W203 C270 CDI engine turns over but start help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203 C270 CDI 2001
W203 C270 CDI engine turns over but start help

Hi first time posting so be nice

I have a Mercedes c270 cdi 2001 which will not start it cranks but will not fire up it broke down when I was at the doctors and would not start again and fuel needle read there still fuel in it, so did some research on the forum and members were saying if the tank is 1/4 or less the car wont start and to fill it above that and give it a go so I did and it fired up, but two days later same thing car would not start so thought same thing put more fuel in even though the needle was above the 1/4 mark, used a little bit of easy start and it fired up again got me home and as soon as I got in the drive it cut out and would not start so checked the fuel lines and on cranking I could see air bubbles so changed the o ring for the fuel pipes and the fuel pressure regulater but still would not fire up but when I use easy start it will fire for 2 seconds and die, I have checked the fuel tanks and all fuel is in n/s where it should be as that's how the transfer system works as iv read, the n/s was so full it was dripping out as I pulled the sender out to have a look and the o/s had very little fuel my question is am I looking at new low pressure pump or a high pressure pump. Sorry for the long message but was trying to give you as much info as possable. Thank for your time.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:32 AM

2002 C270 CDI + 2003 S320 CDI
Hello HWK, I'm not a mechanic.

I had a similar problem on my 2002 C270CDI, that was fixed by replacing the Low pressure fuel line washers and one of the fuel lines. The problem was intermittent and would sometimes take about 5 attempts before the engine would take.

There was air seeping in through the washers and the fuel line (which had become brittle and developed a slight crack) into the low pressure pump.

Try replacing the low pressure lines before looking at the more expensive options of fuel pumps.

Part numbers; A 612 070 31 32 Line to FILTER
A 612 070 32 32 Line to Cut-off
A 612 070 33 32 Line from Rail

A 006 990 60 40 Washer

Regards,
Gary.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:15 AM

M/Benz C270 CDI elegance
I have had a similar experience with a C270 CDI (elegance). What if I just change the respective rubber seals without changing the lines?
Old 08-06-2013, 08:18 AM

M/Benz C270 CDI elegance
Air-lock

Originally Posted by chotts
I have had a similar experience with a C270 CDI (elegance). What if I just change the respective rubber seals without changing the lines?
Old 08-06-2013, 02:02 PM

Hi Chotts,

Changing just the washer may work.

Just remember that the fuel lines are plastic. If they are aged, they may be brittle. If you bump them or flex them a little too much while trying to replace a washer they may crack. That may let you you drive a couple of hundred miles and then leave you stranded (or worse, catch on fire). So just keep that in mind when you replace the washer and check it occasionally after you finish your work in that area.

I hope it works.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:32 AM

M/Benz C270 CDI elegance
After changing the "O" rings on the fuel lines, I realized that there fuel was coming through without any pressure. The analysis showed that the cam-shaft sensor had packed up and I have just replaced it. I am still faced with the same problem, "it cranks but it will not start". I am persuaded to throw in the towel now. in that case would I be wrong to consider the lower pressure pump as the culprit? Please assist as this now calls for desperate measures. I am also sorry for seemingly making the problem sound so long as I wanted to cover every aspect of the problem.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:40 PM

Hi Chotts,
Sorry for the late reply. I was away on a business trip.

I think that STAR diagnostics would help a great deal here. Short of that, try to isolate the problem(trial and error). Start by disconnecting the feed line into the hi press. pump and see if you are getting any fuel while someone turns on the key or cranks the engine (take the required precautions so that you don't pump fuel everywhere). I'm not too sure how the fuel lines are primed, so turn the key to the position just before you crank the engine and see if any fuel comes out before cranking it. If you don't get fuel from here then your problem is upstream of the hi press. pump, if you do, then it is down stream of the fuel line you are holding.
I'm sorry I can't be of more help but let me know what happens and good luck.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:35 AM

Final Diagnosis

Hi Chotts,

Did you eventually find the problem? What was the fix?
Old 03-02-2014, 09:54 AM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
W211 e320 CDI
Speculating here, electric lift pump?