Sponsored by:

Viton O-Rings, where to get them?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E300D
Viton O-Rings, where to get them?

I know this question has been asked over a million times. I tried FryerPower.com, but they do not respond to e-mails, has anybody ordered from them recently or knows somebody who works there?

Or knows another on-line store that sells them retail(not in packages of 10 or 50)?
Or a store in Canada(Mtl)?

It's for a W210 Diesel.

Thank You.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Banned

2006 E320 CDI
Viton is a specific brand. ANY modern oil compatible o-ring will work the same.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:47 AM

W210 E300D
Well not exactly, Viton is not a brand but rather a branded material(Fluoropolymer) there's only a few companies that produce it each calling it a different name (Viton by DuPont, Dyneon by 3M, Dai-El by Daikin, etc..), and I am planing to do the Vegie conversion once the car runs well, so not any O-Ring would do.

I just finally got mine from FryerPower.com, advice for anybody ordering from them e-mail the guy first, because he runs it alone so if he's out of town your order won't ship till he gets back.

P.S. Moderators can delete this thread.

Thanks for the reply Cran.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Banned

2006 E320 CDI
What did the car do to you to deserve the "death by veggie" sentence? Why do you want to increase the vehicle's pollution?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:12 AM

W210 E300D
Well the increase in pollution is sorta offset by the fuel being 'greener' in the first place, and don't worry I'm planing a dual tank system, possibly never exceeding 60% vegie to diesel ratio... I want to test it out see how the car behaves and if it makes sense financially if so I'll carry on, if not I'll abandon that project
Old 10-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Banned

2006 E320 CDI
Waste oil is not green at all, its not a fuel either. It takes diesel equipment to farm the crops, electricity to extract and refine the oil, etc etc. At absolute best it comes out 1:1 with petro fuels. In cases like ethanol it comes out much worse.

Rather than killing the engine running garbage through it and hacking up the car body to fit a second tank, use biodiesel instead. It was designed specifically as a fuel and removes all of waste oil's destructive properties. Its legal too.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:43 AM

W210 E300D
Not true in case of WVO since it's going to waste....

And as for Biodiesel highest concentration available in my area is B5 which is a joke, and to add insult to injury it is up to 20% more expensive..... So no thank you.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Banned

2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by CKonstantin
Not true in case of WVO since it's going to waste....
That is flat out wrong.
It is all recycled. Livestock feed, biodiesel, power generation, cosmetics, etc etc.

Burning it in an on-highway vehicle is not only illegal but very dirty since the engine isn't designed to run on it and it causes cumulative engine damage.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:13 AM

1999 E300TD
-

Cran you need to do some more research... Diesel engines were created to run on oil... Peanut oil to be a little more specific. If the WVO is filtered properly and is heated to 160 degrees F in the second tank before injected into the engine it will run cleaner than diesel fuel with absolutely 0 damage potential. Where did you hear that running WVO is illegal? It is 100% legal as long as a tax is paid to the state and fed govt. That goes for any fuel including biodiesel brewed in a persons garage...
Old 10-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Banned

2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by xjinit
Cran you need to do some more research... Diesel engines were created to run on oil... Peanut oil to be a little more specific.
That is false information. Diesels were created to run on coal dust.
Please do some research.

If the WVO is filtered properly and is heated to 160 degrees F in the second tank before injected into the engine it will run cleaner than diesel fuel with absolutely 0 damage potential.
That is false information.
What is done about the 20% glycerin content? What is done about the dissolved food fats? What is done to neutralize acid content? What is done to remove water?

Filtering and heat only address viscosity and particle contamination. They do nothing to correct VO's damage causing glycerin and fat or the injection pump eating acids.

Where did you hear that running WVO is illegal?
Directly from the EPA, the Governor of California and DOT.
Ref. Russo.Rebecca@epamail.epa.gov

It is 100% legal as long as a tax is paid to the state and fed govt.
There are no conversions certified by the EPA for emissions or DOT for safety.

That goes for any fuel including biodiesel brewed in a persons garage.
Biodiesel is a standardized fuel certified by the EPA and engine manufacturers to use on public roads.

Last edited by Cran; 10-25-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:08 PM

2006 E320 CDI 235 hp 420 ft tq
It was my understanding that Rudolph Diesel's first diesel prototype tried to use coal dust but blew up and after that went to vegetable oil and the motor worked.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:15 AM

1999 E300TD
Originally Posted by Cran
That is false information. Diesels were created to run on coal dust.
Please do some research.

What is done about the 20% glycerin content? What is done about the dissolved food fats? What is done to neutralize acid content? What is done to remove water?

Filtering and heat only address viscosity and particle contamination. They do nothing to correct VO's damage causing glycerin and fat or the injection pump eating acids.

Directly from the EPA, the Governor of California and DOT.
Ref. Russo.Rebecca@epamail.epa.gov

There are no conversions certified by the EPA for emissions or DOT for safety.

Biodiesel is a standardized fuel certified by the EPA and engine manufacturers to use on public roads.
Have a read Cran... Third question.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/sptaxprog/faqbio.htm

How is it California is taxing something illegal? As for the fats and water, heating the oil gets rid of the water and makes the fat neutral when it comes to "Damage". As for the injectors and the IP, heated VO actually lubricates the IP and injectors better than biodiesel and D#2. I agree with you as far as damage is concerned, Damage to the engine will occur if the vehicle is not equipped with a second heated tank or heated injector lines.

Last edited by xjinit; 10-26-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:37 AM

1999 E300TD
Originally Posted by Cran
Waste oil is not green at all, its not a fuel either. It takes diesel equipment to farm the crops, electricity to extract and refine the oil, etc etc. At absolute best it comes out 1:1 with petro fuels. In cases like ethanol it comes out much worse.

Rather than killing the engine running garbage through it and hacking up the car body to fit a second tank, use biodiesel instead. It was designed specifically as a fuel and removes all of waste oil's destructive properties. Its legal too.
So with your mentality biodiesel is worse than waste oil because it takes a few extra steps after clean wvo correct? So in turn WVO is actually greener than biodiesel. And the whole statement about diesel equipment farm crops ect. ect. is used to create SVO for cooking food not to be used as fuel, its not economically feasible to use SVO as a fuel.

Last edited by xjinit; 10-26-2011 at 01:45 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:51 AM

2006 E320 CDI
speaking as someone who actually converted a vehicle to run on WVO, I have a couple of quick comments. I converted my 2001 Ford F250 7.3 to run on WVO. It has been an amazing success. I get WVO from restaurants who are 'DISPOSING OF' the oil when they clean their fryers. They purchased it and paid the 'TAX' on it. I will not pay a 'SECOND TAX' on the same item, nor should I. Next, WVO is a viable fuel for a diesel engine, as evidenced by the thousands of diesels successfully running on the stuff today. It is because it was designed to run on oil. Thank you to all who defend this wonderful process with facts. I own a 2006 E320 CDI and am currently researching the best method of converting this car to WVO.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:56 AM
Banned

1982 300D
Originally Posted by 2slowcdi
It was my understanding that Rudolph Diesel's first diesel prototype tried to use coal dust but blew up and after that went to vegetable oil and the motor worked.
And are all diesels designed the same as his? Thought not.

Just because one engine can do something doesn't mean others can as well. Mercedes' F1 engine can revv to 18000rpm. Mercedes made it so that must mean all Mercedes engines can do it, go try it on yours!

Originally Posted by xjinit
How is it California is taxing something illegal?
How is Colorado allowing an illegal substance (marijuana) to be sold in the open market?
Answer: The states can't override federal law. The EPA is not tied to any state, if they say VO is illegal on-highway, its illegal in every state.

As for the fats and water, heating the oil gets rid of the water and makes the fat neutral when it comes to "Damage".
Water boils at 212*f. Unless you've got an external heat source in your system other than the engine or you're overheating your engine, you're not removing any water.
Fats are only altered in viscosity by heat, it does not affect their non-combustible properties.

As for the injectors and the IP, heated VO actually lubricates the IP and injectors better than biodiesel and D#2.
Glycerin has major detrimental effects that offset the minor increase in lubricity of the VO.

Damage to the engine will occur if the vehicle is not used with diesel or biodiesel.
Corrected.

Originally Posted by NA5KAR
I get WVO from restaurants who are 'DISPOSING OF' the oil when they clean their fryers.
That is their words. The recycling company that collects it cleans it and resells it for MANY other uses.

They purchased it and paid the 'TAX' on it. I will not pay a 'SECOND TAX' on the same item, nor should I.
You are not paying a tax on the oil, you are paying a tax to use our roads.
By not paying tax, you are a thief, using our roads illegally. No different than running a toll booth on a turnpike.

Next, WVO is a viable fuel for a diesel engine, as evidenced by the thousands of diesels successfully running on the stuff today.
There are 256,000,000 cars on the road. If we are generous with the number of active WVOers at 100,000 that means that 99.96% of the cars running today do NOT use WVO.
Increase that to an impossible 256,000 and thats still only 1% of the entire cars in the USA.

WVO is not a viable fuel source to anyone outside of the small, poorly educated, fad group of current users.
Crop based biofuels like ethanol, methanol and biodiesel are not viable to a mass market. It takes 8 gallons of diesel to make 10 gallons of biodiesel, a 20% yield. Ethanol is only 10%.
If they actually were viable then we would be using them en masse already!

It is because it was designed to run on oil.
All engines are designed to run on oil. Gasoline is an oil. Try running your parent's Taurus on WVO and let us know how that works.

Thank you to all who defend this wonderful process with facts.
You're welcome.

NA5KAR, you've got a long way to go before you can even begin to think you know anything about WVO. At this point you're relying on your own poor understanding of the subject and non-factual internet claims by people that know as little or less than yourself.
Just because you "use" something doesn't mean you understand it or even have any valid knowledge on the subject.

Last edited by OM617; 11-04-2011 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:25 AM

2006 E320 CDI 235 hp 420 ft tq
How off base and regional was most of that.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:49 AM

2006 E320 CDI
Holy Crap Batman! And I do mean "Crap". OM617, you must be a rocket scientist or something. If stupid opinions were currency, you would be very wealthy. The reason that converting a vehicle to use an alternative fuel is not the 'mainstream', is because it takes a combination of skill, effort, and money to complete the process. Most people are sheep (no offense intended to the masses) ... following traditional and readily available trends and living conditions ... including the vehicle they drive and the fuel it uses. In each area of life, there are those that 'want more' or want to buck the trend. They should be applauded, as their actions generally improve their own living conditions and don't hurt anyone else. If a restaurant purchases oil to cook with and then NEEDS TO dispose of it when it is dirty and they CHOOSE to give it to me, who are you to decide that they do not have that right? I will answer that for you ... you are nobody! As for the tax issues, you are probably the kind of person who thinks it's fair to pay tax on a new car and then again when someone buys it as a used car. The government receives a tax on the same car twice. But you are a sheep and since it's been that way forever, nobody questions it.

Finally, You wrote "NA5KAR, you've got a long way to go before you can even begin to think you know anything about WVO". Here is what I know. I actually did something about the ridiculous fuel costs. I spent nights and weekends under my truck and I spent money buying components (I paid the tax on them too). Now I am the proud owner of a vehicle that gives the middle finger to the greedy, corrupt, oil cartel blood suckers of the lovely middle east. It runs fantastic and it costs me nothing to drive. Hey OM617, what have you done to prove you are not a sheep?
Old 11-05-2011, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
Holy Crap Batman! And I do mean "Crap". OM617, you must be a rocket scientist or something. If stupid opinions were currency, you would be very wealthy. The reason that converting a vehicle to use an alternative fuel is not the 'mainstream', is because it takes a combination of skill, effort, and money to complete the process. Most people are sheep (no offense intended to the masses) ... following traditional and readily available trends and living conditions ... including the vehicle they drive and the fuel it uses. In each area of life, there are those that 'want more' or want to buck the trend. They should be applauded, as their actions generally improve their own living conditions and don't hurt anyone else. If a restaurant purchases oil to cook with and then NEEDS TO dispose of it when it is dirty and they CHOOSE to give it to me, who are you to decide that they do not have that right? I will answer that for you ... you are nobody! As for the tax issues, you are probably the kind of person who thinks it's fair to pay tax on a new car and then again when someone buys it as a used car. The government receives a tax on the same car twice. But you are a sheep and since it's been that way forever, nobody questions it.

Finally, You wrote "NA5KAR, you've got a long way to go before you can even begin to think you know anything about WVO". Here is what I know. I actually did something about the ridiculous fuel costs. I spent nights and weekends under my truck and I spent money buying components (I paid the tax on them too). Now I am the proud owner of a vehicle that gives the middle finger to the greedy, corrupt, oil cartel blood suckers of the lovely middle east. It runs fantastic and it costs me nothing to drive. Hey OM617, what have you done to prove you are not a sheep?
He's no sheep because he has created six screen names here and elsewhere to spread the truth to the actual sheep despite overzealous mods trying to silence him.an American hero if you will....

Last edited by DubVBenz; 11-05-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:08 AM

2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by DubVBenz
He's no sheep because he has created six screen names here and elsewhere to spread the truth to the actual sheep despite overzealous mods trying to silence him.an American hero if you will....
An American hero? With six screen names and more, it sounds like he's more of a cyber stalker than anything else. Here's the real question ... has he ever turned a wrench? Or does he just spend 18 hours a day behind his computer (managing all his screen names) telling other people what he thinks they should do? There's an old saying ... 'people with tattoos don't care if you don't have one'. The part to read into that is that people without tattoos generally have an opinion of those with them. In this case, I don't care if you or anyone else modifys your car in any way. Why should my modifications to my vehicle be any of your business (with respect to you rendering negative comments or opinions).
Old 11-06-2011, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Common fellas ....let's not lower ourselves being vindictive .

Lets talk diesels & brighten up !!!!!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by Carsy
Common fellas ....let's not lower ourselves being vindictive .

Lets talk diesels & brighten up !!!!!
Ya Carsy! Talk diesel not argue like children in the school yard. My E320 CDi just went over 110,000 km today on the way home from work. It is running sooo sweetly after a an oil change with Mobil 1 extended service synthetic, 0W40. The engine is quieter than new. I believe in 5,000 km oil changes and before I change the air filter I would vacuum out the air box and tubes of all dirt and dead insects. Krust Rust oil every year. I am looking forward to the next 100,000 km.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
MB recommend 20,000 km or 12 months. I have compromised doing the change at 10,000km . With a 6.5 litre sump & the modern Mobil ESP 5W30 oil I feel comfortable.

I am doing a service tommorow, engine oil & filter + dropping out the ATM fluid & filter for the first time in my 5 speed at 50,000km.

B Service due next month where I will flush the brake fluid, change the fuel & air filters , cabin filter, change power steering fluid , top up coolant, inspect suspension/steering, all rubber boots, brakes & clean engine bay so I can eat off it!!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
I have seen some disastrous results of vegie oils in non MB engines. Enough to say I will never try it regardless of costs or taxes or ethics. New pistons rods valves are not very green.

Further NA5KAR, your 2001 F250 had a relatively crude 7.3L engine which by law had to be dumped in 2003 for the 2004 regs. (Since updated again in 2007 and 2010)
These more modern engines like your MB comply to the later Euro specs which require a different rubber to cope with the finer fuels which are being rolled out.

But when you run vegie oil, you may well affect the perfomance of the injectors.
Viton is a fantastic material for chemical resistance but it does suffer a few other drawbacks.

Ian
Old 11-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Banned

1983 300D
If stupid opinions were currency, you would be very wealthy.
I got a loan from you.

The reason that converting a vehicle to use an alternative fuel is not the 'mainstream', is because it takes a combination of skill, effort, and money to complete the process.
Wrong. Any backyard wannabe can hack a system together that "works". Lovecraft made a business of it!

If a restaurant purchases oil to cook with and then NEEDS TO dispose of it when it is dirty and they CHOOSE to give it to me, who are you to decide that they do not have that right?
The state has that right.

As for the tax issues, you are probably the kind of person who thinks it's fair to pay tax on a new car and then again when someone buys it as a used car.
A sale is a sale. If you want to register the car and put the title in your name, you have no avoidance of paying your required taxes.

Here is what I know.
Nothing. Exactly.

Now I am the proud owner of a vehicle that gives the middle finger to the greedy, corrupt, oil cartel blood suckers of the lovely middle east
As well as the environment and the truck itself.

Hey OM617, what have you done to prove you are not a sheep?
I got an education while you were crawling around in the dirt crying about not being able to afford the fuel your engine was designed to use. Why are you a sheep following the VO fad?

Why should my modifications to my vehicle be any of your business (with respect to you rendering negative comments or opinions).
Its no more my business than it is of anyone else witnessing a crime. If you see it and do nothing about it, you're no better than the perp.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:00 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Originally Posted by CKonstantin
I know this question has been asked over a million times. I tried FryerPower.com, but they do not respond to e-mails, has anybody ordered from them recently or knows somebody who works there?

Or knows another on-line store that sells them retail(not in packages of 10 or 50)?
Or a store in Canada(Mtl)?

It's for a W210 Diesel.

Thank You.
BOSS Seal we have one in Hamilton ON, but I believe it is a Large chain
Pool stores carry viton for chlorine they may have the size but BOSS will be MUCH cheaper