E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

e class cabriolet 2015 rattling noises

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 12:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
e klass cabriolet 250 cgi 2015
e class cabriolet 2015 rattling noises

hello...i got an e cabrio for like 1 year....and for like 2 months i got this rattling noises from the back of the car , especialy when i get into bumps on street .
also i have an strong noise exactly when i close the roof , the last part , clunkk....it drives me nuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0_T...ature=youtu.be

anyone know the solution ? or should i go to mb service ?
Old 05-31-2016, 03:13 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Sounds like the speaker panel behind the rear seats may be loose. Easy fix at the dealership. Do you have a sample of what the roof closing noise sounds like?
Old 05-31-2016, 04:55 PM

I will video it ! And i will post it tomorow ! 😁
Old 05-31-2016, 06:28 PM

also i don t think that the sound it s from the speaker panel , because when the roof is open i don t hear anything....only with the roof down ..
Old 05-31-2016, 09:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 E550 Cabriolet, 2014 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Originally Posted by dudeasca
hello...i got an e cabrio for like 1 year....and for like 2 months i got this rattling noises from the back of the car , especialy when i get into bumps on street .
also i have an strong noise exactly when i close the roof , the last part , clunkk....it drives me nuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0_T...ature=youtu.be

anyone know the solution ? or should i go to mb service ?
Sounds more like a creak. I get a bit of a higher pitched squeak when the weather is cold. Also, on rough roads, the parts in the top can get moving, and rattle around a bit. I think its pretty normal. With the top down, I don't hear any rattles or squeaks, Try the dealer, but he's just going to poke around for a bit and lube your window seals.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:07 AM

here is the noise from the top operation when it s closing..it s exactly at seconds 8 ..it s more disturbing in real life....
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9bmdceron2...64014.mp4?dl=0

and here is the rattle noises from the back again
it drives me nuts
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gua10bxbd2...64029.mp4?dl=0

i made an appoitment at mb dealer on 7 june ..will let you know if they will fix it ....

also i forgot to tell that i have an rollover sound ( like an bottle that rolles back and up ) Under the passanger seat when i brake or gas it ....i didn t bother me cause the car works perfect

i visited mb dealer when i bought it . and looked under the car , but found nothing ,
and they told me that they need to remove the seat and the Upholstery that s under the seat and the passanger feet and see if it s something there ....
i will try to video it later and share it
Old 06-01-2016, 09:44 AM

and here is the noise under the passanger seat
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g36np3d9n6...88479.mp4?dl=0
Old 06-01-2016, 04:17 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
The second version of the rattle from the back is much clearer. I have to agree with PJ550CAB, that it sounds like a creak to me as well. When I had a Vette, I used to hear something like this, although not as pronounced, all the time after a few years. MB dealership can probably tighten up and lube the entire top mechanical assembly to minimize or potentially eliminate the sound for a time.

Not sure what the clunking sound is when your top is closing. That is annoying as hell. Too bad you can't setup a GoPro camera and small light source in your trunk to video what is happening on both the right and left sides of the top assembly when the top is closing. Then you could see what is making the noise.

No clue on what's going on with your passenger seat. I was thinking maybe the air bladder in the seat, but I can't envision it rolling around like that. Definitely let us know what MB finds on that one.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:26 PM

thanks for the replies guys

regarding the rattler from back that sounds like a creak ...
if i open roof then drive in town and after when i get home close the roof...i can hear the rattle from behind...but if i try to open it again and close it , the sound will dissapear...it just apear after i first open/ close roof

the clunking sound when the top is closing, i have a friend with the exact same car , just different engine , and he has the same problem ...and the dealer couldn t find the problem , they told him to go in germany with the car.....wtf

and under the passanger i think it s an dead mouse rolling there joke

the thing is ,,,the sound it s not exactly under the seat , it s under the passanger feet .

i m happy anyway with the car...it changes gear perfectly ( allthough i will install sprint booster ) , it s very confortable for an sports car ....just this sounds....but happy i don t have mechanical problems...with the engine , gear etc
Old 06-07-2016, 12:49 PM

ok so i just got home from the mb dealer service

they solved non of my problems ....
the sound when closing the roof it s pretty normal ...i just saw today other 2 cars same like mine , and almost sound exactly....so it s no problem for me

the sound under the passanger seat they didn t found nothing under the car , allthough the sound it s still there

and the sound when i m driving , behind the back window , they told me that they changed the "weatherstrip" ( hope i translated ok , in my language it s "cheder" )that was missing causing that strange sound ....

and guess what ...as soon as i get out from the dealer the sound was still there ....

they told me to go to bucharest dealer mb and they will solve the problems ....
but i don t have time for this , just because they are unable to solve themselves ....
damn it...i will live with the sounds and that s it ....

tomorow i will go at an professional service just to lube , and to silicon spray the cabrio system ( of course the mb dealers can t do this....mfukers)
....maybe it will work ..will keep you updated

thanks all for the replies
Old 06-07-2016, 04:53 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
Sorry to hear the dealership could not find or fix anything on your car. Their telling you to go to another MB dealership to potentially get some of the sounds addressed is just ludicrous. What they're really saying is they don't know how to service the vehicles they sell, so you should go to another dealership with potentially better skills.

Just as an FYI on most makes of convertibles I've driven, the body flex over time tends to create these little creaking sounds. Nature of the beast. The usual "fix", although temporary in nature, is usually going over the roof mechanism looking for anything that has loosened up slightly, re-tightening it where possible and then lubing all the moving parts.

As for what is making the sound on your passenger side, like I said before I have no clue. If the dealership couldn't see anything when they had the car on a lift, then it's not suspension or structurally related in nature. Just very annoying. I was wondering if maybe something related to the cabin filter is loose and just knocking back and forth.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:44 PM

ok so i just got back from an proffesional service and they lubed and spray silicon around the cabrio sistem and the rattle noise from behind dissapeared....

lol ....
so mb dealership couldn;t fix it , and some service in 10 min solved the problem

i still have the problem with the sound under the passanger seat ... but don -t know what to do...i think maybe after summer in september i will go to another mb dealership like 250 km away from me
will see
Old 06-10-2016, 07:02 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
Good to hear you got the roof noise resolved. Just plan on repeating the lube process every six or seven months going forward. Kind of a necessity with most convertibles.

After you take your car to another MB dealership in the fall, let us know what that God awful thumping noise was from on your passenger side. In the meantime, enjoy your car.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:03 PM

Thanks mate
You too ��
Old 09-22-2016, 06:02 AM

update ....
after 2 days from getting from the local service it started to rattle again from the back

so i decided to fix it my self....i put WD40 on an towel ... and i started to check eveery single plastic that the system of the convertible has....so guess what rattle dissapeared sisnce then ,,and it s almost 4 months

and the sound from the passanger like an rollover sound i solved it finally today
when i was at the mb dealer to service B ....
and the guy who was taking care of my car was at the change of i don t know what , under the passanger feet and that compartiment...
and i asked him to remove all the carpet too see what is there ....
he removed it and was nothing there....
then i saw some plastic tube coming from the console of the car and all the way right under the seat

he tries to removed it and confirmed something was there
finally removes it and look what i found in there
40 m of wire ...like 1kg heavy
and finally the sound of the rollver under the passanger seat it s off
i have no ideea why the f it was there....
finally my car after almost 1 year it s rattle free.....( only the normal squaking from the top)
and now enjoying my ride like never before

damn..like after 1 year
Attached Thumbnails e class cabriolet 2015 rattling noises-whatsapp-image-2016-09-14-15.50.54.jpeg   e class cabriolet 2015 rattling noises-whatsapp-image-2016-09-14-16.02.24.jpeg  

Last edited by dudeasca; 09-22-2016 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:55 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
Wow! Yeah a 1kg weight rolling around under the seat will certainly make that thudding sound. Good thing you finally had them lift up the carpeting. Did the service rep have any idea what that kind of wire is used for in your particular model? Can't imagine that the roll of wire has been rolling around under the seat since the car was manufactured and no one else noticed before.

As for the rattles, just keep lubing all the parts every six or seven months and you'll be noise free.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:14 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
I had a rattle every time I stepped on the gas slowly. Turned out there was something loose inside the right muffler. They had to replace the whole muffler. This is a 2013 E350 cab with 15.5k miles.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by PaulE550
Wow! Yeah a 1kg weight rolling around under the seat will certainly make that thudding sound. Good thing you finally had them lift up the carpeting. Did the service rep have any idea what that kind of wire is used for in your particular model? Can't imagine that the roll of wire has been rolling around under the seat since the car was manufactured and no one else noticed before.

As for the rattles, just keep lubing all the parts every six or seven months and you'll be noise free.
the service had no ideea .....
the car i bought it from an dealer from germany RKG at 18k km and it was the best equipped car from there and the cheapest maybe that s why it was the cheapest cause they didn t know how to solve that problem...and they didnt told me about it...

i noticed the rattle 1 week after i got it ....
good thing i finally did it and as i said before enjoing my car like never before
Old 09-23-2016, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by dudley07726
I had a rattle every time I stepped on the gas slowly. Turned out there was something loose inside the right muffler. They had to replace the whole muffler. This is a 2013 E350 cab with 15.5k miles.
good thing you solve it i had the rattle for 1 year under the seat. and non can solve it ....finally i m rattle free