E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Car service.. Not at mb?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes
Car service.. Not at mb?

Hi all,

Just wondering what the situation is if you want to get your car servicing done by someone other than MB dealership?

Since there is no longer a service book, how are services recorded and stamped?

Thanks
Old 06-21-2015, 11:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes E350 CD Iridium silver convertible 2010
All Mercedes services records are held electronically hence no service books. If you want to know the the service history you have to go to Mercedes to obtain a copy. Using a good Mercedes trained independent garage can reduce costs as they also often use Mercedes original parts. You may find that they can have a good relationship with major dealers in the area if there are any difficult problems, especially software problems.
How the service history is done by independents, I do not know, but surmise that you keep all of the receipts????
Old 06-22-2015, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes
Thanks for the info. I have a private mechanic who normally does all my car servicing. Obviously normally you have service books which get filled in and stamped. Not sure how keeping just the receipt will sit with potential buyers in the future when I sell the car?

I guess theres no way for independent mechanics to access and log services on the MB system?
Old 06-22-2015, 11:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Receipts

Not sure why work receipts would not be fine with a potential buyer. They were before computers and the Internet.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
Originally Posted by Bane
Thanks for the info. I have a private mechanic who normally does all my car servicing. Obviously normally you have service books which get filled in and stamped. Not sure how keeping just the receipt will sit with potential buyers in the future when I sell the car?

I guess theres no way for independent mechanics to access and log services on the MB system?
Certainly you are free to take the car where you wish for service. As for future buyers' acceptance, that is up to the future buyer. Only having a stack of receipts would not be a positive to me. Sure, it shows an expense for service was paid but receipts can be fabricated. A receipt from an independent does not show me the mechanic was Mercedes trained (whether or not he had MB experience), had access to the Star network, had all service and technical updates, performed the proper work, etc. As you mentioned, if there is no way for the independent mechanic to access and log services on the MB system, there is no way for the MB system network to have have access to the work an independent supposed performed and performed correctly.

I'm not saying an independent can't perform the work just fine, but as a potential buyer of the car, I wouldn't find that appealing. Sure, it was a savings for the original owner, but it becomes a big question mark for the second owner if they care about such things.