1982 300sd - Brake fluid leak location

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1982 300sd
1982 300sd - Brake fluid leak location

Hi.

I picked up a 300sd for scrap value, and drove it home.

During the last 10 minutes of my 90 minute drive, I was using my brakes, and they suddenly went to the floor. I had very little brakes left, but I was able to make it home.

I have a leak coming from the front passenger side of the car, but I cannot find exactly where it is coming from. The brake hose is fine.

I was hoping from the picture, somebody could tell me of a common failpoint or something. I will in the meantime be working on flushing fluids and changing filters so I can have a dd.

Input appreciated. Thank you.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
With a leak like that it should be easy to locate with a good torch. Possibly from the rear of the master brake cylinder.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1982 300sd
For anyone that's curious, or anyone that might have the same question in the future, the leak was coming from the steel brake line that runs under the battery tray through the fender well.

The car had been sitting for years before I got it, and a family of mice made themselves very happy under the battery tray. I literally took about 10-14 pounds of stuff out before I saw metal. All the gunk they had in there caused the brake line to rust and bust. I fixed it using pressure fittings until my new pre-bent line gets here. I also found a vacuum line under there that was chewed up. Fixing this line solved my hard 1-2 shift.

Thank for the interest.