Sponsored by:

Should I sell??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C300 4Matic, 2011 GL450, 2005 ML500, 2010 GL350 and 2003 SLK230
Should I sell??

I have a 2010 GL350 with 65k miles and love the freaking thing. I keep reading these horror stories and keep asking myself if I should sell this thing before getting stuck with a major headache. I bought it with 55k miles and did oil changes at 5k and already did the oil cooler seals. I have the service records and it's already had the front struts/bags done. Bluetec heater done and already had a turbo replaced. My friend who works for Benz did the oil cooler seals and noticed a lot of carbon in intake and he cleaned it as best as he could. I'm scared of engine failures as some have mentioned. I think I should just bite the bullet and get a Audi/BMW diesel and call it a day.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
Get the extended warranty!
Old 06-15-2015, 10:31 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
1997 E300D
Carbon in the intake is normal, and is not an indicator of future engine problems. It comes from the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation). If I were in your situation I would use synthetic oil and change at about 5000 miles, and continue to enjoy the vehicle.

I am assuming that your concern for the engine is because of the failure of a few due to "sludging" or oil loss. I do not claim to understand what is causing the problem, but it seems to happen to folks that do not give the oil quality and level, the respect it deserves.

I have a Toyota that has an engine with what they call an "oil gelling" problem, that others have called a sludging problem. They extended the warranty on the engine, but did not make any comments on how to avoid the problem. I am using good oil changed frequently approach.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
GL350
Originally Posted by efzauner
Get the extended warranty!
Read some of the posts on seized engines. Claims for motors failing within the warranty period are being denied.

After reading about engines failing at fairly low mileage and despite good maintenance, on top of my personal experiences with really poor MB customer service, I'm a bit nervous about keeping my GL.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
formerly drove a 2010 ML350 BLUETEC, currently drive Mazda, Chevrolet, and Toyota
Hi B Marques- sorry to be a downer here, but I'd caution you only because of my current MB saga as detailed in my thread here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-fo...ne-seized.html

I have to agree too with Dog hauler and efzauner here regarding how MBUSA is treating some of its customers like me. Do your research, be diligent, and consider an extended warranty if it's reasonable.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:39 PM

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
2012 GL 350
MB sold 10,000 GL350's in 2010, a bit more in 2011 and a bit more again in 2012. There are about 6 guys that had 'engine failure' that are saying that it's "a common failure" because it happened to them. I don't deny that having an engine fail at relatively low mileage is a bummer, but it's not common by any stretch. Don't panic, do the maintenance and odds are (see above) that you'll be fine.

Also, learn to work on the car yourself. Paying $125 an hour for labor is just plain stupid unless you work in investment banking. This isn't rocket science and turning wrenches isn't difficult.

I've had my 2012 GL350 two years now, put 25,000 miles on it with only a few small issues (bought it used with 20k on the clock.) Covered under warranty so far, but I'm not the least bit worried about next year when the warranty expires. Nothing repaired so far would have taken any time at all to diagnose or replace in the garage in a couple hours.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C300 4Matic, 2011 GL450, 2005 ML500, 2010 GL350 and 2003 SLK230
Just worried because every issue that seems to be common has happened to me. I am also hearing the start up noise of timing chain stretch issue also.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:53 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
formerly drove a 2010 ML350 BLUETEC, currently drive Mazda, Chevrolet, and Toyota
Originally Posted by sak335
MB sold 10,000 GL350's in 2010, a bit more in 2011 and a bit more again in 2012. There are about 6 guys that had 'engine failure' that are saying that it's "a common failure" because it happened to them. I don't deny that having an engine fail at relatively low mileage is a bummer, but it's not common by any stretch. Don't panic, do the maintenance and odds are (see above) that you'll be fine.

Also, learn to work on the car yourself. Paying $125 an hour for labor is just plain stupid unless you work in investment banking. This isn't rocket science and turning wrenches isn't difficult.

I've had my 2012 GL350 two years now, put 25,000 miles on it with only a few small issues (bought it used with 20k on the clock.) Covered under warranty so far, but I'm not the least bit worried about next year when the warranty expires. Nothing repaired so far would have taken any time at all to diagnose or replace in the garage in a couple hours.
Hi sak335,
I'm one of those guys who's had the engine fail at low mileage under regular dealer maintenance. I know there are more than six of us, and I also know the Internet reveals common threads of issues related to these engines that MB is not fully addressing. My issue is this: MBUSA must own up to any deficiencies or failures when it comes to their product. In my case, they've refused to recognize accountability which will turn away reasonable customers.
I'd love to make time to become a certified MB mechanic so I can do the work myself to ensure it's done correctly. Unfortunately, my profession and family commitments preclude me from that and I instead entrust mechanics at the dealership to cover all maintenance items for me during my regular visits.

Last edited by krd2023; 06-23-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
BM,
I reckon if you continue to change your oil at 5000 miles you will have nothing to fear from sludging. Check your dipstick regularly & interior of filter body casing for any signs when changing filter..
Old 06-24-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
2012 GL 350
Sorry for your troubles. This engine is not unique to the GL; it's installed in probably 100,000 units per year. I assure you that the failure rate is not as significant as you think. I'm not saying you didn't have a problem, but I'm also not saying that there is anything nefarious going on by Mercedes, and I'm no apologist (I'm a BMW guy after all and this is my first Benz.) A few engine failures don't mean that there is an underlying problem and after all, correlation does not infer causality. There are nearly infinite mechanisms by which your failure could have occurred, but I don't see that you have taken the time (or expense) to determine what that cause is.

When I blow up engines on the race car, I take them apart and figure out what went wrong. Perhaps you don't have the skills to do so, but I suggest that if you want to find the answer that you find a good independent mechanic to do that for you; there are plenty out there. Taking it to the dealer isn't working here for you because you are looking to lay blame, and they're not going to work to point the finger at themselves. Unless and until you have a third party determine the cause, your complaint is going to go nowhere. If your mechanic is able to find a particular part that is intentionally poorly designed, and your lawyer is good enough to determine that MB should have done something differently (good luck), then you'll certainly triumph in the court of law, if not the court of public opinion. My experience is that you won't be successful. The vehicle made it through the warranty period and beyond before failure. Again, sorry to hear that happened, but sometimes that's life.

Originally Posted by krd2023
Hi sak335,
I'm one of those guys who's had the engine fail at low mileage under regular dealer maintenance. I know there are more than six of us, and I also know the Internet reveals common threads of issues related to these engines that MB is not fully addressing. My issue is this: MBUSA must own up to any deficiencies or failures when it comes to their product. In my case, they've refused to recognize accountability which will turn away reasonable customers.
I'd love to make time to become a certified MB mechanic so I can do the work myself to ensure it's done correctly. Unfortunately, my profession and family commitments preclude me from that and I instead entrust mechanics at the dealership to cover all maintenance items for me during my regular visits.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Engine failures happen be it a $60,000 Mercedes or a $12,000 Versa. Sadly as its been said finding out why it failed is not an easy nor a cheap task. While you would hope that regular maintenance would keep the car going to 150-200k miles with no issues something that doesn't happen.
Sadly owning out of warranty cars like all of us here its a gamble we took either keeping the car out of warranty or buying it used. If a small percentage of people having the engine issues bothers you then maybe buying either a new MB with a warranty or if you can't afford new then a new cheaper SUV would help you sleep at night (that's why some people love leasing cars.)

If you keep up with maintenance and keep any eye out for issues your engine should go a very long time (look at sprinters.) Yes you may have the oil cooler leak and if you are unlucky like me need a timing chain ($2,400) but I don't have the desire to sell my car yes it was expensive and the oil cooler fix almost killed me but having that done I am confidant I will be able to drive the car a very long time.

Last edited by samaritrey; 06-24-2015 at 05:27 PM.