Sponsored by:

OM 642 - Remove EGR Positioner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
2012 GL 350
OM 642 - Remove EGR Positioner

I'm doing a timing chain replacement on my 2012 GL 350. The chain was stretched so badly at 54k miles that I'm concerned about timing it correctly with the new chain, so I'm also removing the right side valve cover in addition to the right in order to ensure that the timing marks on both sets of cams are aligned when I'm done.

But first I have to get the left cover off. And in the way is the "Exhaust Gas Recirculation Positioner", pictured below:

Has anybody removed this thing before? The WIS says that you remove two mounting bolts and the coolant hose (it's water cooled) then "pull up from above." Well, there isn't really all that much room above and pulling on it feels like it's welded on. Seriously, not even budging. It was late last night, and I was tired, so instead of pushing my luck I snapped a photo. Can anybody verify how this thing comes out?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:38 AM

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
2012 GL 350
Geez, I hate RTMOP, but I messed with this again last night. It's basically just pressed in there very tightly. But it's under the cowl, and wedged between the firewall and the engine lift hook. You can't remove the hook without taking out the turbo first. Thanks MB, that's helpful.

I can get a pair of large slip-joint pliers on it, and I can wiggle it back and forth, but I can't get it to lift upwards.

I finally gave up, got it rotated enough that I could remove the valve cover bolt in the corner, and got the valve cover off. But if this thing ever goes TU, I'm screwed for getting it off.

Here you can see the pliers on the EGR, but you can also see how limited your work space is as a result of the lifting hook.

All's well that ends well, I guess.