E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rain Sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 01:19 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
11 E350 Cab, 18 GLS450
Rain Sensor

Folks,
2011 E350 Cab.. Love the car with one issue that I think could be fixed but wanted some feedback. If I am in the garage and turn to intermittent slow speed all works great. The wipers stop since no rain.. I pull outside in a light drizzle and the wipers go right to fast speed while still staying on intermittent slow. This has been happening as long as I know and wondering if you all think its just having the sensor sensitivity adjusted if thats such a thing.

Any feedback would be great.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63; 2011 E350 Coupe
Smile

Originally Posted by mikey08
Folks,
2011 E350 Cab.. Love the car with one issue that I think could be fixed but wanted some feedback. If I am in the garage and turn to intermittent slow speed all works great. The wipers stop since no rain.. I pull outside in a light drizzle and the wipers go right to fast speed while still staying on intermittent slow. This has been happening as long as I know and wondering if you all think its just having the sensor sensitivity adjusted if thats such a thing.

Any feedback would be great.

That happens to me occasionally. Initial high speed but then the wipers adjust back to a pace that aligns with the amount of rainfall.

Response to your post is limited because a lot of the members on this forum don't take their car out when it's raining.
The following users liked this post:
mikey08 (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 12:39 PM

11 E350 Cab, 18 GLS450
Originally Posted by NCBob
That happens to me occasionally. Initial high speed but then the wipers adjust back to a pace that aligns with the amount of rainfall.

Response to your post is limited because a lot of the members on this forum don't take their car out when it's raining.
Thanks for the feedback... Mine does the same goes to fast speed but never comes back down to the intermittent speed..
BTW my car saw rain for the first time in 5 years. I only have 13,900 miles on it since getting it brand new. Its under a cover when not out. This is why I finally found the issue since I used the wipers for the first time...

Mike
Old 04-01-2016, 12:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes E350 CD Iridium silver convertible 2010
I doubt tat anything is wrong, sometimes subject to how much water is around the sensor causes it to decide what speed to operate at, so long as it works do not worry!
Old 05-04-2016, 06:00 PM

11 E350 Cab, 18 GLS450
Originally Posted by theraven333
I doubt tat anything is wrong, sometimes subject to how much water is around the sensor causes it to decide what speed to operate at, so long as it works do not worry!
Thought I would just reply to my post... Well I fixed the issue. I took the cover off from the rear view mirror, unhooked the rain sensor from the windshield and cleaned the glass in front of sensor and windshield. Placed it all back and works just fine. The film and dirt on the glass made the sensor think it was raining hard. All works well now. BTW I took it to the dealer and they said I had to replace the whole windshield... Looks like not all dealers know their cars they service...
Old 05-04-2016, 06:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E550C
Originally Posted by mikey08
Thought I would just reply to my post... Well I fixed the issue. I took the cover off from the rear view mirror, unhooked the rain sensor from the windshield and cleaned the glass in front of sensor and windshield. Placed it all back and works just fine. The film and dirt on the glass made the sensor think it was raining hard. All works well now. BTW I took it to the dealer and they said I had to replace the whole windshield... Looks like not all dealers know their cars they service...
Awesome. Favor to ask, Mikey. Can you post more details, if not pics, on this removal and cleaning procedure? I've been thinking about doing it but didn't want to go pulling and breaking clips and such. Also there's a camera in there (i think) and I'm not wanting to risk misaligning it by improper removal. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:56 PM

11 E350 Cab, 18 GLS450
Originally Posted by nauticalx
Awesome. Favor to ask, Mikey. Can you post more details, if not pics, on this removal and cleaning procedure? I've been thinking about doing it but didn't want to go pulling and breaking clips and such. Also there's a camera in there (i think) and I'm not wanting to risk misaligning it by improper removal. Thanks.
Sorry but did not take any pics... But what I did do is order the cover at MB in Tampa for $18.24 plus shipping in the event I did break any clips. The cover is held on in the four corners. I used an interior panel tool to simply pry the first one off then I went around to the other 3 and it came off. The cover mounts right the windshield, along with the rain sensor and camera. The bracket is glued on the windshield. I did not disconnect any wires only removed the sensor from the clip that holds it. I cleaned everything and placed the sensor back and snapped the cover back on. All about 10 minutes of a job.
The video attached shows the sedan windshield being replaced. Same procedure.

The diagram is below:
http://parts.mbfm.com/p/Mercedes-Ben...079010600.html

The part numbers are for the different colors available as well.

Hope this helps... I have seen so many posts in other forums about this and too many people just live with it... I have only used the wipers 2 times on my car and it seems like there was enough film and a small spider web to not make it work as designed. I paid way too much for the car not to used the intermittent wipers...

Cheers,
Mikey
Old 05-06-2016, 02:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E550C
awesome thanks!!