Sponsored by:

Cost to replace injection pump 98 Turbodiesel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 500 Sport
Cost to replace injection pump 98 Turbodiesel

Worse case scenario if I have to replace IP how much?
Old 11-15-2015, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W210 W140
I've never had to replace mine. However, if you were to go and get this done by a mechanic and buy a rebuilt pump it wouldn't surprise me if it was around $2k.
You can probably take your bad pump to a Bosch rebuild shop yourself and get it done if you can have that much down time on your car. The labor shouldn't be too bad, but you'll want to do searches and research.
If you DIY, you want to make sure that if you do remove the pump that you don't disturb the timing.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:36 PM

SL 500 Sport
hope its not that bad, but.......

Thanks Ed,
My mechanic is looking at it now , he's just not sure if the leaking part can be replaced.
My mechanical skills aren't even close to tackling this and I work full time + so I wouldn't have time in any case.
Dad was able to do this sort of operations with VW diesels back in the 80's and it was a pretty expensive project. Seems like 2k would be a pretty good estimate but I'm hoping it won't require total rebuilding.
Dan

QUOTE=EdzBenz;6615961]I've never had to replace mine. However, if you were to go and get this done by a mechanic and buy a rebuilt pump it wouldn't surprise me if it was around $2k.
You can probably take your bad pump to a Bosch rebuild shop yourself and get it done if you can have that much down time on your car. The labor shouldn't be too bad, but you'll want to do searches and research.
If you DIY, you want to make sure that if you do remove the pump that you don't disturb the timing.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-20-2015, 02:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
"My mechanic is looking at it now , he's just not sure if the leaking part can be replaced."

This is not rocket science---everyons been talking about leaks---- where is the pump leaking---there are all sorts of replacement parts available on EPC-----show us the beef or is this a make work post!!

Like I have said this is not rocket science---simply tell us----where is the leak repeat where is the leak!!

Last edited by Plutoe; 11-23-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 1987 560SL
Find a good diesel mechanic, and take it there. Getting it rebuilt should cost under $1,000.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:35 PM

SL 500 Sport
more like rocket surgery

I didn't get good look at leak before I took it to mechanic but just wanted to brace myself for worst case scenario.
I absolutely appreciate the posts related to leaks and am trying to get more familiar with MB diesels.
Originally Posted by Plutoe
"My mechanic is looking at it now , he's just not sure if the leaking part can be replaced."

This is not rocket science---everyons been talking about leaks---- where is the pump leaking---there are all sorts of replacement parts available on EPC-----show us the beef or is this a make work post!!
Old 11-23-2015, 03:39 PM

SL 500 Sport
Thanks Marc I definitely feel like I have a better handle on what this might cost

Originally Posted by marc hanna
Find a good diesel mechanic, and take it there. Getting it rebuilt should cost under $1,000.