Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light remains due to DPF issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML320 CDI (diesel) SUV
Question Check Engine Light remains due to DPF issue

I have owned a 2007 ML320 CDI for the past 3 years. I obviously bought it used but to date it only has approx 60K miles on it. To make a LONG story short, over the last 2 years it has broken down on me over 10 times with the same symptoms: Out of the blue while driving, it would start to significantly lose power and in less than 30 seconds it would be dead and couldn't get it to do anything but turn on ignition for about 1-2 secs and then just die. The first time I took it to the dealership and they told me I needed a new turbo, new seals and a bunch of extra stuff that the previous owner had already completed when he had it last serviced (at a different dealership but they turn a blind eye to that). At this point I have less than 40K miles on it and I just don't believe them. I take it to another individual certified MB mechanic who is on his own and he tells me I dont need a new turbo but something with my emissions/exhaust is causing the turbo to shut down. He would fix it by replacing a pressure sensor but within a month or two I'd be right back with the same problem. Finally he figured out that my diesel particulate filter (DPT) was NOT rejuvenating at all which it should be doing every so often to keep the filter from mucking up which was causing my turbo to shut down, thus my SUV to just die. He manually started rejuvenating my filter but every time after about 3-4 weeks, same freaking problem......it would loose power and die. This guy supposedly had no idea what was going on with my vehicle. So, after doing some research online and talking to another MB mechanic, we concluded that the DPF was so clogged up at this point, there was no way manually rejuvenating it was truly cleaning it out 100%...more like cleaned it out about 20%.....just enough to get it running again but it took no time at all to build up enough muck and cause this repetitious problem of loosing power and wind up broken down in minutes. Also, my research showed that the 2006 and 2007 (mine) models were notorious for having DPF that didn't operate correctly which caused many issues. In the 2008 models, MB changed over to Bluetec and problems went away. It upsets me that MB didn't recall the 06 and 07 models due to the DPF malfunctioning. Over the last 2 or so years I've spent at least $2,000 in mechanic work and towing bills with no relief insight until my last mechanic figured it out. He basically said he could replace the DPF with a new one which would cost around $1500-$2000 plus labor, but the problem is going to keep happening as its a flaw in these filters. So, the only realistic alternative was to actually remove the DPF all together which is what we wound up doing about 3 months ago. I still have my catalytic converter and muffler so the only difference I see is that my SUV runs great and I'm not going broke and crazy trying to get it fixed. In my state we do not have emissions testing so it is perfectly legal (I verified with my state) to remove this filter. NOW, the only problem is that by doing this the "check engine" light is constantly on. No one can reprogram it due to the complexity so I wanted to remove the bulb. Well, after my mechanic took my instrument panel apart to remove the bulb, to his surprise there is no "bulb". It looks like a green circuit board and he doesnt know what needs to be removed to fix the check engine light. I am going to post some pictures so if anyone has any idea, I would be forever grateful. Thanks so much
Attached Thumbnails Check Engine Light remains due to DPF issue-img_0205.jpg   Check Engine Light remains due to DPF issue-img_0207.jpg   Check Engine Light remains due to DPF issue-img_0208.jpg  

Last edited by catsmeow27; 03-10-2016 at 05:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-10-2016, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 1987 560SL
Green Diesel Engineering has a program to delete the EGR which is the cause of your DPF problem. And apparently they offer a DPF delete option also as a custom tune, but you will have to ask specifically for it. It will cost about $550USD but it will solve all your problems.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:16 AM

Thx I researched this problem for quite awhile but it's prob been 6 months since cause same ole same ole. I prob just missed it. I would have hated to spend that but glad there's an option now. I'm gonna see if anyone has any idea about this 'circuit board'. Worse case I have to live w check engine light on but I'm wanting to trade down the road so prob be an issue. Thx again
QUOTE=marc hanna;6733775]Green Diesel Engineering has a program to delete the EGR which is the cause of your DPF problem. And apparently they offer a DPF delete option also as a custom tune, but you will have to ask specifically for it. It will cost about $550USD but it will solve all your problems.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-10-2016, 09:42 AM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
W211 e320 CDI
Perfectly happy Green Diesel Engineering tune owner here FYI. Mine is older OM648 inline 6 motor...but much better after downloading and installing tune 60,000 miles ago. Power is better, fuel economy better....no complaints.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:51 PM

Probably a dumb question as I really know nothing about car engines,etc. How would it work using the green diesel engineering since I've had the inside of the DPF removed (the actually DPF "metal or aluminum box" is still there connected to the emission system; the inside is just hollow. Is this something I go through the dealership and get done? I'm sure I can figure it out by googling, etc. so its okay if you don't happen to respond. Nice to hear that it worked well for you, thanks
Old 03-12-2016, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 1987 560SL
That's exactly why you why get the DPF delete option - when you're planning on physically removing the DPF.

To get it, you go to their website and order it. They will send you the programming tool and email you the file to upload to your vehicle. They're good to deal with - very helpful>

http://www.greendieselengineering.com/Welcome.action
Old 03-13-2016, 12:41 PM

Thanks very much for the info.