Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Best Way to Keep It Shiny?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 12:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C300 Sport 4Matic
Best Way to Keep It Shiny?

Hello,

I just picked up a new 2016 C300 in Black. I know that it takes a lot of work to keep a black car looking good so I am considering getting a protective coating on her (e.g. Opti-Coat, CQuartz, 22ple, etc.). Could you tell me which of these are the best or if there are any differences? Also, what is the price range to have any of these applied professionally?

Thanks for your input in advance!
Old 03-30-2016, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
I hear Modesta is amazing probably the best but probably one of most expensive. the detailer i went to said CQuartz is the most popular because of the price range.

Cquartz I think i was quoted like 2000$ CAD give or take a few hundred, then go in once a year for a touch up warranty was like 2 years

Modesta clames to last 3-8 years something like that but is basically double the price I can't find my quote sheet if I find it I can give you exact pricing.

ALSO since your car is new the cost should be much less they probably won't have to do much fixes from marks in the paint.

watch some videos on youtube about both products they both deliver what your looking for
The following users liked this post:
jashic81 (03-30-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 12:50 AM

2016 C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by newmbmarko
I hear Modesta is amazing probably the best but probably one of most expensive. the detailer i went to said CQuartz is the most popular because of the price range.

Cquartz I think i was quoted like 2000$ CAD give or take a few hundred, then go in once a year for a touch up warranty was like 2 years

Modesta clames to last 3-8 years something like that but is basically double the price I can't find my quote sheet if I find it I can give you exact pricing.

ALSO since your car is new the cost should be much less they probably won't have to do much fixes from marks in the paint.

watch some videos on youtube about both products they both deliver what your looking for
Thank you for the info!
Old 03-31-2016, 01:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
M-Class
Here's a good review/comparison between Cquartz and Opticoat-- http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...0-cquartz.html. Hope this can help.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:39 AM

2016 C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by wyneduke
Here's a good review/comparison between Cquartz and Opticoat-- http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...0-cquartz.html. Hope this can help.
Thanks! I will check this out!
Old 03-31-2016, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TwinTop
Probably the most relevant/recent thread for my question too, hope your question ^^^ above was answered. Can I ask some advice from you fine gentlemen...

In Cyprus I cant get white primer let alone a spray gun and psi compressor etc. Cypriots here have hit off both wing mirrors for parking in their (public parking) space. Scratched side of car for parking in their (public parking) preferred space, and the sun damage to bonnet and roof was terrible. The guy I bought the car from used a cheap scratch hider so about a month later all these scratches came up...

Anyway car doesn't feel great and none of this was any fault of my own so took matters into own hands. Wanted to know if a normal non-professional could pick up spray cans and revitalize his car. Here's how I got on:

Today went to check on car and some Cypriot guys shouting at me to move the car. Then noticed the same guy had stolen my new polishing cloths and scrapers etc... I just smiled.

So far: Tape car -> prime car -> paint white on primer -> sandpaper drips -> paint white until drips gone.

No clear coat, no buffing, no rubbing compound, no wet sanding... just primer and 27 cans of white gloss and lots of care and attention.

My problem is I have shadows of white despite having a thick base coat. Probably just because its an outside job and spray paint in wind etc isn't great.

Should I use a thick foam block by hand lightly skim the top surface with rubbing compound, then buff and clear coat? Or wet sand, then buff and clear coat? I've never wet sanded before and doesn't feel right on a thick base coat...
Old 03-31-2016, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...e-coating.html You can google more info and see a lot of high end cars go with it also just google mbworld detailing you can find more info

heres a thread on Modesta i couldn't find my quote sheet but every place you go will have different prices.

I can say the owner had Modesta on his car it looked amazing but the other cars there had CQ it was amazing also the cars looked show room quality

Last edited by MB Marko; 03-31-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:29 PM

2016 C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by newmbmarko
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...e-coating.html You can google more info and see a lot of high end cars go with it also just google mbworld detailing you can find more info

heres a thread on Modesta i couldn't find my quote sheet but every place you go will have different prices.

I can say the owner had Modesta on his car it looked amazing but the other cars there had CQ it was amazing also the cars looked show room quality
Thanks! That thread is very helpful!
Old 04-01-2016, 03:25 AM

none
Originally Posted by jashic81
Hello,

I just picked up a new 2016 C300 in Black. I know that it takes a lot of work to keep a black car looking good so I am considering getting a protective coating on her (e.g. Opti-Coat, CQuartz, 22ple, etc.). Could you tell me which of these are the best or if there are any differences? Also, what is the price range to have any of these applied professionally?

Thanks for your input in advance!
A better and safer alternative in my opinion would be an acrylic paint conditioner APC
It is a DIY non abrasive surface conditioner for acrylic paint that leaves the paint with a brilliant deep reflective shine in addition to preventing oxidation.
It was originally designed to "Preserve the original factory finish" on black acrylic paint.
It is a DIY product
It leaves a superior shine to wax
It prevents acrylic oxidation
It never has to be removed
It never dulls
It does not require soap when washing
It is a spray on liquid
It can go for months without reapplication
Even when it wears off the shine is still there.
It is the safest paint preservative you can use on your paint because it is 100% Pure liquid and has no abrasive components.
It's not a over the counter product, you can only get it on line.
You can google it on any search engine, its been around for a decade or more, the brand name is Pittman Original VaporWax APC.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:03 AM

TwinTop
images

Old 04-01-2016, 09:04 AM

TwinTop
Any help on what to do next before final base coat + clear coat? White smudges wont come out with wet sanding tried today
Old 04-01-2016, 09:18 AM

2016 C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by sidwynder
A better and safer alternative in my opinion would be an acrylic paint conditioner APC
It is a DIY non abrasive surface conditioner for acrylic paint that leaves the paint with a brilliant deep reflective shine in addition to preventing oxidation.
It was originally designed to "Preserve the original factory finish" on black acrylic paint.
It is a DIY product
It leaves a superior shine to wax
It prevents acrylic oxidation
It never has to be removed
It never dulls
It does not require soap when washing
It is a spray on liquid
It can go for months without reapplication
Even when it wears off the shine is still there.
It is the safest paint preservative you can use on your paint because it is 100% Pure liquid and has no abrasive components.
It's not a over the counter product, you can only get it on line.
You can google it on any search engine, its been around for a decade or more, the brand name is Pittman Original VaporWax APC.
First time hearing about this. I'll check it out! Thanks!