Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just acquired a 320CDI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 02:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
Thanks for sharing. It looks like your taste in cars and mine are very close. I was looking for a 2001-2005 Golf TDI manual (but 4 door) for the longest time but people were asking silly money for them. I like diesels and I prefer manual transmissions personally. My 1987 300D was the first auto I owned, the second being my E55. This 320 CDI came up and is fully loaded which seems to be rare for a CDI in North America. It came with Parktronic, Trunk closer, keyless go, cooled/heated seats, dynamic seats, rear visors … some of the stuff that I had to retrofit to my E55. So when it came along, the price was a little higher than I wanted to pay (but still a good deal overall I think) and so were the miles but I snapped it up. It is so much more car than the TDI although I think the TDI would be more fun to drive. I am also super impressed with the mileage. I managed to get 40.8 mpg average on a 300+ mile run and believe me I was not gentle on all of it and there was some traffic.

I have been fairly busy with this car, there were quite a few things wrong with the car in terms of stuff that did not work. I fixed the Keyless Go handles, and keyless go knob. Here is a link to the handles: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post6695550

Parktronic didn’t work 4 sensors were not functioning properly - fixed, but be careful who you buy from on fleabay. I had bought some from China and they simply did not work at all.

Trunk closer wiring was all messed up. Someone had tried to resolder the wires and it was a complete hack. I fixed all that heat shrinking the wires properly. The insulation tape was all sticky and falling off.

Glow plug controller was replaced, although I will never need it for anything but passing emissions (getting rid of the CEL).

The fuel sender was leaking. I JB weld coated the sender inside and out and used Permatex ultra on the seals. It seems to have fixed the leak for now. I will be looking for reasonably priced senders on line but am thinking even if I replace it, it will probably leak after a few years so I think I may see how long the JB Weld coated sender holds up.

Side vents weren’t working properly - good old german plastics that break and the vents come apart.

I changed out the climate control controller for a nicer digital one with the rest function.

I have a tune now (not from Green Diesel Engineering). I found someone in Poland (of all places) that could give me a tune that gives 425 Lb-Ft Torque, 220-240 HP, disables EGR and swirl valves. For $100 + $10 programming cable from Ebay, the price is decent. I couldn’t quite justify the Green Diesel Engineering price of over $600 for a tune. I may take the plunge later, but this tune is pretty decent although maybe not quite as good as GDEs.

Right now I am contemplating whether or not to replace the injector seat washers as preventative measure to prevent “black death”. I can see clearly that injector 3 has had experienced it before (based on the fossilized remains of black death on the injector connector) and appears to have been fixed. I am thinking of replacing the rest, but hesitant due to the nightmare stories of people snapping off bolts and damaging injectors.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:03 AM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
W211 e320 CDI
I've been pretty lucky so far I guess with injectors, when they do go though...AMG parts are going in. The shorter duration of the spray envent(s) compared to stock injectors running higher duty cycles has advantages I cannot overlook. I have EGT but as of now it never gets dangerously warm. Mind PM-img me info about Polish connection for tuning, I have a few more custom edits I would like to make, I'd be interested at that low price to see what happens, I can always go back since I have copies of GDE mapping and flash box.

It's funny about similar tastes, I find common threads between diesel junkies and general aviation folks and the more interesting motorcycle folks I work with daily. Our shop parking lot looks like a used exotic car lot, Bentley Turbo R, Lotus Esprit turbo, Ferrari 308, TDI's, Audi RS4, QS5, Roush Mustang...none of us are wealthy folks, we do all our work and help each other, bought a shared car lift for employees...you just never know what weird and awesome car will show up next at our motorcycle dealership. I'm looking into importing a 89-91 Z32 twin turbo RHD from Japan now...cause they are fun and weird and cheap with a timeless look.
Attached Thumbnails Just acquired a 320CDI-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Micah / AF1 Rac; 02-22-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:05 AM

W211 e320 CDI
My CDI is straight piped from turbo to tail, rat rod sort of way, still pretty quiet.
Attached Thumbnails Just acquired a 320CDI-image.jpeg  
Old 03-22-2016, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
Well I have been traveling quite a bit .. about a week ago, I decided to remove the glow plugs. I had added a little acetone with ATF mix to the plug areas. The engine was nice and warm. I managed to remove them all fairly easily. I have 6 replacement plugs, but the ones already in there looked very new. So I added anti seize to all of them and put them back in. Then I started to get trouble code 2138-002 (I think) and it was indicating glow plug 6 had a short. I measured the plug and it appeared to be OK .. I then looked at the harness and the glow plug controller (I just replaced it), but everything seemed OK. I did this 2 times and then decided to swap glow plugs with cylinder 5, it seemed to follow the plug. I remeasured the plug and it was indeed shorted but only at the threads that go into the head, for some reason, if you measure further down the plug, the resistance is OK, I had just assumed that any where along the body of the plug would be OK. I replaced that plug with a brand new one and no other issues since. So somehow, it got damaged during removal.So just a heads up to people that this can happen. It was a little frustrating at first because I thought the controller had gone bad again .. since it was number 6 GP giving trouble again. The plugs are easy to get out so I may have this lubrication maintenance as a once every one to two year thing.

I am using the optilube now also .. what do you guys use for dispensing? I am using a 100 ml syringe but the tip is really short to get into the fuel tank and I think the optilube does not agree with the plastic/rubber in the syringe as the plunger is getting harder to move. Maybe a turkey baster might work
Old 03-22-2016, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 1987 560SL
I bought the dispensing kit for the Opti-lube. Comes with a 250mL bottle, 500mL bottle, and a pump that fits into the 5L jug.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL-320 CDI, GL-350
320 CDI - DPF

I've had my 320 for about four years and have run through the standard maintenance items, including replacing the rear and front airbags. I love the silky diesel engine but hate the exhaust and emissions system. The 320 doesn't have DEF but what I've found is that the DPF will get clogged over time. For those not paying attention, MB wants $4k+ to replace your DPF but my indy put the hose to it and clean it out.

I have moved my 320 on but if you're going to keep yours around for a while, delete the DPF and go straight pipe just as the previous poster did.

Love the diesel hate the exhaust!
Old 05-18-2016, 10:52 PM

W211 e320 CDI
Every bend, radius and straight tube section was ordered off Amazon...have welders and skills, use them!