Sponsored by:

300TD-New Starter Clicks & Not Cranks With Terminal Box

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'84 300TD
Smile 300TD-New Starter Clicks & Not Cranks With Terminal Box

Hello Everybody! I never worked on cars before I purchased my 1984 300TD Station Wagon and reading your feeds have helped me considerably this past year! So thank-you - each and every one of you.

I am now in a desperate place and I really could use some guidance.

~So here's the situation~

I purchased a new refurbished Starter from an auto store and had it installed. (I do work on my own car - the exception was the installation of the starter. I just didn't have the right tools, and after reading all the threads in regards to the installation- I thought it was something best left to someone who was more experienced:-)

My car cranked but wouldn't start. I discovered it was due to my having a bad battery. I purchased a new battery, cleaned the terminals and made sure all connections were tight. I turned my key, Hooray! my car started. I didn't drive it, as I had to get a new tire. I ran up to the tire place, I grabbed the tire, I returned to my car, installed my new tire. I then thought I was ready to go! But alas, that was not to be. I turned my key and all the usual lights lit up, but nothing else - No Click no Crank. I went to the Starter Junction Box - and It Clicks but does not crank. I cleaned all that could be cleaned in the Glow Plug Relay Box. Cleaned & tightened the Ground Strap. Tightened the screws on the hoses that connect to my new fuel filter (I primed after installation and again after it wouldn't start) I checked my NSS - and I purchased a new shifter bushing that I will install tomorrow. I have tapped the starter while my friend turned the key in the ignition - to no avail. I have maintained a full charge on my battery through the process, placing it on a charger after every process. I also turn to heat the relays before attempting to start the car. I am at a complete loss. Please help~:-)

Last edited by JanelleS; 11-16-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
If the starter is getting the correct voltage(you have checked that correct), the starter should function! If not you have a bad rebuilt starter---take the starter back and get a replacement!!--This has nothing to do with glow, fuel or ashtrays being full!!