Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 2010 ML350 Bluetec engine seized

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by krd2023
Well, after sending the email below on 6/15 to MBUSA and including my dealer, I've still heard nothing from MBUSA but I did get a phone call from the owner of the dealership. The owner reiterated that his hands are tied and there is nothing he can do. He stated MBUSA usually gives the silent treatment in cases like this, and that MBUSA is virtually as unhelpful to him as they are to me. MBUSA is clearly not at all interested in keeping me as a customer. What's more surprising to me, they're not at all concerned about my word-of-mouth to family, friends, colleagues, and the public. Does MBUSA expect me and other conscientious MB owners to be okay with a well-maintained diesel Bluetec engine dying at less than 85K miles?!?!? The only options remaining from the dealer where my car sits are 1) trade-in the car for around $8,000 credit, or 2) have them replace the engine for around $12,500 with labor (neither of which is reasonable to me given my investment in this vehicle and prior maintenance/ repair history). Here is a copy of my email sent to MBUSA and the dealer yesterday:

(names have been withheld to protect privacy):

"June 15, 2015

Dear (After-Sales Operations Manager
Mercedes-Benz USA
Western Region),

Even though you’ve not acknowledged my June 8 emails below, you may be interested to know I’ve still heard nothing from MBUSA regarding my May 15 Demand Letter (please see attached copy again). It’s now Week 7 since my car is sitting immobilized with a seized engine on the (dealer) lot in (city), MT. Since I’ve heard nothing from MBUSA for weeks, I’ve begun a public campaign so others understand my dilemma and may assist in my resolution, as seen here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-fo...ne-seized.html

Rest assured, if MBUSA decides very soon to reasonably resolve my issue, I’ll gladly post a positive reflection.

I’m negotiating a new MB purchase with (dealer) this week, but only if MBUSA provides me with a reasonable trade-in value for my 2010 ML350 Bluetec. If I can’t arrive at an agreeable transaction this week, I’ll be moving in other directions to reach a resolution.

Thank you,
___"
I noticed on the service report that there was no service done ie changing oil late in 2014 . The last service was in Sept 1013.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Accounting to the letter the oil was changed when they did the oil cooler and then again at 76

I wonder if when they did the oil cooler if they didn't actually change the oil or something. You would think that would have been noticed though at the 76k oil change as by then I am sure the oil drained would have been bad. But since they use the suction method the tech might not have noticed what was coming out of the car or how bad it looked. (I have no clue what machine they use at the dealer so maybe they can see) The diesel oil looks so bad after even a 20 minute idle (did a change that quick in my car) that maybe it would drain out some okay and look normal while leaving behind "sludge" or something.
The reason I wonder if they did it or not is I went through every MB document on the oil cooler job that I could find when doing it on my car earlier this year and found no mention of if you should change the oil after the repair or not. This could explain how on a car that seemed to be maintained well could possibly end up with sludge and a blown motor. Have you verified that the dealer you were using used the proper Diesel oil? I know that MB had some issues with some dealers putting the 229.5 oils in the Diesel cars for awhile. Heck back in 07 a dealer did it to my dads diesel but at least they owned up to it when I noticed a week later.

Last edited by samaritrey; 06-17-2015 at 04:18 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
formerly drove a 2010 ML350 BLUETEC, currently drive Mazda, Chevrolet, and Toyota
Originally Posted by Carsy
I noticed on the service report that there was no service done ie changing oil late in 2014 . The last service was in Sept 1013.
My comprehensive service detail reports (which are not uploaded here) do show 9 quarts of MOBILE 1 ESP FORMULA oil changed @ this 67K mile service when the oil cooler seals were replaced, by the same dealer who did all my services and who sold me the car new in 2010. In fact, I've done all scheduled maintenance by this same dealer and had the car serviced AT LEAST twice per year and within 10K mile intervals since I bought the car new. At each service interval and visit, I count on the dealer to perform diagnostics and advise me on what service is needed (including oil changes). The only service recommendation by the dealer I've ever declined was for them to add AdBlue, which I instead stock at home and do regularly to save expenses. This is why I'm so puzzled by MBUSA throughout this saga.

Last edited by krd2023; 06-19-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:00 PM

formerly drove a 2010 ML350 BLUETEC, currently drive Mazda, Chevrolet, and Toyota
Originally Posted by samaritrey
Accounting to the letter the oil was changed when they did the oil cooler and then again at 76

I wonder if when they did the oil cooler if they didn't actually change the oil or something. You would think that would have been noticed though at the 76k oil change as by then I am sure the oil drained would have been bad. But since they use the suction method the tech might not have noticed what was coming out of the car or how bad it looked. (I have no clue what machine they use at the dealer so maybe they can see) The diesel oil looks so bad after even a 20 minute idle (did a change that quick in my car) that maybe it would drain out some okay and look normal while leaving behind "sludge" or something.
The reason I wonder if they did it or not is I went through every MB document on the oil cooler job that I could find when doing it on my car earlier this year and found no mention of if you should change the oil after the repair or not. This could explain how on a car that seemed to be maintained well could possibly end up with sludge and a blown motor. Have you verified that the dealer you were using used the proper Diesel oil? I know that MB had some issues with some dealers putting the 229.5 oils in the Diesel cars for awhile. Heck back in 07 a dealer did it to my dads diesel but at least they owned up to it when I noticed a week later.
These are all good points and questions. As to the oil type, each of my detailed service records show MOBILE 1 ESP FORMULA, all done by the same dealer where I purchased the car new in 2010. I can only assume the dealer used the proper oil each time.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

krd,

Maybe with a few phone calls may be able to form a relationship with a senior MB customer service person & have your problem listened too. Keep on asking for the dept. head.

It there is no response I would write an open letter to them & give it & the details of the problem to the local/national papers & TV news.

There is no way they can just completely ignore a customer & get away with it.

I come back to the noise you heard before the failure. It may have been a mechanical fault caused by poor engineering. I do suggest that an independent licenced auto mechanic dismantle the engine to see what that noise was & maybe ascertain MB liability. Better than spending money on lawyers. If you are going to replace the engine it will have to come out anyway & should not be too expensive just to remove the sump to check the oil pump & sludging & the heads & manifolds.

Good luck.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:09 AM

Status on any related class-action, recalls, or remedies please? I'm experiencing a Mercedes nightmare currently. My 2010 ML350 BLUETEC's engine just seized at 82K miles, all after regular dealer maintenance in Montana and after several major dealer repairs since 2010 (including AdBlue heater and oil cooler seal leak @ approx. 65K miles, leading to catastrophic engine failure last week). Mercedes says they'll do nothing to assist as my 50K-mile warranty has expired, so my attorney is sending MBUSA a Demand Letter. I'm happy to join forces with others of you who are experiencing, or have experienced, similar issues with Mercedes!

I bought this car new, was my first Mercedes, and I adhered to the dealer maintenance schedule and proper steps whenever a warning light came on. Ironically, not a single warning light was on prior to the engine seizing. MBUSA has denied me any assistance in writing, as has the dealer. I'm reading everywhere of similar oil leaks / pressure issues with this engine. I have a list of major dealer repairs I had done since I bought this car new. I would expect MBUSA to accept accountability and am really disappointed so far in MBUSA. For similar experiences, see also : http://www.mbca.org/forum/2015-02-11...y#comment-form and https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-fo...ne-siezed.html
Here's the only correspondence I received from MBUSA, dated 4/30, on my current issue now in Week 7. The MBUSA email contains wrong information and I've since escalated the issue to no avail. The "16,369 miles since service" statement in the email is erroneous and contradicts my dealer service records (to which MBUSA has always had access). The representative first called me with this information, and then was extremely reluctant to email the information to me (which I was insistent upon) so I had it in writing:

"From: MBUSA_CAC@mbusa.com [mailto:MBUSA_CAC@mbusa.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2015 12:11 PM
To: _______
Subject: Message from Mercedes-Benz USA LLC

Dear Mr. ____
It was a pleasure speaking with you today.
To confirm our conversation, Mercedes-Benz is unable to offer assistance in regard to your engine concern. The request was reviewed at a local level by our field team, who looked into many factors including the 16,369 miles the vehicle was driven since the previous service.

SK
Case Manager
CAC Operations
Mercedes Benz USA, LLC
1-800-FOR MERCedes Ext ____
Fax (201)-476-6202"

I've also left voice mails as recent as this week (June 17) on cells of two MBUSA Operations Managers where I continue to receive no responses.

Last edited by krd2023; 06-18-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
At this point there is no sense with being courteous if they keep denying accountability. I say go with aggressive legal action.
Look at it this way; it's either $12K+ out of your pocket for engine replacment (dealer cost for new engine is less than $5K), $40K+ for new car (counting trade-in of non running vehicle), or xx dollars in legal fees that should result in getting your car fixed or replaced. Personally I'd spend the money on the attorney as it may benefit others with similar issues - maybe even class action or lemon law, in which case it wouldn't come out of your pocket. And this would let MB know they get away with non-accountability and hoping it will just go away by ignoring it.

Last edited by AJNader; 06-18-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:14 PM

MBUSA Response Letter dated 6/11/15

I finally received a response from MBUSA (see attached*) this week to our May 15th Demand Letter (see copy in my 6/8/15 post in this thread), now in the seventh week since my car is still sitting immobilized at the local Mercedes dealership. MBUSA continues to drag their feet by snail-mailing their letter, dated June 11, only to my attorney knowing I may receive a copy several days letter (rather than complying with our reasonable request that MBUSA respond to our May 15th Demand Letter via email by May 22nd).
Two words come to mind to describe MBUSA’s stance when I read their attached response: apathetic and directionless. Ironically, the letter is signed off by NB in Retention yet there is not a single retention effort cited in the letter. MBUSA is clear on what they won’t offer me, yet I don’t see any offer or options to help resolve my MB dilemma.
It is also clear in the letter that MBUSA only addresses one of several items in our Demand Letter. They isolated their focus on the lemon law rather than addressing the requests we made in our letter, including a reasonable trade-in value to be considered towards a new MB purchase. It appears to me they just want me (and many of you) to go away.
Their letter clearly shows MBUSA has no interest in assisting me, and no interest in keeping me as a customer. MBUSA appears to be okay with the fact that some of their Bluetec diesel engines will achieve a marginal lifespan despite both regular maintenance and our substantial investment in each MB.

(* note that names and sensitive information have been blackened-out in the letters to respect privacy)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MB_6_11_15response.pdf (706.2 KB, 528 views)
Old 07-10-2015, 08:14 AM

Can anyone please recommend a certified and available Mercedes tech in the western Montana (ideal for me) / northern Idaho / eastern Washington region who can assist me with this engine issue? I'm able to make time now to get a second opinion on what it will take to rebuild or replace my seized engine, while determining the cause of the engine failure. Any suggestions are appreciated, and thank you in advance!
Old 07-11-2015, 06:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Looking forward to hearing the results.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 GLK250 Bluetec
I for one would be very interested to know what an inexpensive oil analysis would turn up for status, particulate and possible "other fluids" in the oil. I'd be most curious to know if water or coolant has worked it's way in and created the sludge. It's also possible the crankcase venting is plugged or defective..

Good luck..
Old 07-13-2015, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
That reply from MB sound definitely sounds like they have considered the lemon law only and not the whole case. Unfortunately I think it's time to get a lawyer involved.....
I just hope MB aren't going back to the early 2000's with he "head in the sand" attitude that they finally shook off in 05/06.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:42 PM

Status on any related class-action, recalls, or remedies please? I'm experiencing a Mercedes nightmare currently. My 2010 ML350 BLUETEC's engine just seized at 82K miles, all after regular dealer maintenance in Montana and after several major dealer repairs since 2010 (including AdBlue heater and oil cooler seal leak @ approx. 65K miles, leading to catastrophic engine failure last week). Mercedes says they'll do nothing to assist as my 50K-mile warranty has expired, so my attorney is sending MBUSA a Demand Letter. I'm happy to join forces with others of you who are experiencing, or have experienced, similar issues with Mercedes!

I bought this car new, was my first Mercedes, and I adhered to the dealer maintenance schedule and proper steps whenever a warning light came on. Ironically, not a single warning light was on prior to the engine seizing. MBUSA has denied me any assistance in writing, as has the dealer. I'm reading everywhere of similar oil leaks / pressure issues with this engine. I have a list of major dealer repairs I had done since I bought this car new. I would expect MBUSA to accept accountability and am really disappointed so far in MBUSA. For similar experiences, see also : http://www.mbca.org/forum/2015-02-11...y#comment-form and https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-fo...ne-siezed.html
Since I started this thread in April 2015, it's now August 3rd and I've still received no offer of assistance or remedy from MBUSA. I've recently determined, through research and from assistance by some of you, that MBUSA has provided financial assistance to some MB owners for out-of-warranty repairs on engines with similar issue(s) as mine. I'd appreciate any information from anyone reading this post who knows of similar occurrences where MBUSA has provided assistance for engine repair / replacement due to a premature failing. Please feel free to post publicly or privately to me!

Last edited by krd2023; 08-03-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:25 AM

And this link contains several more examples of poor quality assurance along with inadequate customer support from MBUSA, with similarities to my experience with MBUSA so far this year:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...es.html?page=2

Old 08-06-2015, 07:52 AM

In an attempt to reach a resolution this year on my 2010 ML350 Bluetec engine failure, I'm actually negotiating a new Mercedes with the same dealer (in my hometown where it's convenient, while there are only two MB dealers in our entire state) while factoring a fair trade-in value on my immobilized 2010. I've recently requested MBUSA via email to assist in the transaction to no avail. The only word I've received from MBUSA in the last several weeks came two days ago via text from one of the Mercedes Benz After Sales Managers - USA, where I'll use his initials B.M. to respect his privacy. Our text exchange is quoted as follows (note: I only heard back from B.M. a day after my original text to him and only after my follow-up):

"Hi B.M., per my voice mail today, please email me - k...@......com and I'll reply with an important MBUSA update regarding my April engine failure. Thank you!

B.M., sorry to see there's still no word from you. I've escalated my issue accordingly to other personnel. -K

Hi K, once you had a lawyer send a demand letter to our corporate office, it was, is out of my control sir, sorry.

Thanks B.M., but surely you can understand that MBUSA was utterly unhelpful for weeks leading me to enlist attorneys (see my communication thread). I continue to demonstrate I'm willing to reach a resolution and buy another Mercedes. MBUSA continues to demonstrate that it's not willing to work with me at all. -K"

I've since gone straight to the top this week and I emailed the CEO of Mercedes Benz USA. I'll await a response and/or any further word from MBUSA to determine if I will buy another Mercedes.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:33 PM

In thread within link below, starting with posts in 2014, you'll see concerns raised about Mobil 1 ESP oil in the Bluetec V6 engines like mine (and the same oil as recommended and used throughout the life of my engine which lasted only 82K miles), and the propensity of this oil to prematurely gel and cause problems. A common question too in various threads concerns whether or not the recommended 10K oil change intervals are too long, or in other words, recommended oil changes should occur at shorter intervals despite synthetic use. The oil gel or sludge may exacerbate mechanical issues associated with this engine. See common issues, as I've experienced, here:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/gene...failure-2.html
Old 08-07-2015, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

KRD,
Surely you would not buy another Bluetec V6 engine powered car with the cloud hanging over their reliability?.

Any news from the mechanic who is pulling down the damaged motor?

Thanks for keeping us up to date on your progress.

John
Old 08-08-2015, 05:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
GL350
Originally Posted by Dog hauler
Hmmm. Let's see: You had an engine seize at 82k miles despite meticulous maintenance, the dealer told you go scratch and MB told you go f**k yourself and the horse you rode in on. On top of that, other diesel engine failures I'm reading about on this board involved the same scenario only some them were under warranty and MB still told 'em to buzz off.

And you want to buy another MB? From the same dealer? Holy cow! Have you thought that through?
KRD,
Surely you would not buy another Bluetec V6 engine powered car with the cloud hanging over their reliability?.

John
I thought the same thing quite some time ago...I feel sorry for the guy (and hope I don't end up in the exact same spot), but at some point you cut your losses. Going back for more abuse just doesn't make sense.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dog hauler
I thought the same thing quite some time ago...I feel sorry for the guy (and hope I don't end up in the exact same spot), but at some point you cut your losses. Going back for more abuse just doesn't make sense.
Thanks, Carsy and Dog hauler. I won't buy another Bluetec until I'm convinced of significant design improvements, but I will still consider buying another Mercedes if MBUSA assists me with my existing issue soon enough. In my search of an engine replacement, the dealer informed me that design changes have occurred and that he can't locate that same engine (I'd be going with a modified engine if I do have it replaced, indicating Mercedes has recognized design flaws and has made changes since the 2010 ML350 Bluetec engine type).

I'd rather take my time and do the right thing rather than concede to MBUSA's unwillingness to help to date. Meanwhile, hopefully some good can come out of my experience by informing you and others of how MBUSA is treating some customers experiencing engine flaws / failures.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well done, in the mean time do a relaxed look & a test drive or two in a few showrooms.

You may be surprised that MB is not the only car maker who can offer good engineering & driving experience.

John .
Old 08-15-2015, 09:33 PM

GL350

You may be surprised that MB is not the only car maker who can offer good engineering & driving experience.
You can tell from reading this thread that MB excels at offering good engineering and driving experience. We should all hope that they are, in fact, the only car maker to offer such a stellar experience. Sadly, though, they're not.

Man, haven't you read this thread? MB engines are blowing up and MB customer (dis)service is giving owners the finger. My engine hasn't blown up (yet, anyway), but MB customer service nonetheless found ways to give me the finger.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

"Man",I am speaking to suit myself .

My C Class diesel is almost 8 years old , has not had a problem ( touch wood) since coming out of warranty & nothing but niggles during. I service it myself so have had no contact with MB for 5 years.

My car " offers good engineering & driving experience".

I enjoying driving it every time I take it out.

I have read every word of this thread, young fella.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:11 PM

GL350
I presume that calling me "young fella" is supposed to be an insult, although I'm not sure why being a young man, all by itself, is something to insult. In any event, at 61, it's been quite a long time since I've been called "young fella." But I guess it's all relative.

Regardless, if what you read in this thread adds up in your mind to good engineering and driving experience (not to mention pleasant customer service), well, good for you. Still, your definition of those traits must be, shall we say, quite generous.

Truth-be-told, though, I'm glad your car is reliable. Reliability happens even to Yugos occasionally, I suppose.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

"Young Fella" is a complement. At 68 I am entitled !!

I like to be generous.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:23 AM

Well, after having run my own business now since 2003, I maintain that I can't do business with an unresponsive entity. If MBUSA won't even acknowledge my August outreach attempt (where I'm also requesting their assistance with a new MB purchase!), I won't proceed with purchasing another MB product. Below is a copy of my August email thread, which I also forwarded via email to the CEO of MBUSA requesting that someone assist me, to which I've received no response to date (names have been altered to respect privacy):

"8/4/2015
Hi (owner of local MB dealership),
Would you please ensure I receive some sort of acknowledgement today from MBUSA of their receipt of my 8/3 email below? My 8/3 email to John F. bounced back to me, and John’s cell # 95_________ is inactive indicating he may no longer be employed by MBUSA. Additionally, Brian M. (spelling?) (MBUSA’s Western Regional After Sales Manager @ cell 9___________) texted me today indicating that since I have attorneys involved he’s unable to help me. I replied to Brian that the only reason I’ve involved attorneys is because MBUSA was unwilling to assist me at all for weeks (now months). I’ll be ready to resume our discussions on the new Mercedes purchase once I see an acknowledgement from MBUSA. Thanks for your continued assistance,

K______

8/3/2015
John F. and MBUSA,
I’m writing to inform you that my case against MBUSA is gaining momentum, and I’ve still not heard from MBUSA with any attempt to resolve my April 2015 engine failure (please see email thread below). Following is my public post today in my online thread which gives you an indication of my pursuit:

Since I started this thread in April 2015, it's now August 3rd and I've still received no offer of assistance or remedy from MBUSA. I've recently determined, through research and from assistance by some of you, that MBUSA has provided financial assistance to some MB owners for out-of-warranty repairs on engines with similar issue(s) as mine. I'd appreciate any information from anyone reading this post who knows of similar occurrences where MBUSA has provided assistance for engine repair / replacement due to a premature failing. Please feel free to post publicly or privately to me!”

as publicly found here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-fo...ml#post6515893

Finally, the kind folks at the _________ dealership here in _________ have been working with me to determine how to best credit my immobilized 2010 ML350 Bluetec towards a new Mercedes (dealership owner is on this email). Perhaps you will find it prudent at this juncture to assist me and the _________ dealership with this new transaction.

I remain available to discuss this matter and next steps whenever you’d like to contact me.

Best regards,

K______
4_________ cell "

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: Another 2010 ML350 Bluetec engine seized