E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

HELP car wont start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550 Coupe
HELP car wont start

My car wont start. Usually when you turn the key to position 1 you get some kind of noise, then position 2 all the dash lights come on.

But I'm not getting any of that.

HELP please

The battery was changed less than 6 months ago with a new mercedes one. But just incase I tried jump starting the car and still nothing.

Also it does not even try to turn over or start. No click or anything.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:53 AM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Nothing lights up on the dash at all even with the jump in place?

You're sure the battery cables on your new battery are not loose in any way?

Do you hear any click at all when you try to star the car?
Old 05-01-2016, 07:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 E550 Coupe
Check battery.

Originally Posted by tw8715
My car wont start. Usually when you turn the key to position 1 you get some kind of noise, then position 2 all the dash lights come on.

But I'm not getting any of that.

HELP please

The battery was changed less than 6 months ago with a new mercedes one. But just incase I tried jump starting the car and still nothing.

Also it does not even try to turn over or start. No click or anything.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:32 AM

E550 Coupe
No click when trying to start. lights and radio and navi all work. dome lights and so on.

just dash does not light up and no clicking or even trying to start.

battery is fine and cables are fine.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
03 SL500(Sold), 09 C300, 11 E550
No click when trying to start. lights and radio and navi all work. dome lights and so on.

If you have a 2010 or 2011 it is most likely a faulty ignition module. My understanding is that those years shared ignition modules with the c class which is known for failing.

Have you noticed in the past that occasionally you would turn the key and the car would not start at all then you would turn back and try it again then it would work? Those intermittent glitches are a sign that the ignition is on its way out. I believe the part was called EIS ( electronic ignition switch?) I had it changed on my c class and my e class appears to be on the way out.

* usually the part doesn't Fail completely so try disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes then spamming that key turn when you plug the battery back in. Also flipping the key in the ignition sometimes worked for me as well as using the spare key ( sometimes it could just be a dead key battery)... If you do get it started that way drive it straight to the shop and get it fixed because the problem never resolves itself if it is the ignition

Last edited by Late; 05-02-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:58 AM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe

No click at all means the starter is not even trying to engage. If you were to hear a single click but nothing else, that would mean the starter's relay kicked in but you had a problem with broken teeth on the solenoid. Since you don't even hear a single click and you still have lights and radio (they don't dim when w you try to start the car right? If they do your battery is not generating enough cracking amps under load.), then the likely problem could be the starter 's relay. Can you verify with a voltmeter that power is getting to the starter relay?

Did the car start fine the day before this and this just happened suddenly or has the car been getting progressively harder to start in recent days?
Old 05-02-2016, 12:35 PM

E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Late
If you have a 2010 or 2011 it is most likely a faulty ignition module. My understanding is that those years shared ignition modules with the c class which is known for failing.

Have you noticed in the past that occasionally you would turn the key and the car would not start at all then you would turn back and try it again then it would work? Those intermittent glitches are a sign that the ignition is on its way out. I believe the part was called EIS ( electronic ignition switch?) I had it changed on my c class and my e class appears to be on the way out.

* usually the part doesn't Fail completely so try disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes then spamming that key turn when you plug the battery back in. Also flipping the key in the ignition sometimes worked for me as well as using the spare key ( sometimes it could just be a dead key battery)... If you do get it started that way drive it straight to the shop and get it fixed because the problem never resolves itself if it is the ignition
hey thanks man, i think this is my problem. car starts fine now and works perfect. also my car uses the push start. but of course you can pull the button out and use the key.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:36 PM

E550 Coupe
do you know the part number for this by any chance?