E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2014 E350 Coupe 2 month Review

Old 07-20-2015, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'74 911 Targa / '13 FX37 / 05 G35 / '14 E350
2014 E350 Coupe 2 month Review

I purchased a low mile (ok km since I am in Canada) E350 in dark grey (sorry I forget the paint name) about 2 months ago and I thought I would take a stab at a review to help out those who are considering.

For context I am 43 and have had a slew of trucks, suv's and semi-sporty cars but I am not the type to trade in every couple years. I wanted my next car to be a 10 year car. I have an old Porsche Targa for and I traded in a 2005 infiniti G35 for the E. I have about a 20 minute drive to work mostly absent of traffic, the grocery getter is a 2013 FX 37; wife, kid, dog.

The Great
--I love the face and rear of the car - I think the line are what you would expect - sophisticated and sporty. While the dead on side view is probably the least appealing in my view (could look like just about any other coupe on the "surface") the devil is in the details like the bentley type rear fender flair. The pillar-less windows are also a great style feature
--the lights kick-*** - the high beams are like no others but I guess I should be impressed since I came from a 10 year old car
--In general I love the interior except below
--Wheels - again badass - I was considering going dark or grey but the AMG wheels can't be beat
--the "ride" is probably what drew me to this car - IMO it has the perfect balance of road feel and comfort -- cornering gives the sense of a very well behaved rear wheeled car
--I can't wait to see the 4 matic in action on Canadian Winter roads!
--all the safety/ camera's / lane changing stuff I thought was just a gimmick but its REALLY helpful and I think it saved my bacon once already

The Bad
--The aluminum(?) door trim is sort of stained for lack of a better term it has some cloudy white discolouration
--while it looks great,I am dubious the chromed plastic staying in good condition for very long
--they should have reversed the ash tray and cup holders so you can access the temperature controls while you have a coffee - the whole middle console looks great but it could have better
--I don't like that I can't program it to come on without the Eco mode (off while stopped) and in Sport mode - the Eco mode (in Eco, Sport, Manual) is useless - it makes me sad
--I think the biggest warning I would give someone is the throttle path (I think it's referred to) it's OK acceleration if you stomp on it but the pedal is just about dead until about 1/2 way down (I really miss the throttle response on my G)
--even in sport mode it chooses 6th great barely over 40km's per hour!! - of course if you goose it, it drops gears but geeze give me a reasonable gear at 40km - maybe there was too much consideration for fuel savings -- if you drive it manual you can choose as you wish and that is fun from time to time but i wish it would stay in manual - if you drive in the same gear for 10 seconds or so it goes back to sport
--last complaint I swear - I find the seats sweaty

There is lots in between the good and bad as well - I'd certainly recommend the car - maybe I am just a picky ***** : )
Old 07-22-2015, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe Sport Package
I agree with the lack of throttle response, that's the only negative I have of my '12 E350 Coupe. I understand that in the Eco mode, the car starts in 2nd gear, I find that the Sport Mode improves the response but not nearly as well as my RX 350 or C5 Z06, I knew that wasn't going to be a deal breaker as my son's C350 does the same thing and I could live with it. I wish that the default setting to the Eco mode could be defeated, it's become second nature to press the Sport Mode after starting the car. It probably has something to do with meeting the CAFE threshold standard just like my Z06 commands shifting from 1st to 4th gear (manual tranny)upon leisurely accelerating from a stand still, but at least I can defeat that with a device.
Having said that, I love the E350 I think it's one of the most beautiful Coupes on the market, but then I'm biased. lol....
Old 07-22-2015, 07:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by tak06
I agree with the lack of throttle response, that's the only negative I have of my '12 E350 Coupe. I understand that in the Eco mode, the car starts in 2nd gear, I find that the Sport Mode improves the response but not nearly as well as my RX 350 or C5 Z06, I knew that wasn't going to be a deal breaker as my son's C350 does the same thing and I could live with it. I wish that the default setting to the Eco mode could be defeated, it's become second nature to press the Sport Mode after starting the car. It probably has something to do with meeting the CAFE threshold standard just like my Z06 commands shifting from 1st to 4th gear (manual tranny)upon leisurely accelerating from a stand still, but at least I can defeat that with a device.
Having said that, I love the E350 I think it's one of the most beautiful Coupes on the market, but then I'm biased. lol....
Try this gadget from Mid-City: http://www.midcityengineering.com/oe...-mercedes-benz it defeats the default ECO on to off.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63; 2011 E350 Coupe
I installed the SprintBooster. Increases throttle response immensely.

Easy install, but you need to follow a specific procedure.
If you decide to go that route, I can help you.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:33 PM

The SprintBooster sounds interesting but I think I'm going to wait until the factory warranty expires before installing any mods to the ECU. This E350 had the 3 yr Extended Limited Factory warranty when I purchased the car to expire Dec 2018.
To Hillcreative, my E350 doesn't have the stop/start feature but wondering if there is a device for the car to default to the Sport Mode upon start up.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63; 2011 E350 Coupe
The SprintBooster has nothing to do with the ECU. It is an adjunct to the gas pedal.

It will not affect the warranty. I've had my E350 in for service with no issues.
Throttle response is such that I rarely use "sport" mode. However, using "sport" mode makes it quicker off the line.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:14 PM

Thanks, I went to the "Applications" on the Sprint Booster site and it shows the W212 but no W207? is the sedan & coupe different electronically?

https://www.sprintboosterusa.com/c-408-at.aspx
Old 07-23-2015, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by NCBob
The SprintBooster has nothing to do with the ECU. It is an adjunct to the gas pedal.

It will not affect the warranty. I've had my E350 in for service with no issues.
Throttle response is such that I rarely use "sport" mode. However, using "sport" mode makes it quicker off the line.
Just ordered the SprintBooster, did some research and youtubed it, sounds like the exact cure for the hesitant acceleration.
Appears to be a simple plug and play installation by removing the two 10mm bolts securing the gas pedal and the accessing the components underneath the cover or am I incorrect?

Thanks
Old 07-31-2015, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by NCBob

Just installed the SprintBooster, the hestitation is gone, drives like a
mechanical linkage car now. In the "Sport" mode the accelerator pedal is almost too sensitive and I experienced jerking motion upon leaving from a dead stop.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 E550 Cabriolet, 2014 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Just installed the SprintBooster, the hestitation is gone, drives like a
mechanical linkage car now. In the "Sport" mode the accelerator pedal is almost too sensitive and I experienced jerking motion upon leaving from a dead stop.
I get that motion sometime in my E550 Cab. I think what is happening is I'm actually releasing and applying the throttle slightly under acceleration. When I keep my foot in it, it's a steady fast acceleration.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by PJ550CAB
I get that motion sometime in my E550 Cab. I think what is happening is I'm actually releasing and applying the throttle slightly under acceleration. When I keep my foot in it, it's a steady fast acceleration.
I agree, I think I'm doing the same thing too, I sure like this device, best $300 I've spent on this car. I find that I can leave the car in Econo mode and set the SprintBooster to the "green" setting and the throttle response is like the old Sport Mode without having to depress the gas pedal as much as before to accelerate quickly.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E550 Sport Coupe, Capri Blue w/Almond Leather; 2005 Lexus IS300; 1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL
Thumbs up Kleeman ECU remap improves throttle response, HP, and torque on 3.5 V6

I just traded in my '09 C350 Sport sedan for a '10 E350 Sport coupe today. The C350 suffered from the throttle lag you describe. I did the Kleeman ECU remap and lag was totally gone, and added about 20 HP and 20 ft/lbs of torque. Well worth the $700 IMHO.

The E350 doesn't have much lag, but I plan to send the ECU in to Kleeman for the extra oomph. Just love the coupe!

Old 08-08-2015, 04:31 PM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by ikkyu2
I just traded in my '09 C350 Sport sedan for a '10 E350 Sport coupe today. The C350 suffered from the throttle lag you describe. I did the Kleeman ECU remap and lag was totally gone, and added about 20 HP and 20 ft/lbs of torque. Well worth the $700 IMHO.

The E350 doesn't have much lag, but I plan to send the ECU in to Kleeman for the extra oomph. Just love the coupe!
Hi ikkyu.

May I ask-do the modifications by Kleeman void the warranty, to your knowledge?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:37 PM

2012 E550 Sport Coupe, Capri Blue w/Almond Leather; 2005 Lexus IS300; 1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL
ECU tune & Warranty

Originally Posted by Tallman
Hi ikkyu.

May I ask-do the modifications by Kleeman void the warranty, to your knowledge?

Thanks in advance.
My understanding is that MB would have to determine that (a) whatever warranty problem you have is (b) caused by the ECU tune. In order to do that, they would have to be able to "see" that the ECU was not factory spec. I've been told there is no way they can determine this, that the changes to the code in the ECU are not perceptible to the average mechanic and the equipment at his disposal.

My car was out of warranty when I did the mod, so that issue was of no significance to me. That said, I drove the car for 22,000 miles after the tune without any problems whatsoever before I traded it in.

You may want to consult with Kleeman, OE, or other tuners to see what they say.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:35 AM

Bicycle
Talking

My understanding is that MB would have to determine that (a) whatever warranty problem you have is (b) caused by the ECU tune. In order to do that, they would have to be able to "see" that the ECU was not factory spec. I've been told there is no way they can determine this, that the changes to the code in the ECU are not perceptible to the average mechanic and the equipment at his disposal.

My car was out of warranty when I did the mod, so that issue was of no significance to me. That said, I drove the car for 22,000 miles after the tune without any problems whatsoever before I traded it in.

You may want to consult with Kleeman, OE, or other tuners to see what they say.
Thank you. I will look into that.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C207

Did you dynoed before and after with that tune? Or had Vbox numbers to check it added those horses?
Or was it just placebo?
I find it funny that a Lexus, which apparently suck at being sporty (well that is not real) has a very responsive accelerator and you really notice the sport mode.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:34 AM

No dyno. I'm not that hard core. Estimating 20 horses based on the reports of others and how it feels in comparison. Might be 16, might be 23. Doesn't matter to me. Like I said, well worth the $700.

My 2005 IS300 is sporty as hell and I agree that the throttle resonse is great. For style, technology, design and build quality the Benz coupe has it beat. For all-out fun to drive the IS300 leaves me grinning.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:20 AM

2017 GLE350 4Matic
--they should have reversed the ash tray and cup holders so you can access the temperature controls while you have a coffee - the whole middle console looks great but it could have better

I COMPLETELY agree with this. In the hot months in Arizona, you've got a drink sitting there and a constant need to turn the air up.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C207 E350C
Installed the Sprintbooster in my '13 easy enough here too. My only critique of the car is the slow shifting. I'm not going to try to change anything further though overall very happy with the car as is.