Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOS --Student needs advice on 300D (1985)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 300D
SOS --Student needs advice on 300D (1985)

I bought a cheap 300d with a 617. Roughly 300k (intermittent odometer) . Nothing can be more expensive than a cheap Mercedes, yes; This car isn't too bad. I paid 800. I was able to tune and clean the driveline cheaply. Quite frankly my life has been crisis after another for hte last several years and I didn't have much of a choice but to purchase the car. I relocated to take care of my parents and though an emergency, I decided to maintain my courses several hours away in Austin. Luckily my courses got sweitched to online and I only make the drive every other week for testing.

I have a few problems I have not been able to answer on my own and need some help. I have to get this car inspected (safety) and the main concern there is I cannot get any headlight beams. Fuses are good and I cleaned the fuse insert w/Brasso. I replaced the headlight switch yielding the same results (suggested at purchased by seller). IDK how you all feel about this site, but the link will show you the appropriate wiring diagram for the switch in my 85.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123...ight-knob.html

When my wiring is as shown in the picture, Ihave nothing but parking lights at any switch position minus Off.. I switched two wires once and I then had fogs but it was supposedly incorrect and I have tried the pictured diagram again since then anyway - Im only getting parking lights currently.- how can I use my meter to test for power at the headlight harness at the bulbs?
The transmission vac control module thingy, adjacent to the injection pump, has a vac. line that goes into the passenger cabin. I think it goes into the steering column somewhere but any schematic I view cuts off before it reveals where exactly it end up.
View Transmission Vac. Schematics Here:
http://peterschmidtransmission.com/m...tics_77-85.asp
Note: I drive an 85 617 federal version and the vac. line I am referring to is labeled (a).

Once the car would not turn off with the key. That is nothing new in this region of the woods, I know; however I was also not able to use the emergency lever to kill it. I received minimal feedback. I dont remember how i tested the shutoff valve, but I used a handpump and for the life of me I want to say it did not hold any vac. I replaced it and still no feedback from key but I was receiving feedback from the emergency kill lever. Out of convenience I wired my handpump thru firewall to shutoff valve to kill the car from inside. Today I tried to use the lever and it did not work but my handpump did. Id Love to fix this. thoughts?

1985 w213 617.9xx, trans:722.3xx