E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Is this Salvage-Title 2013 E350 Convertible A Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL450
Is this Salvage-Title 2013 E350 Convertible A Good Deal?

I have been looking around online for a used late-model E350 convertible and came across this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171493994921?forcerRptr=true&item=171493994921&viewitem=#viTabs_0&autorefresh=true
It's got relatively low mileage (10,900) and the price ($37,900 or best offer) is about $12K-$15K lower than other 2013 E350 convertibles I've seen online.

The catch? Yes there is one and it's not small: this vehicle is a savage-title.

This is what the listing says:

"Previous owner paid -Total Retail Price $ 67,445.00 + tax

This Mercedes is previous Salvage vehicle. The vehicle was acquired from insurance Company which claimed Salvage Title on it due to a collision. Previous owner did not want to get the vehicle repaired and insurance company paid him off. Vehicle was repaired to 100 % factory specifications and now is in great condition. As a result has California Salvage title.

Absolutely no previous Frame Damage, No Suspension Damage, No Engine Damage. See last photos of previous damage.

Paint is mach very well, no visible difference between new and factory paint. Vehicle was driven more than 300 miles, everything works good, vehicle is complete and doesn't need anything. We own title of every car we sell and guaranty fast and pleasant transaction.

Vehicle comes with Owner manual and 2 (two) Full options key - remote

You can see more photos on our web site www.germancars.biz

With the vehicle the buyer will get the California Salvage Certificate, and the bill of Sale/vehicle transfer and reassignment document.
"

What you guys think? Is a salvage-title car worth the potential savings?

I also read online that says the value of a salvage-title car is no more than half of the Kelley Blue Book price. The KBB price for this year and model is around mid-to-high forties. Would it then be worth it if I was able to haggle the price to around the low twenties?

Let me know, thanks!
Old 10-13-2014, 02:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 SL55 AMG, 2012 Land Rover LR4, 2009 C63 AMG
I think its unlikely you'll negotiate that kind of discount. Salvage title purchases only really make sense if you intend never to resell the car and drive it until it falls to pieces.

I've owned a couple of rebuilt salvage cars and they were less cost effective than spending a bit more to get a clean title car.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL450
Thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate what you mean that the rebuilt salvage cars were "less cost effective"? Did you have to pay more for insurance, repairs, maintenance, etc.? I'm assuming the factory warranty is null and void. Were there other issues like having to take them to DMV to get a "Revived Salvage" title?

And lastly, do you think the price is a good deal?

Thanks again for all of your help!
Old 10-13-2014, 02:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 SL55 AMG, 2012 Land Rover LR4, 2009 C63 AMG
I think salvage cars in general are just not worth buying if you ever need to resell. A clean title car will sell quickly at close to KBB price. A salvage title car will exclude the majority of the car buyers immediately and are always very difficult to resell.

I lost more money on both the salvage cars I owned than if I had just bought a clean title car in the first place, plus you never know how well the cars were repaired. Most body shops will cut corners to save some $ if it is not an insurance 'replace everything' job.

Maintenance and repairs should cost no more than a clean car, but I would just avoid the hassle of salvage title and buy a clean title car.

Sure, you will have more money sunk into it while you own it, but you'll get more back when you sell.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E350 coupe Black/Almond, 61k miles in 2020
Sorry for the late addition: OP, I assume you know that you can not insure a Salvage Title car for anything other than Liability? Insurers will not offer Comp and Collision coverage on a Salvage/