Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY of OM642 failures?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 12:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
MY of OM642 failures?

I have spent hours reading these OM642 failure threads and it's all a blur to me now. However, based on what I am reading, it does seem to me that there is some sort of problem with the Bluetec, or at least certain model years. If my memory serves, most or all of the catastrophic failures seem to be on the 2010-2011 models. And most of the mileage at failure seems to be under 100k, sometimes well under. Are those with newer (2012+) models having similar issues?

Yes, I do realize that older models will have more miles, but the 2010-2011s are 5 to 6 years old now. Seems like enough time has passed to see if the failures are spilling over into the 2012-2013s.

Also, are there any known design changes that have occurred since MY 2011?

The reason I ask is that I am shopping GLs right now. With 5 children 4-17, and all above average height, most of the other 7 seater SUVs aren't really big enough. I have a 2008 Yukon XL, and have had two Suburbans, and an Excursion, and was trying to find something a little less truck-like for the wife this time around. The key is that I need room for adults in all three rows of seating. That seems to limit me to the trucks or the GL.

I am also a diesel fan, so I really was most interested in the GL350, but not if they are unreliable. I was hoping that maybe the newer ones were more reliable. I might pay up for a newer MY if there was any reason to believe that they were. Otherwise, I will probably focus on the GL450 (with the V8 bi-turbo).

I appreciate any feedback.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:09 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Just make sure that you have a super extended warranty----alternatively lease one--transportation costs are a fixed family expense regradless of own or lease---it's cash flow!!----do you have it
Old 08-27-2015, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 1987 560SL
The R-classes are apparently slightly more roomier than the GL.
Important thing is, always use diesel fuel additive and as added insurance, disable the EGR.

Other than that, they engines should run problem free for a long time.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the feedback. I have driven the 350, 450, and 550 so far. I found a nice diesel with 20k on it, but I can't seem to shake my reliability concerns, so will probably will go with the 450, or a 550 if I find a good deal on one. That's if I go with the MB at all, but I am leaning that direction.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Change the recommended oil twice as often as the service book states would be a good start to reliability. Do not use bio fuel over 5% would help also & have a full tranny flush ( including torque convertor ) each 39,000 miles.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:54 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
formerly drove a 2010 ML350 BLUETEC, currently drive Mazda, Chevrolet, and Toyota
Thanks for asking, txjeep, and here are my two cents .... Since I started my thread in May of this year (please see here https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-fo...ne-seized.html ) , I remain perplexed at MBUSA’s virtual silence as it relates to my attempts to resolve a premature engine failure on my 2010 ML350 Bluetec with OM642 engine (which, as you can see from several reliable online sources, is an engine prone to problems). I’ve gone so far as to offer to buy another MB from the same dealer if MBUSA helps negotiate a fair trade-in value, yet MBUSA won’t engage. Here is my status update including some revelations as of today, now almost 5 months since the engine seized and my ML350 Bluetec continues to sit immobilized on the local MB dealer lot:

- The MB-recommended oil, Mobil 1 ESP from the dealer, was used throughout the life of the car and changed at 10K mile-recommended intervals and when the dealer recommended an oil change at services (where dealer services were done at least twice per year since I bought the car new). The oil level on dipstick was within safe operating ranges at all times (before and after the engine seized, and oil level was checked by me at frequent intervals). If oil changes on this car should be done more frequently, then MB shouldn’t recommend this 10K mile interval in the owner’s manual and maintenance booklets. Since 2010, I see that Mobil 1 ESP is no longer the recommended oil (and sources show it’s prone to sludging), the MBUSA Western Regional After Sales Manager I was dealing with no longer works for the company, and the service technician in charge of my car services at my local dealer no longer works there, the dealer can't locate an OM642 for engine replacement because of necessary engine modifications since 2010 and stated that I'll need to go with a different engine model, all for mysterious reasons to me.
- I’ve realized from recent research that I paid partially or fully for premature repairs since 2010 which should have been fully-covered by MBUSA and/or the dealer, including repairs involving glow plugs, adblue heater and pump, oil coolant seal leaks, a lunge or surge while driving sometimes from 1st gear to 2nd but never diagnosed, the engine “stuttered” when first accelerating at random times, battery replaced twice (indicating faulty electrical system but never diagnosed), and more, all of which is documented on dealer letterhead and accessible in MBUSA systems.
- As indicated prior in this thread, the only recent response I’ve received from MBUSA was a standard letter indicating they deem my car is not a lemon and will therefore not provide me with any assistance.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Interested to know more about Mobil 1 no longer being recommended.? I presume it is the one with 229.51 spec?.

I used Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 at first but changed over to Shell because of procurement problems , price & leaking lid on 20 litre drums. The Mobil dealer presented me with a drum with oil spilt down the side which was covered with dust from transport.

It would be interesting to forensically examine your engine for engineering faults & have the oil tested. You could easily drop a little oil sample out & send it to Blackstones . It may reveal a lot about the problem. I do not think it is overly expensive.http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Interesting info here :- http://www.blackstone-labs.com/diesel-engine.php

Good luck in your quest & keep us posted.

John.

Last edited by Carsy; 09-04-2015 at 05:38 PM. Reason: adding info