Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E320 CDI 2005 Hard Cold Start

Old 12-14-2007, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Great to know UR OK, Michael (Myco)

All is well that ends well. Happy diesel motoring.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by mycoleptodiscus
Anyway, after talking to MB for a considerable amount of time, they think the fuel rail pressure is leaking down (something about a pressure valve in the rail leaking that holds pressure in the rail when the car is sitting), but they have no way of testing this because the pressures are too high- they can't put a gauge on it. They just don't think! I suggested just packing the fuel rail in ziplocs with ice (probably a $20 diagnostic process) and salt and seeing if that gave symptoms. They didn't want to try that. Uugh.
I'm just wondering is this the same as the TSB from konigstiger:
P-B-07.16/80 NOV07 - 211.022/026 fuel loss at the pressure regulator valve (PRV) and/or poor engine running characteristics (shakes, knocks, surges, changes to limp mode, poor output, poor fuel economy, combustion noise) this may be caused by a malfunction at the PRV due to improper installation. The entire rail will be replaced; PRVs cannot be replaced individually due to possible imprecise installation processes in the workshop.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
hmmmmm

Is that an official mercedes TSB? If so, that would be highly suspect to even attempt to charge me for a factory defective part. They replaced the rail and that didn't fix the problem They pulled the new rail back out and they're still working on it. 2 weeks and counting...
Old 01-18-2008, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
Ahah, welcome to MB modern diesel cars.

First of all, is the problem solved for good??

I think it may not... and I think its a stupidity to change the entire rail!!
In Europe your problem is a common problem, yesterday one of my friends w209 270cdi also had a bad start, and it was a fuel leak on the high pressure pump, and the repair was just some bucks (o-rings), if not could be one of the 2 sensors on the rail, or even some bad injector.

I had some problems also in my car, and MB changed:
-MAF
-2 rail sensors
-rpm sensor
-other sensor on rpm of the engine (don't remember the English name)
all worth 400€ and it didn't fixed the problem!!!!

The fuel leaks are very common, and I founded that I have one, very easy to see! Not even MB or Bosch car center saw that!
I had to replace the High pressure fuel pump (o-rings didn't solved, was an internal leak on the pump, also common)
After this I also went to Bosch to repair the injectors, and now I have a new engine

All common problems here, and only that parts are changed.
Never heard of an rail change for some years now!

MB resolved many of these problems on 2005 CDI models, many Bosch parts where changed to Delphi, included the high pressure fuel pump, injectors, rail, etc...

Please tell me how is your problem, I'm curious if MB also export their diesel problems to US

Take a look on the pic, that part is the high pressure fuel pump, and the circles show the problematic area where the leaks almost happen.

Last edited by gaiex; 01-18-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:38 PM

BMW X5 4.6is
End result?

What's the end result? I have the same problem with my 2005 e320 cdi. I like to use this car for winter driving to keep the miles off my carerra. Would reallyrlike to hear the outcome!!

Originally Posted by mycoleptodiscus
I went out this morning to start the CDI. Low of 19F last night. My car has the key where you just turn it once and then let it go and supposedly the car cranks for as long as is necessary to start the car, but stops after 10 seconds to be kind to the starter. Anyone know what this system is called?? Anyway, it glows (all 6 glow plugs just replaced 1 month ago) and then turns over for 1 second and then kills. I do this 6 times before the car starts roughly. No check engine light and no malfunction warnings. I called the dealer to see if this was what I should expect from a benz diesel and cold-weather starting time. Service manager said no and I have an appointment for Wed. Trying to do some sleuthing between now than then. Any thoughts or opinions?
Old 03-02-2018, 06:47 PM

2005 Mercedes E320 CDI
Mercedes E320 CDI wont start

Replaced head gasket, engine wont start. Codes are P0107 Manafold absolute pressure, P0113 Intake air temperature sensor high and P0102 Mass or volume air flow circuit low. There is fuel in the rail and nothing going back from the injector top return line. Engine cranks at 187 RPM. Car ran fine before the gasket replacement. BTW have not filled the coolant yet. Help.