Sponsored by:

Cross country fueling question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 ML450h
Question Cross country fueling question

Hi - I am relatively new to diesels and was hoping someone could give me some info. I live in Chicago so we have the Illinois biodiesel issue (with gas stations incentivized to use higher biodiesel mixtures). Last year MB finally didn't require Illinois buyers to sign an agreement voiding the warranty if you used anything more than B5. I still try to be careful but I haven't seen a diesel pump yet that shows the biofuel percentage. In any event, I am driving to Arizona and wondered if gas stations (MO, OK, TX, NM AND AZ) typically have pure diesel, which I believe is Diesel No. 2.

Will getting the "right" kind of diesel be a problem at all?

Thanks, MLTDWN (2015 ML 250 Bluetec)
Old 01-26-2016, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
You could always put a quality made 25 litre drum * syphoning hose in your boot to give you extra range & a better choice of fuel. .

I have a range of over 1100km in my C Class diesel so expect you would have similar so with the extra drum you should be able to go major city to major city.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Not to worry, all you have to do is stop at any truck stop and across the nation there are only two non bio selections that is on road and off road--they are refined to the same spec but off road does not have federal road taxes and includes red dye--the on road--same smell, same 5 parts per million sulfur with taxes.

Just don't get caught with off road in the tank while on road---big fines--however how many on road MB diesels have you seen being tested by the FDOT folks??

Have a safe trip---buy the wife a pizza!!
Old 01-26-2016, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 ML450h
Thanks fellas.

Carsy - I'm just a simple Chicago guy, so my first reaction to your response was "litres", "drum", "boot" - what is he talking about?? THEN, upon further reflection, I got it. Interesting idea, but will probably pass. I'm too old to have to go too long without taking a pee, so I might as well stop at a gas station

Plutoe - good to know and thanks for the tips. Will stay away from off road fuel ("don't do the crime if you can't do the time" so FDOT would probably catch me) AND I'll buy my wife the pizza. She's already complaining about my not ever wanting to stop (having to pee aside) - and we haven't even left yet!
Old 01-30-2016, 03:49 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2020 MB E450, 2007 VW GTI
If you want to use biodiesel on your trip you can locate biodiesel stations along your route on the biodiesel.org site. For example, here is a view of stations selling biodiesel between Chicago and Phoenix: