Sponsored by:

E320 CDI Will Crank But Won't Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E320 CDI, 04 Sprinter 2500 158"
E320 CDI Will Crank But Won't Start

I posted this over in the W211 forum, but figured I should post it here as well. Unfortunately I don't have a way to read fuel rail pressure right now, but am looking into buying software so I can read it. Any help would be appreciated.

Ok, so I am stumped. Friday I stopped after driving about 25 miles and had trouble getting may car started again. It cranked for a while without starting, then it would start to fire and shut off, then it finally started up and ran normally. Sunday I did some test drives and everything seemed fine. Monday I drove it to work (27 miles) and when I got there I checked and it wouldn't start. After work it started fine, so I drove to the dealer and bought the crank position sensor and drove home, where I checked and it started. So, I replaced the crank position sensor and it was much more difficult to get started cold. I drove it to the store and back, and when I got home I couldn't get it started again. That is when I read the codes and saw the P2043 cam position sensor code. So, worried that that might not fix it, I ordered a Mahle and had it overnighted. I put it in today and it still just cranks but won't start.

So, right now I am stumped since it hasn't given me any codes. I charged the battery and have verified that the low pressure pump is getting fuel to the filter. Right now I am thinking it could be a clogged filter, or possibly bad fuel. Without and trouble codes, I am having a really hard time pinpointing what it is. Does anyone have any ideas of other things I could check. If I can, I will change the fuel filter tomorrow. I tried today but it was 29F outside and I couldn't get the hoses off of the filter.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 E320 s4m, 94 c220, 88 300e
Any luck with this repair? I am in the same situation and looking for suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E320 CDI, Jetta 06 TDI, GLS450 20, Boat:2 Volvo TAMD75+1 Kubota genset
Any closure on these? Thanks