E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Looking for E550 advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flexible Flyer
Looking for E550 advice

I'm considering buying a 2012 E550 coupe, but I'm a Mercedes noob and would appreciate any advice. I was hoping people here might be able to give me an idea if there are any potential problems to be aware of. For example, the turbos fall apart at 50k miles, or whatever. Also, what kind of costs should I expect for maintenance, both for routine service and otherwise? Is an oil change going to cost me $200? Thanks for any info.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
Our '12 E550 coupe has about 30,000 miles and has been trouble-free.
No $200.00 oil changes, but check with your local Mercedes dealer because prices may vary.

It's a great vehicle with much power and surprisingly good mileage: if you drive leisurely.
We use Michelin PSS: 245/35ZR18 front and 255/35ZR18 (original rears tend to wear, which the Michelin's reduced).

Last edited by Dueclaws; 09-01-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
E550

Originally Posted by mmiller14
I'm considering buying a 2012 E550 coupe, but I'm a Mercedes noob and would appreciate any advice. I was hoping people here might be able to give me an idea if there are any potential problems to be aware of. For example, the turbos fall apart at 50k miles, or whatever. Also, what kind of costs should I expect for maintenance, both for routine service and otherwise? Is an oil change going to cost me $200? Thanks for any info.

No the oil changes are not $200! They can run sub $100 if you choose to DIY or take it to a indi shop.

As far as MPG when I test drove one I was getting close to 27mpg highway. Pretty good for a powerful and heavy car.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:04 AM

Flexible Flyer
Thanks for the replies. It looks like I violated the most important rule of writing, though - apparently I wasn't very clear. What I was hoping to learn was twofold:
1) Is the 2012 model prone to any particular problems?

2) Am I going to be unpleasantly surprised by maintenance costs? Is a trip to the dealer substantially different in price from the same visit to the Honda, Ford, or Chevy dealer?
I appreciate any insight anyone can offer.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
Originally Posted by mmiller14
Thanks for the replies. It looks like I violated the most important rule of writing, though - apparently I wasn't very clear. What I was hoping to learn was twofold:
I appreciate any insight anyone can offer.
1) Is the 2012 model prone to any particular problems?
None of which I'm aware.

2) Am I going to be unpleasantly surprised by maintenance costs? Is a trip to the dealer substantially different in price from the same visit to the Honda, Ford, or Chevy dealer?
I believe Honda would be more expensive than Chevy or Ford, as will be MB .
MB hasn't presented any "unpleasant surprises" to us, but that could be relative depending on your budget.

Last edited by Dueclaws; 09-02-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:53 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
I have a 2013 E350 Cab and the MB dealer charges approx $180 for an (A service) oil change. The Lexus dealer that I used to bring my 2006 SC 430 charged approx $80 for an oil change. And at the time, I thought that was alot!
At least he gave me a loaner. No such luck getting a loaner during an oil change with MB or BMW (my other auto).

Last edited by dudley07726; 09-02-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by dudley07726
I have a 2013 E350 Cab and the MB dealer charges approx $180 for an (A service) oil change. The Lexus dealer that I used to bring my 2006 SC 430 charged approx $80 for an oil change. And at the time, I thought that was alot!
At least he gave me a loaner. No such luck getting a loaner during an oil change with MB or BMW (my other auto).

For a dealer that is just the norm. Find a good indi shop to do the work or DIY and oil changes will be much more inexpensive.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:14 PM

Flexible Flyer
Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate your input.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:31 PM

2012 E550 Coupe
I love my car but I certainly had an unexpected sticker shock when I had service schedule B performed. It was close to $800. That's just retarded and I will never go back to Mercedes unless for warranty issues. And lesson learned... Always ask the price before you drop your car off. For service I really miss lexus. But for something I "should" only have to do once or twice a year I wouldn't buy a car just because of service. But still. Mercedes service is horrible and stupid expensive where I live.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:25 AM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
Originally Posted by venom_55
I love my car but I certainly had an unexpected sticker shock when I had service schedule B performed. It was close to $800. That's just retarded and I will never go back to Mercedes unless for warranty issues. And lesson learned... Always ask the price before you drop your car off. For service I really miss lexus. But for something I "should" only have to do once or twice a year I wouldn't buy a car just because of service. But still. Mercedes service is horrible and stupid expensive where I live.
I will go to an Indie shop once the car is out of warranty. I don't trust MB or BMW for that matter. I can see if something went wrong (even if it had nothing to do with what the indie shop did) , they would blame it on the service performed by the Indie shop and not cover it. The servicing MB dealer (which is diff from my selling dealer) refused to reset my service alert without an oil change even though the car only had 3k miles. It turns out that the selling dealer did not reset it upon delivery. The car was on the lot for a while. This was a brand new car! They wanted me to pay the $180 for an oil change and then he would reset the service reminder. I fought them and MB USA and was refunded the money the same day. Even MB USA didn't want to help until they were told by the servicing dealer that it was the fault of the selling dealer whom apologized. It was a real pain but I prevailed. But it showed me what hard heads they can be. Lexus treated me like gold and I never experienced anything close to this with them.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:13 PM

mercedes benz 2011 e350
Originally Posted by dudley07726
I will go to an Indie shop once the car is out of warranty. I don't trust MB or BMW for that matter. I can see if something went wrong (even if it had nothing to do with what the indie shop did) , they would blame it on the service performed by the Indie shop and not cover it. The servicing MB dealer (which is diff from my selling dealer) refused to reset my service alert without an oil change even though the car only had 3k miles. It turns out that the selling dealer did not reset it upon delivery. The car was on the lot for a while. This was a brand new car! They wanted me to pay the $180 for an oil change and then he would reset the service reminder. I fought them and MB USA and was refunded the money the same day. Even MB USA didn't want to help until they were told by the servicing dealer that it was the fault of the selling dealer whom apologized. It was a real pain but I prevailed. But it showed me what hard heads they can be. Lexus treated me like gold and I never experienced anything close to this with them.

I have never had an issue with warranty repair regarding service that I performed or an INDY. I replace all my filters. Oil change on this car is a snap and only takes me about 20 minutes extracting oil through the dipstick with MightyVac. The filter runs about $12 and the oil is around $50 ($62 total).

Jim