V6 320CDI Oil Cooler Seals update

Old 07-10-2015, 12:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
V6 320CDI Oil Cooler Seals update

Cross posted from X164 and W 164 forum

OK,
So lots of people have had to replace oil cooler seals, so I have been worrying about mine.
Especially since I was told they were probably bad based on oil dripping from the real weep hole.

When I bought the GL (2008) in Jan '13 at 96k miles, there was a little oil film on below the weep hole. (The start of the worry)

Then I had a very slow drip from the bottom of the engine. Nothing bad, but two to three drips every time I parked in the garage.

With every service I was told I might need cooler oil seals soon.

Well, one day I found a BIG oil spot (and the loss of about 1/2 quart of oil).

Fearing the worse, but found the oil cap was not seated properly, so I bought a new oil cap and had the engine cleaned a bit.

Since then I have been told the oil seals need to be changed, but then tell them the bad oil cap story, and ask to clean up what they find.

The last service found NO OIL leaking!!

I wonder how many people have had oil cooler seals done because some fool spilled oil while filling the engine or because of a bad oil cap?
Old 07-10-2015, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Interesting but i have a feeling your car got new oil cooler seals before you purchased it.
Glad you caught the oil cap fast as I have heard that they can cause alternator failure (oil leaks down onto it)
As for the oil in the valley leaking out the weep hole that is curious as for it to travel that way it would take a lot if I remember correctly.

That said if you do the repairs yourself you can tell if they seals were leaking or not as it is very obvious. That said what dealer would say it is an oil cooler seal and then when they figured out it was the oil cap say oh our bad. I noticed that when people post their bills for the repairs they almost always replace the oil cap seal and the turbo seal.

Last edited by samaritrey; 07-28-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
As long as mine does not start dripping again, I am happy.