Sponsored by:

2010 ML350 BlueTech Engine Siezed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Vw Passat
Info

Hello, I would like to know what happened with your vehicle. I am asking because latetly I have seen this problem on few vehicles. I personally rebuild 2010 blue tech that was sludged badly. and I have few customers that have changed engines already with low mileage on the car.
This is very good engine but there is no way you change the oil at every 10K miles. it is too much for this vehicle. This is what I see.
I have another one coming next week.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
Originally Posted by Pavlin
Hello, I would like to know what happened with your vehicle. I am asking because latetly I have seen this problem on few vehicles. I personally rebuild 2010 blue tech that was sludged badly. and I have few customers that have changed engines already with low mileage on the car.
This is very good engine but there is no way you change the oil at every 10K miles. it is too much for this vehicle. This is what I see.
I have another one coming next week.
I change mine about every 7K on my car since I have access to shop facilities, are you saying this would somehow be bad for the car?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:01 AM

99 Vw Passat
hello

Originally Posted by DubVBenz
I change mine about every 7K on my car since I have access to shop facilities, are you saying this would somehow be bad for the car?
7K is ok but not 15k(kilometers) as Mercedes Recommends. Or if you do not replace oil, at least change the filter.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:06 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
X166 gls450 2017
Originally Posted by MBtech1098
The OM642 will sludge just like a gas engine. Even when regular oil change intervals are performed. The reason for his is a biodiesel fuel concentration of greater than 5%. I would have to assume that the dealer has tested the fuel and found it to fail the test. MBUSA has put out a lot of info about not using biodiesel in our vehicles. I have seen several of these engine sludge.

Here in IL I heard the BioDiesel concentration is 11% ... I am seriously considering an 08 bluetec ... should I just go with the gas engine ?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:04 PM

99 Vw Passat
Hello

I have not seen blue tech engine sludge when regular oil changes are performed. Those engines have excellent fuel economy - I do not think you need to use bio diesel. the only other problems I have noticed is- some aftermarket oil filters are a bit tight on the center shaft the oil filter cap and need to be lubricated and make sure they spin easy. otherwise filter will twist as filter cap is screwed and this will cause restriction in oil flow.
when changing oil always check that it is 229.51 MB approved- on the oil label.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by Carsy
I would like to know the difference in changing the oil between modern luxury vehicles & older vehicles.

I have been changing my oil since 17 years of age ie for 48 years I have not noticed any difference in the filler cap, drain plug & filter removal to speak of .

Whilst changing the oil I fully inspect the underneath of the car & for any leaks from eg suspension components, steering boots, mcpherson struts & brakes.

What ever floats your boat . I will agree to disagree with you.
If nothing wrong happens to your engine, then the difference is about $30, as I have already stated. If things go wrong, you will have to ask the OP how much the difference is. I am guessing about $17,000.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by ImInPA
If nothing wrong happens to your engine, then the difference is about $30, as I have already stated. If things go wrong, you will have to ask the OP how much the difference is. I am guessing about $17,000.
Dealer cost of changing oil in Australia = $400 +, quoted 5 years ago.

Cost of oil & filter to DIY = $118 ( $83 + $35)

Savings per change =$282.

Nothing has gone wrong in a life time .

As an added bonus I know for sure that I have the correct filter , oil, quantity & complete cleanliness & the engine & under side of the car has been inspected for problems.

No down side at all.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Carsy
Dealer cost of changing oil in Australia = $400 +, quoted 5 years ago.

Cost of oil & filter to DIY = $118 ( $83 + $35)

Savings per change =$282.

Nothing has gone wrong in a life time .

As an added bonus I know for sure that I have the correct filter , oil, quantity & complete cleanliness & the engine & under side of the car has been inspected for problems.

No down side at all.
That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. $400 for just an oil change? You must be more of a sucker in person than you are here. Anyone that believes you were quoted $400 for just an oil change is a fool. Why not just claim an oil change costs a million dollars, then look how much you will save. You state an obviously ridiculous premise on the cost of an oil change and then use your ridiculous math to prove only that you are not the sharpest pencil in the box when it comes to car service and pricing. Enough said.

Last edited by ImInPA; 01-20-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. $400 for just an oil change? You must be more of a sucker in person than you are here. Anyone that believes you were quoted $400 for just an oil change is a fool. Why not just claim an oil change costs a million dollars, then look how much you will save. You state an obviously ridiculous premise on the cost of an oil change and then use your ridiculous math to prove only that you are not the sharpest pencil in the box when it comes to car service and pricing. Enough said.
Ah ah ah ..a truly disturbed commentator

An A service here is $420 which includes an oil change , filter , brake check,reset display & windscreen top up.

If you think an oil change only is servicing your car car comprehensively you are badly out of touch with reality.

You must have a huge chip on your shoulder to think & act in this manner.

Still affected by someone taking your toys away as a child ?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
10 speed bicycle
Originally Posted by 007_e350
Here in IL I heard the BioDiesel concentration is 11% ... I am seriously considering an 08 bluetec ... should I just go with the gas engine ?
I have heard the same for IL. If you run a concentration greater than 5% you will have problems. In your case I would go with gas.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Carsy, Please re-read your post. You state: "Dealer cost of changing oil in Australia = $400 +, quoted 5 years ago." Now, the full A service can vary greatly from what I have read here. I have read from the low $200s to $400+. Crazy but true. An oil change is less than $100 US where I am. It is a negligible difference, and, eliminates any dealer blaming engine failures on "incorrect" self-service. Each to his own.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:05 AM

2003 SLK230 and 2011 ML350 Bluetec (Diesel)
2011 Bluetech ML350 DEAD!!! (34K miles only)

Yesterday I was driving into work and all of the sudden my engine died. I pulled off to the shoulder and popped open the hood. I noticed oil was everywhere! I had the vehicle towed into the Mercedes dealership. The Shop Foreman and Service Manager said that I had a catastrophic engine failure, the engine is seized and will not turn over. They also said that it is not covered under warranty because the oil filter cap was not 'fully seated'. Apparently, the o-ring on the filter cap housing slid up and out of its groove on the back side. This caused the oil to escape once the engine pressure built up. I the factory rep coming out today to take a look at it. They also said that since I serviced my vehicle and not Mercedes, that I was liable for the repairs. I am in absolute shock at the moment. I am so devastated...I still owe $40K on the car. I have contacted a Lemon Law Attorney because I don't know what to do. I would greatly appreciate hearing the outcome of this particular incident.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
Originally Posted by millerm77
Yesterday I was driving into work and all of the sudden my engine died. I pulled off to the shoulder and popped open the hood. I noticed oil was everywhere! I had the vehicle towed into the Mercedes dealership. The Shop Foreman and Service Manager said that I had a catastrophic engine failure, the engine is seized and will not turn over. They also said that it is not covered under warranty because the oil filter cap was not 'fully seated'. Apparently, the o-ring on the filter cap housing slid up and out of its groove on the back side. This caused the oil to escape once the engine pressure built up. I the factory rep coming out today to take a look at it. They also said that since I serviced my vehicle and not Mercedes, that I was liable for the repairs. I am in absolute shock at the moment. I am so devastated...I still owe $40K on the car. I have contacted a Lemon Law Attorney because I don't know what to do. I would greatly appreciate hearing the outcome of this particular incident.
Sorry to hear that. Terrible news. I had a dealer perform service B on our 2009 ML and shortly after luckily my wife noticed oil over the garage floor after I drove it to work which was unusual for us. Long story short we figured it out in time luckily before the engine blew that the cap hadn't been put on properly by the dealer. I got lucky and no longer go to that dealer...
Old 04-09-2013, 05:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
Carsy, Please re-read your post. You state: "Dealer cost of changing oil in Australia = $400 +, quoted 5 years ago." Now, the full A service can vary greatly from what I have read here. I have read from the low $200s to $400+. Crazy but true. An oil change is less than $100 US where I am. It is a negligible difference, and, eliminates any dealer blaming engine failures on "incorrect" self-service. Each to his own.
My last A service on a diesel was $220 without AdBlue. Have gotten oil change stand alone for $120 w/tax. Way I calculate I could save $20 doing it myself assuming I bought the oil at retail price. Not worth it for me anymore considering the hassle of disposal etc. I used to do it on my Volvo though when it would cost me $30-40 vs. $90 at the dealer or $60 at the indy.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:47 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
1997 E300D
Yesterday I was driving into work and all of the sudden my engine died. I pulled off to the shoulder and popped open the hood. I noticed oil was everywhere! I had the vehicle towed into the Mercedes dealership. The Shop Foreman and Service Manager said that I had a catastrophic engine failure, the engine is seized and will not turn over.
Bummer! Did you see any warning signs, like a cloud of smoke behind you. I would have expected some sort of urgent warning of low oil pressure on your dash. It amazes me that these smart cars will still run with no oil pressure.
The following users liked this post:
mp0i (11-30-2018)
Old 04-09-2013, 10:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 E320 CDI (GONE), 14 Jeep GC EcoDiesel, 01 Disco II (GONE), 09 BMW X3 3.0 Si Xdrive
I witness seized BlueTec engine on GL due to overdue oil change by 14000 miles. The owner drove for 24000 after he purchased it and seized it, but only message that was present was about pass due oil change, I assume that the oil sensor gets covered w/slugged oil and thus gives falls reading.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
You can sob and whine all day about poor this and that, however we are not being told the whole and complete story like the typical warning signs ---like checking for leaks after changing oil, like the smell. like the smoke, like the oil on the garage floor, like the low level oil sensor going off------something just aint right!!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:12 AM

06 E320 CDI (GONE), 14 Jeep GC EcoDiesel, 01 Disco II (GONE), 09 BMW X3 3.0 Si Xdrive
Originally Posted by Plutoe
You can sob and whine all day about poor this and that, however we are not being told the whole and complete story like the typical warning signs ---like checking for leaks after changing oil, like the smell. like the smoke, like the oil on the garage floor, like the low level oil sensor going off------something just aint right!!
If my car start leaking from the bottom of the engine it will take a while to see anything on garage floor considering the plastic pans it has that are running from front bumper all the way to the point under the front seats. Yes I can check for leaks after filter replacement as I always do, but leaking rear main seal...........
Old 04-10-2013, 11:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
.....I noticed oil was everywhere! I had the vehicle towed into the Mercedes dealership. The Shop Foreman and Service Manager said that I had a catastrophic engine failure, the engine is seized and will not turn over. They also said that it is not covered under warranty because the oil filter cap was not 'fully seated'. Apparently, the o-ring on the filter cap housing slid up and out of its groove on the back side. This caused the oil to escape once the engine pressure built up.....
That can't happen. O ring is in a specific grove. Someone put the O ring in the wrong grove, didn't lube the O ring during installing, or did not pay attention when installing.
Education is expensive.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:43 PM

E350 & ML350
Try this one on for size.

2011 ML350 BlueTec with 13K miles. 2 oil changes done since start of lease less than 2 years ago, using dealer-bought oil and filters and done by mechanic I use for my other 2 MB vehicles. Engine dies and MB dealer tells me that I sludged it up by not changing oil or by using wrong oil and it is not covered under warranty. Regional MB office tells me that I'm SOL and to have a nice day.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by paradoxxny

2011 ML350 BlueTec with 13K miles. 2 oil changes done since start of lease less than 2 years ago, using dealer-bought oil and filters and done by mechanic I use for my other 2 MB vehicles. Engine dies and MB dealer tells me that I sludged it up by not changing oil or by using wrong oil and it is not covered under warranty. Regional MB office tells me that I'm SOL and to have a nice day.
Thus why I go to the dealer until my cars are under warranty.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI

Time to talk with a lawyer.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:20 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
1997 E300D

MB doesn't believe that you had any oil changes. If you can find some documentation of past oil changes I think they would be more forth coming. I am curious to know what type oil you were running, regular or synthetic?
Old 02-01-2014, 05:22 PM

ML 350
Exclamation ML350 Bluetec engine seized

I've a 2010 ML350 Bluetec diesel, the engine seized without warning with about 8100 miles on the oil change and only 31,000 miles on the engine. Mercedes-Benz blamed the oil too and I was denied warranty repair even though I was inside of the 50,000 mile new car warranty. The information on engine fault recorder showed no problems to the point of failure. I was told that if you didn't have the oil changed at a Mercedes-Benz authorized dealer the oil change was not recorded in their database and in my opinion they could blame someone else. It was implied to me that 10,000 miles is too much in most cases between oil changes, but no one will admit it. Therefore I'm getting it changed between 5000 and 7500 now.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:42 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
formerly drove a 2010 ML350 BLUETEC, currently drive Mazda, Chevrolet, and Toyota
Originally Posted by krd2023 View Post
Status on any class action or remedies, please? I'm experiencing a Mercedes nightmare currently. My 2010 ML350 BLUETEC's engine just seized at 82K miles, all after regular dealer maintenance in Montana and after several major dealer repairs since 2010 (including AdBlue heater and oil cooler seal leak @ approx. 65K miles, leading to catastrophic engine failure last week). Mercedes says they'll do nothing to assist, so my attorney is sending them a Demand Letter tomorrow. I'm happy to join forces with others of you who are experiencing, or have experienced, similar issues with Mercedes!

I bought this car new, was my first Mercedes, and I followed proper steps whenever a warning light came on. Ironically, not a single warning light was on before or during the engine seizing. MBUSA has denied me assistance, as has the dealer. I'm reading everywhere of similar oil leaking / pressure issues with this engine. I have a list of major dealer repairs I had done since I bought this car new. I would expect MBUSA to accept accountability and am really disappointed so far in MBUSA.

Last edited by krd2023; 05-12-2015 at 08:49 PM. Reason: omitted some data

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 ML350 BlueTech Engine Siezed