Transmission flair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Bluetec E320
Transmission flair

Hey guys,

I have an 08 e 320 Bluetec , V6. That I recently aquired for the wifey and I steal it on occasion and love the torque.
Yesterday on one such occasion after a spirited drive on highway after returning from doctors appointment as wife needed to be somewhere.
She immediately took the car on a local run and when pulling away from a light turning onto busier road she said the car just revved as if in neutral.

She coasted to side of road and then it grabbed again and she proceeded to her destination about 1/4 mile up the road.
Called me to come check it out and when I went for a ride it was perfect.
No hesitation, flaring, shudder etc.

I've researched these 722.9G transmission and this all seems to point to the connector plate that has the shoddy circuitry?
The car has 67k miles and was dealer serviced and runs excellent beside this one blip.
Has anyone else experienced this on the Bluetec or did the use the same plate across the platform.
Secondly if she continues to drive can this do any collateral damage to the clutches etc?
I know there's a company in Bulgaria and one in California that repairs this part but haven't had any direct contact with either

http://www.softelectronic.com/prodCat/Cars-1.html

Flea bay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-7G-...-/331355559445

Does anyone know of a reader that will pull the tranny codes without getting hosed by the dealer.?
I was under the impression that this issue as fixed but maybe the 08 with a mid to late 07 build date are still affected.?

Chris
Old 12-12-2015, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
You should not have the conductor plate issue on an 08. First thing to check is fluid level. Not an easy DIY. Don't let flair continue or you will burn out a clutch pack. You need a Star or something like a Snap On Solus to read Benz transmission codes.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ce-thread.html

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 12-12-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:35 PM

2008 Bluetec E320
Hey Glyn,
Thanks for prompt response. I may take it to the local MB dealer and get a printout of what service record they have.
Since it was traded into a dealership and then sold on at auction I doubt they did any extensive work prior to auctioning it off.
It may well be in need of a transmission flush and filter change. Do you know if this year had the drain plug on torque converter to empty it completely ?
I do recall reading about that and somehow I seem to remember certain years didn't have it.

If the weather was nicer I would have a go at it myself. I believe the process is similar to the VW / Audi Tranny change. I will check the link.

Anyways hopefully it just needs a service and new fluid will take care of it.
Thanks againfor your help.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:27 PM

2008 Bluetec E320
I've been reading quite a bit on the transmission fluid and the approved vendors. She'll , Titan Fuchs etc. a lot of debate as to go with the newest approved version or stick with older approved version.
I know there's a different fluid for the 722.9G 7 speed that the earlier 722.6 , 5 speed. The computercontrol module is encased in the pan in the 7 speed as well as different gearing etc.

Does anyone know how to determine if I have the upgraded transmission Pan? Other than visual inspection. I know the improved pan held more fluid and thus extended operable life, supposedly ��http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ssion_pan.html

How may quarts should it take to do service assuming I have the torque converter drained. I've read between 4 and 9 depending on service and draining method .

Any one sell complete package , fluid filter , bolts , gasket etc.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Ignore all the BS spoken. You have a 722.9 transmission (Not 722.9 Plus fitted from approx Aug 2010 production) You must use a fluid approved against 236.14. The Blue 236.15 fluid for the 722.9 Plus transmission is not reverse compatible.

The only way to easily identify the new pan & white spill over tube is as follows. Somewhere like RMEuropean can sell you everything you need but not as a kit. I know of no kits.

With a dry cooler circuit you can use up to 9.7 litres. Please drain the converter. It holds nearly half the fluid charge.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 12-15-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:28 PM

2008 Bluetec E320
Hey Glyn,

Don't mean to sound like a worry wart , just want to make sure as a newbie to the Mercedes diesel I have the right information with the conflicting BS out there.
Thanks for the straight up Clarification. I wasn't aware of the "plus"version of the 722.9

I ordered the whole Shabang including a bunch of other filters for engine Bay, fuel, oil etc. I did a find a kit of sorts including filter, pan gasket, pan bolts, torque converter plug.
Going to show it some Love for Christmas.

Thanks again Glyn, much appreciated.

On a side not I read an article recently about your neck of the woods been super value right now for any vacationers or retirees.
I'm from Ireland originally and may look to retire abroad somewhere I can get better bang for my buck. Couple years down a the road.
Thanks again and have a great Christmas.

Last edited by Chrismak; 12-15-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
That pops up as only 7 speed topic, so I ask here for recommendation.
Just bought a car with one and have records that the only MB recommended service was done at 40k miles.
The car is closing on 170k and MB is not recommending any service.
Shall I worry?