E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Brake pad warning light did not work on 2012 E Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 02:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Brake pad warning light did not work on 2012 E Coupe

My front brakes developed disturbing metal to metal squeaking sound last week. Took my car into the dealership and the SA told me that my inner pads of my front brakes were totally gone and it was metal to metal.

I am wondering why the brake pad warning sensors never worked, no warning light ever came on. She said the outer pads were still OK but the inner pads were gone. I asked her what caused it and all she said was the brakes are controlled by the computer and could not explain more? The service included rotors and brake pads. The SA said the rear brakes are still OK.

I am wondering if something may have caused this problem and just replacing the rotors and pads are not really solving the cause of the problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

mp
Old 01-19-2015, 03:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes E350 CD Iridium silver convertible 2010
If you have wear on only one side of the pad and the other pad still has plenty of life left on it, then you have a serious brake problem. The pads technically wear equally on both sides of the disc (give or take a couple of thou of an inch).
It suggests a problem with the piston, or the brakes not being assembled properly, if this is the first pad change?
Remember that only the alternate wheels front to back have wear sensors, so two wheels have no sensors.
It is possible to have uneven wear nearside to offside due to driver style and general geography, ie lots and lots of roundabouts etc. Finally depending on wear sensors is not how to remain safe, you need to visually check the pads through the wheels periodically......
Old 01-19-2015, 09:43 PM

Thanks Theraven, this is the first replacement with 38,000 miles. Not sure if both pads had the same amount of wear. I am just concerned about the cause of the premature wear not being fixed.

Mp
Old 01-20-2015, 09:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63; 2011 E350 Coupe
I'm no expert, and agree with Raven, but it looks like the caliper is not clamping on the rotor properly.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes E350 CD Iridium silver convertible 2010
Hello again, there is every chance that they have corrected the problem when they changed the pads. (it may have been the calliper pins causing it sticking on the outer?) One point is that the sensors are on the outer pad not the inner. you may want to watch long term, that the disc's themselves may now have an uneven wear profile.
The rear pads generally wear a lot faster nowadays due to traction control etc. so again watch out for the rears........
Old 01-21-2015, 10:28 AM

Thanks again for the explanation. It is frustrating sometimes dealing with SA that either unable or unwilling to explain what happened and if the cause was addressed.

mp
Old 01-23-2015, 09:19 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2014 SL 550
Originally Posted by mpalsal
Thanks again for the explanation. It is frustrating sometimes dealing with SA that either unable or unwilling to explain what happened and if the cause was addressed.

mp
It sounds like in addition to new brakes, you need a new SA.