E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Intermittent audio static

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 10:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Intermittent audio static

Greetings! I recently purchased a 2012 E550 cab. Great car, but a couple of minor issues. One is that my radio (the HK version) will sometimes develop static (almost almost like blown speakers, or clipping). The first time I noticed it was following a phone call. And it is not just one speaker, but many or all of them. I listen mostly to streaming music from my iPhone, either Pandora or the music library on the phone, so I am thinking that it could be bluetooth related. I thought I fixed it by changing the BT volume setting from boost to normal, but it still came back again.

The last time it happened I tried a radio station, and it seemed better, but I need to experiment more with various sources.

The problem seems to clear up on it's own after a while, sometimes a day or two. I was getting to the point of deciding that some of the speakers might indeed be blown, but on the way in to work this morning it sounded fine while listening to the same song I heard the static in a few days ago.

I have more troubleshooting to do, and I did several forum searches and never found this problem mentioned, but I wanted to go ahead and ask if anyone else here has experienced something like this? If so, I would appreciate any info you can provide.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2015, 09:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63; 2011 E350 Coupe
Sounds like a bad plug connection or ground. However, I am no audio expert.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think it's okay now. I think I was experiencing clipping due to the input volume being too high, combined with the BT volume in boost mode. I turned off boost and recently dropped the volume on my phone as well. It has been fine the last two days.

I am used to needing my phone volume all the way up when streaming music, but it doesn't seem to be necessary with the MB system.

Problem solved I think.