Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SUVs, Trucks, Vans, Diesels, Other > Diesel Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10
Drives: E320
Oil Change Question - E320 Bluetec - 2008

Give me your thoughts on this group. Took my new E320 Bluetec to the dealer for an oil change. It had 7500 miles on it when the service indicator stated it was due. Got the service done, bring the car home (100 miles or so) and the next day I check the oil after it had sat overnight, but before starting the car. The stick reads in the middle versus when I bought the car it was reading right at maximum. Also, the oil was already black. What's your thoughts on this? Did they not add the 1/2 quart needed for the filter? I've never seen the filter, does it remain filled with oil at all times or does it sit upright? How quickly will the oil in this thing appear dirty? Anyway, give me some feedback of your own experiences with this?

Apparently the car received a software upgrade as well.

Thanks in advance.
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

Patches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 835
Drives: 09' E320
Oil expands with heat.

It should be checked at operating temp and within a few minutes of turning off.

Fresh oil is going to get black pretty quick. Prob 1/2 qt stays in the oil cooler and lines when changed
__________________
T. Allison
85' 300D 311k miles
99' E300 311.5k miles (totaled)
09' E320 Bluetec 66k
TMAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,408
Send a message via AIM to Untertürkheim
Diesels turn oil black immediately, and the proper oil level is actually midway between min and max, right where it is.
Untertürkheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Federal Heights, CO
Posts: 1,116
Drives: 1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
Its a diesel with the Bluetec junk making the engine dump soot into the oil, it will always be black.
240D 3.0T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,408
Send a message via AIM to Untertürkheim
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240D 3.0T View Post
Its a diesel with the Bluetec junk making the engine dump soot into the oil, it will always be black.
The oil would be black no matter what diesel model, Bluetec has nothing to do with it.
Untertürkheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #6
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Federal Heights, CO
Posts: 1,116
Drives: 1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
Bluetecs dump even more soot into the oil than normal, thats why they need special oil to handle the soot levels.
240D 3.0T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Danno4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 405
Drives: 2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240D 3.0T View Post
Bluetecs dump even more soot into the oil than normal, thats why they need special oil to handle the soot levels.
Seriously dude, I am beginning to think that you are just making all of this stuff up!

Almost every post that I have recently seen from you contains significant inaccuracies....
Danno4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,408
Send a message via AIM to Untertürkheim
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240D 3.0T View Post
Bluetecs dump even more soot into the oil than normal, thats why they need special oil to handle the soot levels.
This is not true, Bluetecs do not specify oil for higher soot levels.
Untertürkheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 71
Drives: 2005 E320 CDI, 2003 SL 500 sold, 2008 CL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno4x4 View Post
Seriously dude, I am beginning to think that you are just making all of this stuff up!

Almost every post that I have recently seen from you contains significant inaccuracies....

Well said Danno4x4. I find 240D 3.0T posts idiotic, irritating and inaccurate as well. He drives a 26+ year old diesel, and seems to harbor resentment toward any newer technology.
C5DRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:57 PM   #10
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 835
Drives: 09' E320
One could surmise that longer oil change intervals might result in higher soot levels. Don't bluetecs require the better quality fleece filters? Why?
__________________
T. Allison
85' 300D 311k miles
99' E300 311.5k miles (totaled)
09' E320 Bluetec 66k
TMAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #11
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,408
Send a message via AIM to Untertürkheim
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAllison View Post
One could surmise that longer oil change intervals might result in higher soot levels. Don't bluetecs require the better quality fleece filters? Why?
All models with FSS+ (Assyst Plus ROW) require fleece filters for extended oil change intervals, gasoline, CDI, Bluetec, etc.
Untertürkheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:28 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Danno4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 405
Drives: 2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
There are two main reasons why the newer diesels need a special oil...

1.) The oil does capture some soot... It keeps it in suspension... The longer oil drain intervals (10K for the Bluetecs) mean that the oil has to resist breaking down, and effectively keep the soot in suspension for longer... The newer 229.51 oils do this very effectively.

2.) The diesel particulate filters in the exhaust that capture the particulate instead of allowing it to go into the environment (soot is actually really bad for your lungs) are very sensitive to sulfur... Thus the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel specification... On any engine, there is some oil (fairly small amounts) that makes it past the piston rings and into the combustion chamber. The older spec oils actually contain enough sulfur to potentially cause damage to the particulate filter... Therefore, the 229.51 (and API CJ-4) spec oils are reformulated to reduce the amount of sulfur they contain.
Danno4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Danno4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 405
Drives: 2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5DRVR View Post
Well said Danno4x4. I find 240D 3.0T posts idiotic, irritating and inaccurate as well. He drives a 26+ year old diesel, and seems to harbor resentment toward any newer technology.
Its unfortunate, because I really like his car and what he has done with it... I had a 1985 300D Turbo myself that I tweeked a bit as well for more power...

The problem is that given his knowledge of diesels and how they work in general, and the fact that he has tweeked his car may give some people the impression that he is a subject matter expert when it comes to diesel engines... Based on what I have seen in his posts, he still has a lot to learn about fact vs. guess vs. opinon when it comes sharing information...

240D 3.0T, I am not trying to be a dick, I just want to you to check your info before declaring it as fact, since it might confuse a lot of the newcomers to diesel technology.
Danno4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:07 PM   #14
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,332
Drives: 2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim View Post
All models with FSS+ (Assyst Plus ROW) require fleece filters for extended oil change intervals, gasoline, CDI, Bluetec, etc.
What are fleece filters? MB filters all look paper to me.
harkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:12 PM   #15
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,332
Drives: 2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno4x4 View Post
There are two main reasons why the newer diesels need a special oil...

1.) The oil does capture some soot... It keeps it in suspension... The longer oil drain intervals (10K for the Bluetecs) mean that the oil has to resist breaking down, and effectively keep the soot in suspension for longer... The newer 229.51 oils do this very effectively.

2.) The diesel particulate filters in the exhaust that capture the particulate instead of allowing it to go into the environment (soot is actually really bad for your lungs) are very sensitive to sulfur... Thus the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel specification... On any engine, there is some oil (fairly small amounts) that makes it past the piston rings and into the combustion chamber. The older spec oils actually contain enough sulfur to potentially cause damage to the particulate filter... Therefore, the 229.51 (and API CJ-4) spec oils are reformulated to reduce the amount of sulfur they contain.
Are you an engineer Danno? If you are not your knowledge of diesel engines must have come from regular pints of good old liquid gold with the creamy head and black body.

My Goodness.
My Guinness.
harkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Danno4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 405
Drives: 2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Quote:
Originally Posted by harkgar View Post
Are you an engineer Danno? If you are not your knowledge of diesel engines must have come from regular pints of good old liquid gold with the creamy head and black body.

My Goodness.
My Guinness.
Ha HA! Actually no, I am not an engineer... At least that is not how I make a living... Most of what I have learned was through extreme curiosity... Reading lots of engineering books and researching things.

Many of my friends who are engineers (one of which is a combustion specialist with a MS in mechanical engineering) tell me that I should have been an engineer...

You are right though... much of what I know was from sitting down with lots of smart people and having long conversations over a couple of cold frosties. These are the kinds of conversations where my wife swears we are speaking in a completely different language... Although we are using english.
Danno4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #17
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,408
Send a message via AIM to Untertürkheim
Quote:
Originally Posted by harkgar View Post
What are fleece filters? MB filters all look paper to me.
They are not, the material on the OEM filter for your CDI is very different from the paper on the old filters you would have used on the 560SEL. Paper can simply not last for the intervals in the FSS system.
Untertürkheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:27 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2008, 320, blue, bluetec, blutec, change, changing, diesel, e320, interval, mbworld, mercedes, oil, service, tec



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:11 AM.


Copyright © 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved.
Everyone's Personal Details