E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

My E350 D6 Cabriolet

Old 05-16-2011, 03:40 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Thank you very much RJC. Duly noted.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:20 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts
You're most welcome.

Are you getting ready to pull the trigger? I hear there are limited spots for early June build and MB has already begun pushing things back to try and clear the extra inventory of 11's floating around. It also appears the 12 copupes with the appreance package will get the cabs amg wheels for 12, which are much nicer imo...
Old 05-18-2011, 11:32 AM

2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by RJC
You're most welcome.

Are you getting ready to pull the trigger? I hear there are limited spots for early June build and MB has already begun pushing things back to try and clear the extra inventory of 11's floating around. It also appears the 12 copupes with the appreance package will get the cabs amg wheels for 12, which are much nicer imo...
I am anxious. Next week I take the CLK in for its state inspection. Fingers crossed I get through it without major expense. My dealer's service department has been outstanding for my entire ownership and they know I'm ready to buy a new one, so they will cooperate as best they can. They actually did this for me last year when I thought I was going to get a 2010 E coupe. Then I heard about the motor changes for 2012 and put it off.

I will definitely speak with my salesman while I am there. I feel well-armed with the knowledge I have gained and continue to gather from the well-informed folks (like you ) on this excellent forum.

As for the wheels/appearance package: unless they have made major improvements in the suspension (any rumors??), I will not order that package. I spent about 2 hours last year driving one with it and found the ride to be surprisingly "undesirable," to say the least. The car didn't seem to track well either on some road surfaces. Drove one without that package and with the 17" rims/tires and thought it felt more in keeping with what my well-broken-in kidneys can tolerate.

Believe me, if this car had a more compliant ride or I was perhaps a bit younger and ultimate appearance was my top priority, I would never put anything smaller than 18" rims on the car.

I did think the standard issue 17" rims were a nice design and hope they don't change that for '12. They sure won't impress anyone on this forum though! Me neither.

Al
Old 05-18-2011, 05:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
B8.5 Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Coupe
To be fair I'm on 19s at the minute with Vredestein rubber and it rides smoother than the standard 18s with Continental rubber!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:29 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dr Nab,
Agreed Contis are so so tires.

Al,
if you go with the performance rubber option that goes along with the appearance pkg Michelins or another better brand might be available than what you drove, do you happen to remember what tires were on the car?

My Carrera S's 19" Bridgestones rode very smooth but I love Michelin Pilots. I'm not so young anymore either, so I understand about comfort
Old 05-19-2011, 11:37 AM

2012 E350 Coupe
Thank you both, gentlemen.

The tires I took the first test drive on were the stock 18" P Zero Neros. I kind of felt the wandering tracking issue observed on some road surfaces may have been due to the "funky" tread design, along perhaps with the overly light steering this car exhibited. I did not consider that those particular tires may also have a harsher ride, attributing that to the low profile nature of 18" tires in general.

The 17" tires on my second 1 1/2 hour test drive were stock Conti's, I think.

BTW, when I say overly light steering, I am of course comparing it to the overly heavy steering on my venerable CLK (reciprocating ball). I've gotten used to it over the years, I guess. Most other vehicles I have the opportunity to drive have lighter steering.

I will look into substitute 18" tires before purchasing, but I'd hate to buy blind, if I can't get the opportunity to test drive them first.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:49 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Keep one thing in mind as well; I discovered that tire pressures at the dealership are generally over inflated probably to help resist flat spotting, the over inflation can make the steering feel lighter. I've also noticed whenever I bring any of our cars in to service the tires pressures are always changed to the max #'s.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:26 AM

2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by RJC
Keep one thing in mind as well; I discovered that tire pressures at the dealership are generally over inflated probably to help resist flat spotting, the over inflation can make the steering feel lighter. I've also noticed whenever I bring any of our cars in to service the tires pressures are always changed to the max #'s.
Now that's interesting RJC.

When I first drove the 18" version off the lot I was literally shocked at the "bumpiness" of the ride, which did smooth out after a few minutes. It had been years since I had experienced that - on cold mornings out of my garage with old Goodyears.

It was after the apparent flat-spotting had subsided that I began to notice the seeming lack of a compliant ride and the occasional wandering on some road surfaces.

And yes, my dealer also has a penchant for maxing out the psi when servicing the car. I always let out two pounds of air afterwards, which makes a noticeable difference in ride comfort and does not seem to have affected longevity or handling significantly.

I just took a look at what Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires cost in the 235/45 size at Tire Rack. And I thought the P Zero Nero's were expensive!

BTW, my apologies to Dr-Nab. I seem to have "accidentally" hijacked this thread with other matters.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:43 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

They seem to max out the air pressure so we burn through tires sooner. I now leave a note to set air pressures to my #'s not theirs. You can't go wrong with Michelins they are the best IMHO. Some tires have extra technology built into them to reduce flat spotting and this becomes much more important as the profile shrinks. I'm stll trying to find out what tires MB uses for the high performance tire option...
Old 05-22-2011, 10:45 AM

2012 E350 Coupe
Totally agree re Michelins. They have always been the best tires for any car for which I've needed to buy new rubber.

With the stock A/S tires, in heavy snow or ice my CLK instantly becomes the world's most expensive driveway ornament. Nearly undrivable...and four times I've seen the results of other CLK drivers who attempted to use the car in such weather, all of them torquey 430's, one into the side of a building 30 feet from the roadway.

Michelin Arctic Alpins, combined with the CLK's winter transmission setting, ESP, etc., completely transformed the car into one of the best I've ever had in snowy or icy weather. At least as good as any front wheel drive car I've driven. Kind of fun, actually.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:49 AM

haha that's alright Al, doesn't bother me these are forums to discuss our cars!

Couple more shots, one of mine and one of an old 280SL at my local dealership, totally immaculate condition - would love one of them!

Nab
Attached Thumbnails My E350 D6 Cabriolet-car-park-shot.jpg   My E350 D6 Cabriolet-280sl.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
RealDonn (10-04-2022)
Old 05-25-2011, 06:45 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Dr-Nab
haha that's alright Al, doesn't bother me these are forums to discuss our cars!

Couple more shots, one of mine and one of an old 280SL at my local dealership, totally immaculate condition - would love one of them!

Nab
Thanks Dr-Nab.

Coincidentally, I was at my dealer today and saw a 280SL being driven off the back lot by its owner, one of the service technicians. Sounded as smooth and "well-honed" as a brand new E350 sedan being driven in on the other side of the lot. Now, that's car building craftsmanship!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63
LOVE THE GRILL Dr Nab

Im changing my c63 for a 350cdi cab in 2 weeks time and want to get the same grill. May i ask how long it took to be delivered after payment and is it simple to fit ?

thanks
Old 06-13-2011, 04:12 PM

Thanks, the grill was literally in my office 2 days after ordering it so highly recommend 55-tech if you want a grill; it's very easy to fit too.

Just pull the original grill out starting at the sides, if you look at the pic here you'll notice the clips that the grill is held in by, the only tricky bit is unclipping the center badge from the panel where the AC warning is as it has a habit of finding its way back into the clips so you have to start again!

The top bit is a lot easier, you'll be able to see the bolts that hold it in, just undo those and pull it off - but be gentle, the clips that hold the upper piece in are a lot more fragile than the bottom ones.

Boxed contents from 55-tech: the two-piece grill, top and bottom and a brand new genuine MB star which clips on easily enough, took me about 15 minutes in all to do it after scoping where the clips were etc.

Hope that helps you out!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:34 PM

c63
Brilliant ,thanks for the info and pics Dr Nab ....very much appreciated., will be ordering the grill before i get the car so i can put it on soon as i get it home.

I love the way you`ve done the lamin-x on the the front lights too, gives it a rather mean look and definately compliments the car. Do you have any pics of when you did that also ?
Mines going to be diamond white , black leather with 19" AMG 7 Twin Spoke alloys.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:55 PM

No problem, I don't have any pics of when I did the lamin-x just before and after shots, was easy enough though.. toyed with doing the DRLs but then decided against it -

Not so difficult to do and makes a massive difference to the front end definitely more aggressive I think, got the inspiration from seeing a white Maserati Granturismo MC, lots of nice black & carbon details to it - I *might* do the main lights too, I'm just a little unsure because when I put the film over the projector and switched them on there was a noticable difference in the light intensity so I'm thinking of going for the lighter smoked lamin-x and doing the lot.. decisions, decisions!!

Sounds like yours is going to be a stunning car, are the twin spokes the black ones or the silver ones? Because I know AMG offer the 19" ones as black with silver faces but I've never seen them on a car yet.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:19 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by HK33
......Mines going to be diamond white , black leather with 19" AMG 7 Twin Spoke alloys.
Gorgeous! My choice too, had I ordered a 2010 or 2011, but with the 18" rims. Please post pix when the longest two weeks of your life are up.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:26 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Hi Nab:

Got a call from my salesman today. According to him, there is no problem getting a 2012 model within approximately a month from the ordering date. In other words, July-August deliveries are do-able.

I mentioned all the production delay speculation on this forum and elsewhere to him and he said the 2012 E350 Coupe is being built. I have no reason to distrust him - yet.

Looking for my sledge hammer now, to break open the piggy bank.

Have I told you this week how beautiful your car is?

Al
Old 06-13-2011, 08:19 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BenzMan369
Hi Nab:

Got a call from my salesman today. According to him, there is no problem getting a 2012 model within approximately a month from the ordering date. In other words, July-August deliveries are do-able.

I mentioned all the production delay speculation on this forum and elsewhere to him and he said the 2012 E350 Coupe is being built. I have no reason to distrust him - yet.

Looking for my sledge hammer now, to break open the piggy bank.

Have I told you this week how beautiful your car is?

Al

Al,

I wouldn't hold your breath for a July delivery, really hope I'm wrong but I don't think so.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:55 AM

2012 E350 Coupe
Heavy sigh. Thanks RJC.

Yes, if I move on ordering right now, I too feel less than confident it will only be a month to delivery. If I don’t do it though, it’ll just be that much longer. As much as I’d like a quick delivery, my “old” CLK is running like new or better.

How do you feel about the car getting here in September or there abouts if ordered now?

Here’s what the salesman and the new car sales manager both are saying: the dealership has one “ordering slot” for a 2012 E coupe/cab available in June and 2 more in July. Delivery approx. one month after filling the order slots. This dealership does not move a great many coupes/cabs.

Further, they state they already have a black 2012 E350 coupe “on the boat.” They say they don’t know for sure if MB will release it for sale upon arrival or hold it at the port, due to the need to move 2011 inventory. For the same reason, they don’t have pricing yet for the 2012’s, but we can negotiate a percentage discount, trade value, etc.

Believe me, I am always skeptical dealing with car sales people, no matter how wonderful the overall dealership experience has been (and these guys in service have been the best!). As I mentioned elsewhere, when I ordered my CLK they were hard to get and I was told 90 days delivery. I had the car seven months later.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:18 PM

Thanks Al! I think that's the first time this week!

Took some more shots earlier but mainly because it was in at MB getting some bits fixed and they've damaged one of my alloys and ripped the sidewall of the tire... not happy! Have spoken to them and sent pictures of the damage so just waiting for them to get back to me with what they propose to do - with the lip being such a finish it's always difficult to replicate the brightness of the polished lip when it has been repaired... might see if I can get them to replace the entire wheel, plus the tire too as that needs to be replaced for sure!

I haven't yet seen a 2012 model but according to all the details available in the UK they're scheduled for release/deliveries this month so it may not be so far fetched that you would be getting a 2012 model next month should you go for it.... but it does seem a little odd that they still have the car in a build slot with what I'd imagine is changeable specification? There was a certain amount of time I had before I couldn't change the spec on mine and I'm sure it was around a month before the build date?
Old 06-14-2011, 12:19 PM

c63
Full spec :
Diamond white
Sport
19" TWIN 7 SPOKE amg in silver
reverse cam
harman kardon
comand
dab radio
Airscarf
Leather Black

Your right this week is going incredibly slow and next week will be even slower..lol

will post pix next weekend fingers crossed
Old 06-14-2011, 12:36 PM

W203 C200 Komprssor
Originally Posted by HK33
Full spec :
Diamond white
Sport
19" TWIN 7 SPOKE amg in silver
reverse cam
harman kardon
comand
dab radio
Airscarf
Leather Black

Your right this week is going incredibly slow and next week will be even slower..lol

will post pix next weekend fingers crossed
19 AMG wheels will be looking good with lower springs
Old 06-14-2011, 04:50 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Dr-Nab
......damaged one of my alloys and ripped the sidewall of the tire... not happy!

I haven't yet seen a 2012 model but according to all the details available in the UK they're scheduled for release/deliveries this month so it may not be so far fetched that you would be getting a 2012 model next month should you go for it.... but it does seem a little odd that they still have the car in a build slot with what I'd imagine is changeable specification? There was a certain amount of time I had before I couldn't change the spec on mine and I'm sure it was around a month before the build date?
I'm awfully sorry to hear of the damage Nab. I wonder how it happened? I guess we're all human and a service tech. can have a bad day like anyone else. Please let us know how it turns out. I'm sure they'll make it right, to your satisfaction.

I'm not sure how the changeable specification thing works. I've been researching this so long I know exactly what I want now and that will not change, so didn't inquire about it.

Or am I misunderstanding you and you are saying that those "ordering slots" are actually cars that the dealer will be receiving automatically, whether or not someone actually orders the car in that slot? I didn't take it to mean that; I thought the car in that slot would only be ordered if someone wanted it and it would then be custom configured. I could definitely be wrong about that though.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:15 PM

Thanks Al, I couldn't believe it when I saw it on Monday morning - I took it for granted when I picked it up on Friday there would be no damage, took it home then garaged it over the weekend only to find the damage on Monday, to be fair they're being reasonable about it so far as they want to see pictures of it to see how they can resolve it - they could have just turned around and said sorry you should have inspected your car when you picked it up.

No you're understanding it the same way as I am!! A lot of dealers do just order cars with pre specified options, so for me it seems odd that you could have a car delivered in roughly a month where you can still change the specification plus it be built and then shipped over?? Fair enough my car did turn up around about 3 weeks earlier than the delivery date but then it had to sit there for three weeks as the weather didn't allow me to safely take delivery of it, so I guess they could make it happen for you!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My E350 D6 Cabriolet