E class Diesel rant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 03:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E89 Z4
E class Diesel rant

Do you mind if I vent a bit?

I would really love to have a distance runner E class diesel as a "backup" for whatever convertible I have, especially if the vert is leased.

I spent long periods of time in W123 and a late W124, all diesels. So much better than the v6 c-class which is the last Mercedes I used for real lately. First of all - no manual, no wagon. Fine, I get it. Auto Sedan only. Auto has no manual mode to speak of unless I random flash software and hope for the best.

W124s are just not quite up to where I need a car to be today, especially airbags and ESP, and rust. OK. W210s? Nice cars. But the rust protection is still not there, and I sorry but they made mistakes with the design. In combination with the always dull headlight glasses this thing really looks a lot worse than just the regular non-AMG E class "old guy with belly car". I could live with it, but it really doesn't seem like the W210s can withstand the Bahston salt for long.

Now we get into the W211. Chrysler. Ugh. If I get an old one I get the cool engine but they have SBC. For a long-distance runner that sounds like a really bad idea. If I get a newer one there is the v6 engine aka lag queen that suffocates on its own exhaust, and the 722.9 transmission raise its ugly head shortly afterwards. My understanding also is that all of these have airmatic in the back. Is that right or did I just mix up info from the wagon?

Now, the only good thing I have going for me is that I'm in a high-stress, high pay job, so as long as it gets the job done I can throw some money at the problem. Unfortunately early W212s still have that terrible engine, and although I like the pre-facelift W212 exterior better the interior before the facelift is just terrible. The W211 interior is some of the best out there, such a step back. W212s diesels out in the wild on the used market are also optioned badly. Boring colors, low on extras. W211 were a lot more into getting a nice car.

Finally if I am willing to get a young CPO with the 4-banger engine (which I like better), the sorted out 7g and the facelift interior then I get a full front assault by the typical 201x diesel buyer. Just those ugly seats with the non-nappa leather, if any leather. Ugh. Pano roof available. But not picked. Heated steering wheel? Nice but why spend money on it, right?

I'm half-tempted to get an elderly one from a sunshine state and rust it to death.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E89 Z4
Well I suppose I can just get a W221 S350d...
Old 03-28-2015, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 E63 S212 AMG mit MPP, P30. Drove : 89 R107, 05 320 CDI
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by squid23
Well I suppose I can just get a W221 S350d...
That's a good option, do that! I'm pretty sure you'll deal with your issues. I certainly agree—an MB CDI wagon with the I6 and in a (S)211 Designo interior and the tech of 2015.

I agree about the wagon, I loved my 2005 W211 E320 CDI. Straight six with almost 400 ft-lb! What a car, it made me happy EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I drove it.

Last week though, I bit the bullet and went in a new direction with an AMG Wagon, a 2014 E63 S212 w/P30! A once in a lifetime type of purchase for me. I am a Wagon guy, have been my entire life—even as a teenager. An Chr|st! What a Wagon!

I agree—no diesel wagon option! In the end I could not buy the vanilla E350 Wagon. No brakes no torque.

The brakes on the AMG alone are worth the price of admission. Gas is never gonna be much cheaper, and this is a special wagon. I already don't like the fuel mileage, I'm just into my second tank. I would have only used half a tank in the CDI.

I digress though, here's the deal, get yourself a fantastically optioned up 2006 CDI, well maintained and cared for, with low to medium mileage (maybe a 2005, if necessary). The inline six is an unbelievable spectacular motor attached to a bulletproof transmission. I sure pushed my tranny VERY hard, it never gave up or let me down, almost super-powered level of strength and don't worry about the SBC. It's not that big a deal, I loved the brakes, beautiful brakes from my POV. If you are really worried, put a new/re-manned unit in when you buy, or set it aside so you have it ready to install.

After you've put a tank of diesel through it, you'll want to personally phone me and thank me—you won't mention the SBC to me! and the best part? You'll feel that way EVERY time you drive it! I know I did..! What a car! I hope I love this Wagon as much as I loved that sedan.

W211 2005-2006 FTW.

Last edited by cctoronto; 03-31-2015 at 01:46 PM. Reason: adjustments, sp.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by cctoronto
I loved my 2005 W211 E320 CDI. Straight six with almost 400 ft-lb! What a car, it made me happy EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I drove it.

,,,here's the deal, get yourself a fantastically optioned up 2006 CDI, well maintained and cared for, with low to medium mileage (maybe a 2005, if necessary). The inline six is an unbelievable spectacular motor attached to a bulletproof transmission. I sure pushed my tranny VERY hard, it never gave up or let me down, almost super-powered level of strength and don't worry about the SBC. It's not that big a deal, I loved the brakes, beautiful brakes from my POV...

After you've put a tank of diesel through it, you'll want to personally phone me and thank me—you won't mention the SBC to me! and the best part? You'll feel that way EVERY time you drive it! I know I did..! What a car! I hope I love this Wagon as much as I loved that sedan.

Absolutely spot on.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 E63 S212 AMG mit MPP, P30. Drove : 89 R107, 05 320 CDI
You tell him!

It's an incredible vehicle, I'll still kind of miss my 320! God—what a great great car...
Old 05-03-2015, 09:23 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 ML320, 2005 E320 CDI
I have a 2005 CDI. Bought it with 70Kish. It currently has 175Kish 2 years later. Mounts went twice, two leaks, filters, and rebuilt the high pressure pump. Paid $15K and could probably sell here for about the same in the condition with the miles. I would do it again in a heartbeat.