E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Service Question

Old 12-11-2013, 04:13 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
Service Question

I have a 2013 E350 cab that I purchased new on May 1, 2013. I have approx 3200 miles on it. I saw a message on the dash telling me that I am due for service in 15 days. So soon?
Old 12-11-2013, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E550 Coupe
My first service A was one year after purchase
Old 12-11-2013, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by GerryMac
My first service A was one year after purchase
I tend not to take out my "nice" cars in inclimate weather. They are usually kept covered in the garage during the winter with a trickle charger attached. As we just had snow here in NJ, I won't be taking it out. I guess it will have to wait until the snow is gone and it isn't wet outside. That could be until the spring.
I was just surprised at the message being so soon.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:37 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by dudley07726
I have a 2013 E350 cab that I purchased new on May 1, 2013. I have approx 3200 miles on it. I saw a message on the dash telling me that I am due for service in 15 days. So soon?
Does the message specify "A" service?

You shouldn't be getting that message until shortly before 1 year or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Unless the car experienced some unusual or abnormal driving conditions.

I would let the service dept. know that you got the message and see what they say. They can also get rid of the message for you, unless you do it yourself. How to "reset service reminder" is somewhere on these forums.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by BenzMan369
Does the message specify "A" service?

You shouldn't be getting that message until shortly before 1 year or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Unless the car experienced some unusual or abnormal driving conditions.

I would let the service dept. know that you got the message and see what they say. They can also get rid of the message for you, unless you do it yourself. How to "reset service reminder" is somewhere on these forums.

Yes, I looked this morning and it said Service "A" due in 15 days. I have not used the car in a few days. It seems that the calendar does not move unless you use the car.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:09 AM

2012 E350 Coupe
Yes, I looked this morning and it said Service "A" due in 15 days. I have not used the car in a few days. It seems that the calendar does not move unless you use the car.
That should not be happening of course. Infrequent vehicle use should not affect it. FYI, like you I only drive mine in good weather, which results in occasional long layups. Never had a problem with the service reminders nagging me on time.

Dealer should look at it. Also, in case you are not doing it, you can at least temporarily get rid of the message by pressing "OK" on the steering wheel. If you want to try getting rid of it perhaps more permanently, look through this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ice-reset.html

But if you reset it yourself you may not get the reminder when it's appropriate.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:55 PM

That should not be happening of course. Infrequent vehicle use should not affect it. FYI, like you I only drive mine in good weather, which results in occasional long layups. Never had a problem with the service reminders nagging me on time.

Dealer should look at it. Also, in case you are not doing it, you can at least temporarily get rid of the message by pressing "OK" on the steering wheel. If you want to try getting rid of it perhaps more permanently, look through this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ice-reset.html

But if you reset it yourself you may not get the reminder when it's appropriate.

I will bring it in when the weather gets better (dry).
Old 12-15-2013, 05:24 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
I will bring it in when the weather gets better (dry).
OK. Please let us know what they find. I've not seen this type of problem reported in these forums before. (Doesn't mean it hasn't been though).

Good luck.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550 Coupe
It's recommended you change the oil before storage, oils have anti corrosion agents in them that wear down with use and time. This is one reason for the mileage or 1 year interval whichever comes first. It would be wiser to change the oil now rather than wait until the spring.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Norm01
It's recommended you change the oil before storage, oils have anti corrosion agents in them that wear down with use and time. This is one reason for the mileage or 1 year interval whichever comes first. It would be wiser to change the oil now rather than wait until the spring.
I have an appointment this coming Friday (should it stay dry). Do you really think the anti corrosion agents would have broken down that much in 6 months on 3200 miles of driving? I don't. I think the oil will be fine should I wait until 1 year anniversary. I used to change the oil in my Lexus Sc 430 once a year due to the low mileage that I put on it.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:10 PM

2011 E550 Coupe
I have an appointment this coming Friday (should it stay dry). Do you really think the anti corrosion agents would have broken down that much in 6 months on 3200 miles of driving? I don't. I think the oil will be fine should I wait until 1 year anniversary. I used to change the oil in my Lexus Sc 430 once a year due to the low mileage that I put on it.
My guess is your car sat on the lot for six months and the "A" service is right at one year. Personally I would do the service.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:00 PM

My guess is your car sat on the lot for six months and the "A" service is right at one year. Personally I would do the service.
You're right. Though, I noticed that it said service in 15 days and I did not use the car for a few days and turned it on and it still said 15 days. I guess the internal clock for this does not run until the car is on. I am not sure.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:49 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
You're right. Though, I noticed that it said service in 15 days and I did not use the car for a few days and turned it on and it still said 15 days. I guess the internal clock for this does not run until the car is on. I am not sure.
The service reminders should run concurrent with the purchaser's warranty service obligations, irrespective of when the car was built, sitting in inventory, etc.

The car was purchased brand new in May, the warranty commenced at time of purchase, and the clock should start running at or near that point. If it doesn't, the dealer should correct that and also insure that the reminder function "clock" is performing to spec going forward.

This will all be settled when you visit the dealer. There is no need to service the car now, again assuming no severe or unusual driving conditions were encountered since purchase.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:50 AM

2011 E550 Coupe
The service reminders should run concurrent with the purchaser's warranty service obligations, irrespective of when the car was built, sitting in inventory, etc.

The car was purchased brand new in May, the warranty commenced at time of purchase, and the clock should start running at or near that point. If it doesn't, the dealer should correct that and also insure that the reminder function "clock" is performing to spec going forward.

This will all be settled when you visit the dealer. There is no need to service the car now, again assuming no severe or unusual driving conditions were encountered since purchase.

Not wanting to argue this but this has nothing to do with warranty. His mileage is right and warranty will start on the day the car was delivered. This is a one year service check from when the factory filled the oil because the service is mileage or one year whichever comes first.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:44 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Not wanting to argue this but this has nothing to do with warranty. His mileage is right and warranty will start on the day the car was delivered. This is a one year service check from when the factory filled the oil because the service is mileage or one year whichever comes first.
Thanks Norm. No argument. You raise a legitimate point.

Checked with my Mercedes service manager buddy. Here’s his take on it:

The clock does indeed start running when the vehicle leaves the factory. For cars ordered, built and quickly delivered to a customer, this normally results in the reminders automatically synching closely with the purchase and warranty initiation. (That’s the only way I’ve ever bought a Benz, so that has been my only experience with the reminders). He added that a good dealership nevertheless inspects the car prior to delivery and may reset the clock. Therefore, since I’m never wrong about anything, I’m right too.

For new cars that have been sitting on a lot, etc., for a period of time, “as a matter of service to the customer,” the dealership (like mine) should inspect the car and service it as necessary immediately prior to delivery to the customer, including re-setting the service clock.

He said a brand new vehicle should not be delivered to a customer with significant time on the service schedule having been used up. “No customer should take delivery of a brand new vehicle that needs routine maintenance service sooner than the one year or 10,000 mile expressed warranty requirement that began with the customer's acquisition.” In essence he's saying the customer is not responsible for the service time elapsed prior to the customer's taking possession of the car.

He said he doesn’t remember this issue coming up as long as he has been with the dealership. They always make sure brand new cars are delivered with the full service time available on them. He added they do the same with Certified pre-owned Mercedes vehicles as well.

Hope this is of some value to the OP. His clock doesn’t seem to be working properly anyway. Days remaining to Service is not changing with the passage of time. It should change, regardless of vehicle use or non-use. The only exception is if the car’s main battery dies or is disconnected for some reason. That would require a reset.

I just have an unsubstantiated hunch that his 15 day service reminder shouldn't be showing at all and that his service reminder....well....needs servicing. Hope he lets us know the outcome. I'm curious..

Old 12-20-2013, 04:04 PM

Thanks Norm. No argument. You raise a legitimate point.

Checked with my Mercedes service manager buddy. Here’s his take on it:

The clock does indeed start running when the vehicle leaves the factory. For cars ordered, built and quickly delivered to a customer, this normally results in the reminders automatically synching closely with the purchase and warranty initiation. (That’s the only way I’ve ever bought a Benz, so that has been my only experience with the reminders). He added that a good dealership nevertheless inspects the car prior to delivery and may reset the clock. Therefore, since I’m never wrong about anything, I’m right too.

For new cars that have been sitting on a lot, etc., for a period of time, “as a matter of service to the customer,” the dealership (like mine) should inspect the car and service it as necessary immediately prior to delivery to the customer, including re-setting the service clock.

He said a brand new vehicle should not be delivered to a customer with significant time on the service schedule having been used up. “No customer should take delivery of a brand new vehicle that needs routine maintenance service sooner than the one year or 10,000 mile expressed warranty requirement that began with the customer's acquisition.” In essence he's saying the customer is not responsible for the service time elapsed prior to the customer's taking possession of the car.

He said he doesn’t remember this issue coming up as long as he has been with the dealership. They always make sure brand new cars are delivered with the full service time available on them. He added they do the same with Certified pre-owned Mercedes vehicles as well.

Hope this is of some value to the OP. His clock doesn’t seem to be working properly anyway. Days remaining to Service is not changing with the passage of time. It should change, regardless of vehicle use or non-use. The only exception is if the car’s main battery dies or is disconnected for some reason. That would require a reset.

I just have an unsubstantiated hunch that his 15 day service reminder shouldn't be showing at all and that his service reminder....well....needs servicing. Hope he lets us know the outcome. I'm curious..

Well, here is the story and its a bit of a long one.

Came back this morning from the local MB dealership (which is not the selling dealer ship- that one is 50 miles away. They were $4k cheaper for your info).
The service manager at the Servicing Dealership said that I did not need an oil change but he could not reset the timer unless I got "A" service at $161 which is basically an oil change with fluid topping. I would have to go back to the selling dealership to reset it. I said that's absurd. It only has 3K miles on it. I call the Service Mgr at the selling dealership who agrees that I do not need an oil change. I then call MB USA and speak to a rep whereby I tell him the story and he tells me "you can reset it yourself."
I said "Oh yeah, then why can't the Servicing dealer do it?" He replies because if something goes wrong later, they do not want to be held responsible. I said sure, you want me to do it so MB can tell me to go F myself if something goes wrong later. I said this is ridiculous and ask to speak to a manager.
She comes on and I tell her the story, etc. She becomes quite abrupt in her tone. She says basically the car is saying that it's time for service. Build date was Oct 2012. I told her that I knew that and proceed to tell her that 2 Service Mgrs from 2 different dealerships say that it's too soon, it only has 3k miles and that it doesn't need it. She says it was up to me if I want to listen to them but to her,the car is saying it needs service. (I guess I should call her in the future if there is something wrong with the car because she knows better than the Service Mgrs.) I tell her that I don't like her tone and I see that I am not getting anywhere with her and tell her goodbye.
I go back to the Service Mgr and agree to the $161 "A" service just to end this.
He finds me later looking at some new cars and he tells me that he will submit the bill after I pay it to MB USA and try to get me reimbursed.
After the car is done, he tells me that the "timer was not reset in over 360+ days and should have been done at the Pre Del Inspection.
I get home and call the Service Mgr from the selling dealership and tell him what transpired after I last spoke with him. He asks me to email a copy of the bill. He suggests that they did reset the timer because they always do. I tell him that it had not been reset for 360+ days and that I purchased it on May 1, 2013; close to half those number of days.
I then call MB USA again to try to speak to the Case Mgr's boss to complain about her tone. Who do I get on the phone? The original guy who told me to reset it myself. I tell him that the Case Mgr whom he transferred me to earlier was a bit too testy for me. He then tells me that he sees on the notes that Case Mgr had called the Service Mgr at the servicing dealer to tell him to submit my bill to them so they could reimburse me as a goodwill gesture. I said that I was appreciative but the Service Mgr at the servicing dealer had led me to believe that he would try to get me reimbursed. He didn't tell me it was a done deal. Obviously the case mgr had called him when I was there, he just didn't tell me. I guess he wanted me to believe that he was doing me a favor.
I send the email and copy of the bill to the service mgr of the selling dealership and tell him that I expect HIM to expedite this and speak to the Service Mgr of the servicing dealership as well the case Mgr at MB USA.
I get a call 30 minutes later from the Sve Mgr at the servicing dealership who asks me if I am in the area because rather than wait for the reimbursement, I should come in and they will credit my AMEX card which I used to pay. I said I live 10 minutes away and will be there later.
Who then calls? The testy case Mgr from MB USA whom apologizes to me (wow, her tone is much different now). She says that she spoke to the Service Mgr at the selling dealership who apologizes for not resetting the reminder even though they thought they did. She says that she didn't realize that the timer was not reset when she initially spoke to me and keeps on apologizing. I thanked her but also told her that it was no fault of mine but was the fault of MB. They were responsible. I then went to the Servicing dealer and was credited back my $161 plus tax.
Nice morning I had. I have had Lexus's since 1992 and those guys bent over backwards to keep the customer happy. Not like this.
But, in the end, MB did what was right and I harbor no ill will against them.

Question? $161 for basically an oil change? And I thought $79 for an oil change for my SC 430 was expensive. Wow!

As for the timer not counting down. Today, when I turned on the car, it was now down to 5 days. It is working. I do not know why it did not change the last time.

All is well. Now, if it would only remain dry outside so I can take the car out some more.

Last edited by dudley07726; 12-20-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG & 280 SL
dudley07726,

I too now drive a E350 4Matic 2013, and hope I don't have to go thru that kind of exercise. I purchased this car new in October this year (it was a good deal).

I know one thing for sure up here in Canada we pay much more for the "A" service as you mentioned it is basically a oil change. I know this since I owned a 2011 C350 4Matic before the car I have now.

When my first year was over the car told me like clock work to go and get it serviced. I ask the selling dealer SA what it would cost me and he said around $350- that is about what it ended up to be plus tax. I then continued to drive the car for anather year and as clock work it again told me to get her serviced. When I was at the selling dealership I was told the "B" Service would cost about $650- (the car had just over 10,000 KM [6,200 Miles]) so I ask them what they would do for all that money and they listed a few things. I told them listen "The car is basically new, I don't think I like you to do all this unnecessary stuff" I then asked to do only what is required to maintain the warranty and they then agreed after talking to there manager (since I put my foot down) that they would only repeat the "A" service and all would be well.

After reading your story, I think I will be somewhere in the US when my E350 tells me to get service, lets check out how Mercedes treats this German/Canadian when he is not in the country where he purchases this car.

BTW I have a 1969 Pagoda 280 SL as well that has won several prices, I will make sure I take along (on my US trip) the booklet from the 280 SL that tells me all the Dealerships in North America. I expect to pay a lower price this time for that oil change.

I read someplace that any qualifyed dealership or specialty service shop can perform the "A" … "B" service etc. so that warranty will be maintained. I have to research that some more on the Internet.

I added some photos here (first 2 are at the dealer before purchase) the third one is when the E350 meet my 280 SL in my garage and the 4th and 5th is my Pagoda … I'll figure out some other day how to set up a garage here LOL
Attached Thumbnails Service Question-optimized-350-1.jpg   Service Question-optimized-350-2.jpg   Service Question-optimized-350-3.jpg   Service Question-280-1.jpg   Service Question-optimized-280-2.jpg  

Last edited by Rolf-Dieter; 12-20-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:04 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Well, here is the story and its a bit of a long one.

Came back this morning from the local MB dealership (which is not the selling dealer ship- that one is 50 miles away. They were $4k cheaper for your info).
The service manager at the Servicing Dealership said that I did not need an oil change but he could not reset the timer unless I got "A" service at $161 which is basically an oil change with fluid topping. I would have to go back to the selling dealership to reset it. I said that's absurd. It only has 3K miles on it. I call the Service Mgr at the selling dealership who agrees that I do not need an oil change. I then call MB USA and speak to a rep whereby I tell him the story and he tells me "you can reset it yourself."
I said "Oh yeah, then why can't the Servicing dealer do it?" He replies because if something goes wrong later, they do not want to be held responsible. I said sure, you want me to do it so MB can tell me to go F myself if something goes wrong later. I said this is ridiculous and ask to speak to a manager.
She comes on and I tell her the story, etc. She becomes quite abrupt in her tone. She says basically the car is saying that it's time for service. Build date was Oct 2012. I told her that I knew that and proceed to tell her that 2 Service Mgrs from 2 different dealerships say that it's too soon, it only has 3k miles and that it doesn't need it. She says it was up to me if I want to listen to them but to her,the car is saying it needs service. (I guess I should call her in the future if there is something wrong with the car because she knows better than the Service Mgrs.) I tell her that I don't like her tone and I see that I am not getting anywhere with her and tell her goodbye.
I go back to the Service Mgr and agree to the $161 "A" service just to end this.
He finds me later looking at some new cars and he tells me that he will submit the bill after I pay it to MB USA and try to get me reimbursed.
After the car is done, he tells me that the "timer was not reset in over 360+ days and should have been done at the Pre Del Inspection.
I get home and call the Service Mgr from the selling dealership and tell him what transpired after I last spoke with him. He asks me to email a copy of the bill. He suggests that they did reset the timer because they always do. I tell him that it had not been reset for 360+ days and that I purchased it on May 1, 2013; close to half those number of days.
I then call MB USA again to try to speak to the Case Mgr's boss to complain about her tone. Who do I get on the phone? The original guy who told me to reset it myself. I tell him that the Case Mgr whom he transferred me to earlier was a bit too testy for me. He then tells me that he sees on the notes that Case Mgr had called the Service Mgr at the servicing dealer to tell him to submit my bill to them so they could reimburse me as a goodwill gesture. I said that I was appreciative but the Service Mgr at the servicing dealer had led me to believe that he would try to get me reimbursed. He didn't tell me it was a done deal. Obviously the case mgr had called him when I was there, he just didn't tell me. I guess he wanted me to believe that he was doing me a favor.
I send the email and copy of the bill to the service mgr of the selling dealership and tell him that I expect HIM to expedite this and speak to the Service Mgr of the servicing dealership as well the case Mgr at MB USA.
I get a call 30 minutes later from the Sve Mgr at the servicing dealership who asks me if I am in the area because rather than wait for the reimbursement, I should come in and they will credit my AMEX card which I used to pay. I said I live 10 minutes away and will be there later.
Who then calls? The testy case Mgr from MB USA whom apologizes to me (wow, her tone is much different now). She says that she spoke to the Service Mgr at the selling dealership who apologizes for not resetting the reminder even though they thought they did. She says that she didn't realize that the timer was not reset when she initially spoke to me and keeps on apologizing. I thanked her but also told her that it was no fault of mine but was the fault of MB. They were responsible. I then went to the Servicing dealer and was credited back my $161 plus tax.
Nice morning I had. I have had Lexus's since 1992 and those guys bent over backwards to keep the customer happy. Not like this.
But, in the end, MB did what was right and I harbor no ill will against them.

Question? $161 for basically an oil change? And I thought $79 for an oil change for my SC 430 was expensive. Wow!

As for the timer not counting down. Today, when I turned on the car, it was now down to 5 days. It is working. I do not know why it did not change the last time.

All is well. Now, if it would only remain dry outside so I can take the car out some more.
Excellent outcome, although it did take some aggravation and work, didn't it! Much as I had anticipated and confirmed by my Service Manager friend. Getting past this, you should have many miles and smiles driving a great car.

Rolf-Dieter: Welcome to the forum. As I had indicated above, this is the first problem of its type I've seen reported in these forums, although of course I haven't read every single post. I doubt you would have this problem. Just sloppy (or deliberately cheap) prep. work done by the dealer of original purchase.

As for the attitude of the MB customer service woman, I've read similar posts here before. Some of them do seem to take a hard-line approach to the idea of "service" to the customer, but it's not universal. Maybe they develop that attitude over time due to the nature of some Mercedes customers, but that's not an excuse of course.

As for Mercedes Benz authorized dealer service, yes it is very expensive for what you get. That's why quite a few folks on here either do it themselves or take their cars to "Indy" shops, independent shops that specialize in Mercedes and/or foreign cars. They tend to be cheaper. A word of caution: that's OK to do for U.S. cars. I can't speak for Canada.

I've got one of those Indy shops only 10 minutes from me. But, as cheap as I usually am, for as long as I've owned new Mercedes vehicles I've always taken them back to my dealership - a 45 minute trip - for service. For a couple of reasons: both sides of the business have treated me incredibly well from day one several years ago. And equally important, their service department has been there for me in critical moments. Example: one of my cars had a major emissions systems failure roughly six months after expiration of the eight year emissions warranty and just in time for state inspection. Repair cost: $2,500+ to get it through inspection. The Asst. Svc. Mgr. said, "Let us see what we can do for you with MB." Result: No cost to me and enough of a repair to pass inspection and keep the car going until I traded it the following year. So, depending on the dealer, sometimes all that extra maintenance expense can also be purchasing important good will that may save you money in the long run. All depends on how good a dealer you've got.

I purchased one of MB 4 year pre-paid maintenance plans for my latest car. It saved about 15% from the price of the services priced individually. And that doesn't include that you're locked into today's prices, not what they may rise to over the next four years. Still costs more than an Indy though.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:23 PM

Excellent outcome, although it did take some aggravation and work, didn't it! Much as I had anticipated and confirmed by my Service Manager friend. Getting past this, you should have many miles and smiles driving a great car.

Rolf-Dieter: Welcome to the forum. As I had indicated above, this is the first problem of its type I've seen reported in these forums, although of course I haven't read every single post. I doubt you would have this problem. Just sloppy (or deliberately cheap) prep. work done by the dealer of original purchase.

As for the attitude of the MB customer service woman, I've read similar posts here before. Some of them do seem to take a hard-line approach to the idea of "service" to the customer, but it's not universal. Maybe they develop that attitude over time due to the nature of some Mercedes customers, but that's not an excuse of course.

As for Mercedes Benz authorized dealer service, yes it is very expensive for what you get. That's why quite a few folks on here either do it themselves or take their cars to "Indy" shops, independent shops that specialize in Mercedes and/or foreign cars. They tend to be cheaper. A word of caution: that's OK to do for U.S. cars. I can't speak for Canada.

I've got one of those Indy shops only 10 minutes from me. But, as cheap as I usually am, for as long as I've owned new Mercedes vehicles I've always taken them back to my dealership - a 45 minute trip - for service. For a couple of reasons: both sides of the business have treated me incredibly well from day one several years ago. And equally important, their service department has been there for me in critical moments. Example: one of my cars had a major emissions systems failure roughly six months after expiration of the eight year emissions warranty and just in time for state inspection. Repair cost: $2,500+ to get it through inspection. The Asst. Svc. Mgr. said, "Let us see what we can do for you with MB." Result: No cost to me and enough of a repair to pass inspection and keep the car going until I traded it the following year. So, depending on the dealer, sometimes all that extra maintenance expense can also be purchasing important good will that may save you money in the long run. All depends on how good a dealer you've got.

I purchased one of MB 4 year pre-paid maintenance plans for my latest car. It saved about 15% from the price of the services priced individually. And that doesn't include that you're locked into today's prices, not what they may rise to over the next four years. Still costs more than an Indy though.

While I was waiting for my car, there was a customer discussing with a service rep about resetting the service reminder. Apparently, he had either changed the oil himself or had it done at a local place other than the dealership. Those places didn't have the equipment to reset the reminder. I heard the service rep say they they would not do that when someone else other than they did the work. You want it reset? Have the oil change, etc. done here.

As for a prepaid plan for me? I probably average no more than 4k miles on my "nice" cars. I don't think it would be worth it. But then again, I didn't really explore it.

Last edited by dudley07726; 12-21-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:55 AM

2012 E350 Coupe
While I was waiting for my car, there was a customer discussing with a service rep about resetting the service reminder. Apparently, he had either changed the oil himself or had it done at a local place other than the dealership. Those places didn't have the equipment to reset the reminder. I heard the service rep say they they would not do that when someone else other than they did the work. You want it reset? Have the oil change, etc. done here.

As for a prepaid plan for me? I probably average no more than 4k miles on my "nice" cars. I don't think it would be worth it. But then again, I didn't really explore it.
Same here, very low mileage on this car. When I bring it in for inspections and warranty maintenance, the Svc. Mgr. keeps warning me Mercedes will confiscate the car if I don't use it more.

As for the pre-paid plan being worth it, it only provides what you must do anyway to maintain the warranty, regardless of mileage. You can go beyond that, but you don't have to. But I know the feeling - spending all that money on a car you don't use much.

I guess one of the reasons I bought it was being used to owning Benzes that were covered for routine maintenance for 4 years-50K miles, as all my previous cars were - included in the original purchase price. I got used to not paying for service when I brought them in each year. So now I delude myself that the service is free just like it used to be, and try to forget how much I shelled out to buy the service plan.

As I said above, anyone can reset their own service reminder. There's plenty of help on here. For example: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ice-reset.html

Forgot to mention before that if you do your own service or take it to an Indy, be sure to save any and all receipts to document it, should MB raise the issue down the road re a warranty claim.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 937 Likes on 685 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter
dudley07726,

I too now drive a E350 4Matic 2013, and hope I don't have to go thru that kind of exercise. I purchased this car new in October this year (it was a good deal).

I know one thing for sure up here in Canada we pay much more for the "A" service as you mentioned it is basically a oil change. I know this since I owned a 2011 C350 4Matic before the car I have now.

When my first year was over the car told me like clock work to go and get it serviced. I ask the selling dealer SA what it would cost me and he said around $350- that is about what it ended up to be plus tax. I then continued to drive the car for anather year and as clock work it again told me to get her serviced. When I was at the selling dealership I was told the "B" Service would cost about $650- (the car had just over 10,000 KM [6,200 Miles]) so I ask them what they would do for all that money and they listed a few things. I told them listen "The car is basically new, I don't think I like you to do all this unnecessary stuff" I then asked to do only what is required to maintain the warranty and they then agreed after talking to there manager (since I put my foot down) that they would only repeat the "A" service and all would be well.

After reading your story, I think I will be somewhere in the US when my E350 tells me to get service, lets check out how Mercedes treats this German/Canadian when he is not in the country where he purchases this car.

BTW I have a 1969 Pagoda 280 SL as well that has won several prices, I will make sure I take along (on my US trip) the booklet from the 280 SL that tells me all the Dealerships in North America. I expect to pay a lower price this time for that oil change.

I read someplace that any qualifyed dealership or specialty service shop can perform the "A" … "B" service etc. so that warranty will be maintained. I have to research that some more on the Internet.

I added some photos here (first 2 are at the dealer before purchase) the third one is when the E350 meet my 280 SL in my garage and the 4th and 5th is my Pagoda … I'll figure out some other day how to set up a garage here LOL
Gorgeous Pagoda
Old 12-27-2013, 08:03 AM

Post Script:

Arrived home last night to find a gift from the Case Mgr of MB USA. A MB Travel mug and a MB Wine Bottle Cork Stopper. Nice gesture. I guess she felt bad being a bit tough during our first conversation.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG & 280 SL
I have not been here for a spell, anyway just wanted to say I changed my E350 4Matic got a slightly used 2012 C63 AMG I just missed my former M3 too much so it was time for a change once the right car came along. I just love it what a joy to drive.

Last edited by Rolf-Dieter; 05-13-2015 at 10:08 PM. Reason: typo corrected