Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Vinyl Wrap Care Discussion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Vinyl Wrap Care Discussion

Hello all,

I wanted to share my recent cleaning experience with my new to me 2006 CLS55 AMG. I purchased it recently from the west coast, and after the snowmeggedon event in January we had a few nice days where I could wash it after its cross country haul. The seller was kind enough to include some car wash from 3M. This car is wrapped with satin white along with gloss black wrap on the roof. I do not know who wrapped the car, and this is NOT an endorsement or criticism of any company advertising on MBworld. With that out of the way, I noticed there was still a lot of grime, swirl marks, faint scratches, etc, which are just part of everyday use. Trying a normal polish didn't do much, either, nor did Goo Gone. As a last resort I had some 3M plastic lens cleaner and polish. This is intended for headlamps but I thought maybe it would work. The results were great. I used the polish over most of the car, and used the cleaner in the tougher spots where there were also faint scratches. I'd like to know what others have used for their wrapped cars as well, so feel free to chime in. I have a few pics here, one of the car after it was finished, and a before and after around a door handle. Thanks to all for their input....
Attached Thumbnails Vinyl Wrap Care Discussion-img_20160207_163353.jpg   Vinyl Wrap Care Discussion-img_20160204_183300.jpg   Vinyl Wrap Care Discussion-img_20160204_190708.jpg  
Old 02-10-2016, 09:57 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Euros
Glad you were able to clean it up.

Just as caution for others, especially if you have a gloss wrap, be sure to test it on a small or hidden area if possible, before trying it on a larger or main areas of the wrap. Matte finishes hide scratches/swirls better that may potentially show up in gloss finishes.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
That's a good point, and I want to emphasize that the white portion of the wrap is satin. I assume the 3M product has a mild abrasive in it considering it's a headlamp cleaning product. A gloss finish may not yield the same results.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Euros
If for some reason you want to further protect your door handle cup areas, I would say you can apply a matte or satin clear bra piece there. May not be necessary for you, since it seems like you found a fairly simple solution to your issues.