E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Wheels and Lowering Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Coupe
Wheels and Lowering Question

Guys, I know this has been done before but I'm finding the search on the lowering issues a bit lacking. I want to upgrade the wheels on my e350 coupe (sport with amg package). I want to accomplish two things:

1. Appearance

2. A bit better handling.

For appearance, I'd like close to flush fitment without any rubbing issues, or major modification. After reading thru some threads here and elsewhere, I've decided that the 19s are the best compromise. If I'm wrong, I'd like to hear opinions.

In terms of wheels, I'm fond of the concave look and have been looking hard at Vossen and a few others.

In terms of handling (and appearance again), I wanted to go with one of the major brands of sport springs, but while doing research, I'm reading it will likely affect camber, which of course would affect tire wear. I've read this will be make/model specific in terms of affect, and that some vehicles don't allow for an adjustment, hence camber kits are required. I haven't found anything here specific in my search but it sounds like it's an issue with the e class or mercedes in general?

If the above is wrong, I'd appreciate a correction.

So, what's the best way to drop this car a bit, without wearing out tires unnecessarily? What are my options, what issues have you encountered and how did you address it?

I live in NJ, and it's not a daily driver but I'm not sure I want to deal with the myriad of issues that comes with trying to fit (and protect) 20s. My sense is that aesthetically it's not a major difference between 19 and 20. Pictures don't quite capture it, but my sense is 20 could be a bit large for the coupe???

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 58 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2013 Lexus GS350, 2003 Honda VFR, 2017 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE
In my research (and opinion), 19s give the best combination of looks, ride quality, least issues with rubbing, handling performance (to include unsprung weight factors), less susceptible to road hazards (curb scraping, potholes, etc.) for the E-Coupes. I was looking at 20s initially but happily decided on 19s:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-c...550-coupe.html

I am also in the research phase of lowering / sport springs (H&R or Eibach) for my E550 coupe with sport suspension so am interested in what you end up doing. I have similar concerns with lowering to include uneven tire wear and ride quality.

Good luck!
Old 10-20-2015, 03:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ecoupe
For E350, Eibach springs is a better solution. h&r will result a "unbalance drop" which the front seems higher than the rear, if you want to have perfect stance, go for Eibach.

For the wheels size, I always love the 20" as they look a lot bigger. Rubbing issues can be solved with proper tire size and wheel offsets.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 58 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2013 Lexus GS350, 2003 Honda VFR, 2017 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE
The E550 Coupe (sport suspension) front seems to sit higher from factory. Are the Eibach springs for the front a larger drop than the rears? Also, I am looking at very mild drop and it appears the Eibach springs have a larger overall drop than the H&R Springs.

Originally Posted by imaginetigers
For E350, Eibach springs is a better solution. h&r will result a "unbalance drop" which the front seems higher than the rear, if you want to have perfect stance, go for Eibach.

For the wheels size, I always love the 20" as they look a lot bigger. Rubbing issues can be solved with proper tire size and wheel offsets.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:50 PM

MB E350 coupe 2012
Originally Posted by ffr2014
The E550 Coupe (sport suspension) front seems to sit higher from factory. Are the Eibach springs for the front a larger drop than the rears? Also, I am looking at very mild drop and it appears the Eibach springs have a larger overall drop than the H&R Springs.
search the threads here, there are some e550s with Eibach and turns out very good.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 Mercedes E550 convertible
Talking My car on H&R springs E550 Convertible

This is my car on 20's on H&R lowering springs. Can't hardly tell the difference in the ride quality. It's impressive as I thought it was going to be a lot worse. It was the best thing I have done so far and it handles like a dream!!
Old 11-12-2015, 12:15 PM

ecoupe
have you put your sf01 on yet? want to see some pics!