ICYW the reasons these seats & door panel got to how they are:
1) It was a cab, so many ins & outs by uninvested persons
2) we get 105 degrees in the summertime, constantly, which dries and weakens the car's interior.
3) the car was neglected by it's (many) previous owners. But no more!

Pictures are included, thank you very much for your time & attention!

Old 10-01-2015, 09:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Burns or torn vinyl / leather –scrape away any burned edges and cut off any rough and / or frayed particles. Obtain a piece of vinyl leather and trim it slightly larger than the tear, apply a suitable adhesive (Pro Stick 65™ Hi-Strength) allowing it to become ‘tacky’. Place this sub-patch under the vinyl / leather and allow to fully dry. If necessary, use (Leather Magic!) filler to level the surface; use several light coats of filler and allow to dry between coats.

You can use a hair dryer to assist in drying. Remember to hold hair dry at a 30 degree angle. After the leather repair is level, apply a colour dye to match if required

Last edited by TOGWT; 10-02-2015 at 08:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RussBarnes (08-15-2022)
Old 10-06-2015, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 W203 C200 Diesel Ex-Taxi
Thank you TOGWT - the Leather Magic vinyl repair deluxe is on it's way to me!
Will post back with results. Thanks again!