Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel filter replacement & water drain E320 BlueTec

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 05:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 MB E320 BlueTec. 2011 Porsche Boxster 987. 2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport MT, 1995 BMW K75 motorcycle
Fuel filter replacement & water drain E320 BlueTec

I just finished replacing both engine air filters which was a tad more involved than I had anticipated. Supposedly my next project was to replace the fuel filter which will test my technical abilities even more, I think. Since the current filter was replaced only 30K miles ago I may wait and just drain any water from it, if any. I've read several threads from people doing the water draining bit but I have no clue how it is done. I unscrewed the black vent from the filter and inserted a small diameter plastic hose thinking it would go to the bottom and I could simply vacuum out the potential water, if present, from the bottom. However, the hose went in less than one inch and was stopped probably by the filter material.
So my question is: "how is the water drained from the filter"?
Any suggestions and/or advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
all you have to do is unscrew the black vent a bit while the engine is running, holding it with a cloth to absorb any water or fuel that comes up thru the tiny hole! The black vent knob is the valve!
I do this every oil change as you have to remove the engine cover anyway.
It is also easy to change the filter. Get a proper quick clip plier to remove and replace the hose clips. Very easy.