E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

OE Tuning Causing Errors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550 Coupe
OE Tuning Causing Errors

Hi Guys,

I recently installed my 2nd tune with OE Tuning (1st was CLK550) on my recently purchased E550 coupe and I'm having issues with my ECU after the install. Initially after installing the tune the radiator fan wouldn't turn off and temp gauge was flipping out. I talked to OE Tuning and they said it couldn't be the tune that's causing this. I changed the car back to the stock tune and was still dealing with this issue so I took the car to a reputable technician and he said the alternator on the car was replaced cheaply by the previous owner and since it was not putting out enough power it shorted out the radiator fan assembly. After dropping a lot of money to replace the alternator and radiator fan assembly the problem persisted. After a few days it has stopped and now everything is running fine except the COMAND system shuts off after a minute or so when the keys in the 1st or 2nd ignition position but the engine is off.

I'm very concerned other issues will continue to arise. It seems to me that the ECU has been damaged somehow by the tune. There's no other logical explanation. OE Tuning has not been helpful and refuse to admit that their may have possibly damaged the ECU. The response time and effort from them has been poor.

Has anyone else had a similar issue after an ECU flash or tune?
Old 02-24-2016, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 58 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2013 Lexus GS350, 2003 Honda VFR, 2017 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE
I have had an OE Tuning ECU Tune (Stage 1) on my E550 Coupe (M278 TTV8) for about 9 months and have had ZERO issues.

Strange that the ECU was flashed back to OEM state and you still have issues (which would suggest that the tune did not cause the issues). What year and how many miles on your ECoupe?
Old 02-24-2016, 03:43 PM

Brabus
No idea why you would blame the tune for your problems. I don't see how it could be related. It is normal for COMAND to shut down if engine isn't running to prevent dead battery. In my experience it takes longer than 1 minute but your battery might be damaged and have lower capacity because of bad alternator and car is shutting it off sooner than normal.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:43 PM

E550 Coupe
It's a 2010 w/60k miles. From the research in other forums I've done it seems that frying an ECU from a tune is not out of the question. It's the only explanation or my ECU just coincidentally started flipping right after the tune. Doesn't seem likely.

As I mentioned my other experience with OE Tuning was great, it was the same engine as my C207 so I expected the same results. I only had it a few months and put over 10k on the car with the tune and no issues.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:28 PM

E550 Coupe
@lethal: the COMAND isn't supposed to shut off right when the car stops, it wasn't doing this before the tune. Also the radiator fan and temperature gauge issue has to be an ECU, the alternator was replaced as a result of this issue and the problem was persisting. The battery was also replaced last month too.

There's only one item in the car that controls various issues like turning on the radiator fan, monitoring engine temp and shutting the battery off. It's the ECU. The technician is getting all type of error codes from the ECU.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:27 PM
SPONSOR

Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts
OE Tuning C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Gdt858
Hi Guys,

I recently installed my 2nd tune with OE Tuning (1st was CLK550) on my recently purchased E550 coupe and I'm having issues with my ECU after the install. Initially after installing the tune the radiator fan wouldn't turn off and temp gauge was flipping out. I talked to OE Tuning and they said it couldn't be the tune that's causing this. I changed the car back to the stock tune and was still dealing with this issue so I took the car to a reputable technician and he said the alternator on the car was replaced cheaply by the previous owner and since it was not putting out enough power it shorted out the radiator fan assembly. After dropping a lot of money to replace the alternator and radiator fan assembly the problem persisted. After a few days it has stopped and now everything is running fine except the COMAND system shuts off after a minute or so when the keys in the 1st or 2nd ignition position but the engine is off.

I'm very concerned other issues will continue to arise. It seems to me that the ECU has been damaged somehow by the tune. There's no other logical explanation. OE Tuning has not been helpful and refuse to admit that their may have possibly damaged the ECU. The response time and effort from them has been poor.

Has anyone else had a similar issue after an ECU flash or tune?
As explained via email, the problem still persisted after removing the tune and flashing back to stock. This indicates a hardware error. OBD2 flashing is powered by your car battery 12V circuit through OBD2. How can this cause the voltage to spike or cause a related issue unless you have a battery/charging issue?? If you were local to SoCal we could put our Xentry tool on for full diagnosis. As we also stated we have not experienced this issue before.
We have always been available for support and have replied to all emails regarding this matter. We hope your tech can figure out what is up so you can enjoy the tuned power again.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:50 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E550 Coupe and 2010 E350 Sedan
Ah man, sucks. I do hope someone can figure it out for you.

I have had my tune for only about 3 months, but I haven't had any issues either.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
But what is described as malfunctions are not related to ECU calibration at all.

Sounds like your electronics were receiving low voltage and might of damage parts in the car. Completely different issue.

ECU calibrations only deal with throttle position, timing, fuel, air and other settings that engine calibrations.

Command system is completely different than ECU tuning.

If you recently bought this car.. I would invest in Limited Extended Warranty.. it wont be the last time you find issues. As a previous CLK550 owner... you probably already know how much it will be to maintain and repair this car.

My C32 was the worst car I ever owned.. but it was also one of the funnest car I have driver.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C207 E550
It sounds like you need to go to the dealer instead of just local mechanic...
Old 02-27-2016, 07:47 AM

2012 E550 Coupe
This thread confuses me.

You claim the tune caused a radiator fan error, then prove yourself that it was caused by something other than the tune. How is this OE's fault?

Command is supposed to shut down after a time if the engine isn't running. I've never put a clock to it,, but if I'm washing the car and playing the radio, the radio will shut off after some time to prevent battery drain.

I'd rate this thread a fail...
Old 02-28-2016, 02:58 AM

2007 CLK350; 2001 ML320; E550 Coupe
I recently had a tune done by OE Tuning and within hours got a CEL for P061B. Torque calculation performance error. I do notice a big difference in the current tuned torque versus the stock. Car seems less powerful than before. I am contemplating going back to stock tune in hopes of returning that torque feel that my car now seems to lack. I will say that the car has a lot of pep, and the lag is no longer evident. I did not expect a huge power jump with the N/A engine tune but the response time is improved when I get on the gas. Concerned that ECU issues will progress so I think going back might be best. I think the TT engines see much greater results than the N/A engine. Not sure if I would do it again and the concern for additional problems with ECU far out weigh the benefits received from the tune.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
03 SL500(Sold), 09 C300, 11 E550
Originally Posted by Gdt858
Hi Guys,

I recently installed my 2nd tune with OE Tuning (1st was CLK550) on my recently purchased E550 coupe

How many miles did you drive the car stock before adding the OE tune? This very easily could have been a pre-existing problem that would have surfaced with more drive miles on the vehicle. Is it possible that After you got the OE tune done you thrashed the car around a little and that made the issue come to the surface?

I know the first thing i would do after getting a tune is drive it like i stole it... that is the reason for getting the tune, no?
Old 02-29-2016, 12:09 PM
SPONSOR

Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts
OE Tuning C63 AMG
Originally Posted by bjkaiserman
I recently had a tune done by OE Tuning and within hours got a CEL for P061B. Torque calculation performance error. I do notice a big difference in the current tuned torque versus the stock. Car seems less powerful than before. I am contemplating going back to stock tune in hopes of returning that torque feel that my car now seems to lack. I will say that the car has a lot of pep, and the lag is no longer evident. I did not expect a huge power jump with the N/A engine tune but the response time is improved when I get on the gas. Concerned that ECU issues will progress so I think going back might be best. I think the TT engines see much greater results than the N/A engine. Not sure if I would do it again and the concern for additional problems with ECU far out weigh the benefits received from the tune.
Please email sales@oetuning.com so we can assist further.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E550
Seems like your ECU was damaged when it was bench tuned. These ECU's are very tricky to open and tune only because they have to come completely out of their casing. It is a very delicate process and doesn't take very much to fracture the board. Good luck with the fix.