E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Winter snow and ice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M D GLK 250
Winter snow and ice

MB Friends,Need opinions please have been driving in rural ski mountain Quebec Canada for years. When I started out mostly RWD cars where available and we used bias plyed knobby winter tires and used to get around ok,then the ''Jimmy'', ''Cherokees'' Bronco style 4wd got popular and many locals where driving these, front wheel drive then became popular and where'' deemed' better in the winter. Now 40 years ago, before budget cuts, roads MAY have been better cleaned in winter than now??
This being said!Have been driving FWD Volvo C 70 cabs for past 8 years and with best snow tires getting along just fine. This last car is due to go back, lease is finishing up.
Volvo dealer owner also owns Mercedes Benz dealership and wants to keep my business.
A) I will not settle on anything other than a Cabriolet
B) Volvo quit C70 with no replacement model in view
C) Mercedes do not offer 4matic in any of their Cabs
D) no FWD offered either
E) Hard top cabs Offered are 2seaters unpractical for me
F) only choice are E Series Cab
Being offered a E 350 cab , dealer says that with Nokian or similar 1st class
Studded Tire e350 will get me everywhere being 50/50 balanced car.
G) getting a extra winter beater car is out of the question, money, space ,storage upkeep insurance etc.
Europeans living around here are telling me that MBs are made in Germany and they have winter there and seem to have no problems with appropriate tires.
In the olden days I had no problems driving RWD in winter, BUT HAVE BEEN DRIVING AWD or FWD vehicles for past 20years, MAY BE RUSTY DRIVING RWD again???
With advance traction control etc on MB, do you think
That I will not regret buying this?
Loads of Audis around but service and garage over one hour away and MB dealer 8 Minutes away ???
Any opinions? Experiences in driving RWD E Series in ice winter snow hills etc.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:36 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
19 E53 AMG Cab, 21 Land Rover Defender 110S, 20 LR Discovery HSE, 23 Ford Bronco 2dr 7spd Manual
I drive my 550 Cab all year round and have Continental DSW Extreme Contact tires and I've been fine. While I trust our Long Island winters are less severe than Canadian winters, we did get 68" of snow last winter.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M D GLK 250
68 inches

wow! That's a lot of snow anywhere!