E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Takata Air Bag Equipped

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 06:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E550C
[QUOTE=SDRider;6875163]Try not to crash it?

I guess you could ask MB to loan you another Takata equipped car to blow up in your face if you really want it. Seriously, have you seen the list of cars affected by this?[/QU

Could have bought a cheap honda, like a friend of mine, and been in an unaffected vehicle for over a month by now. the mercedes fanboy-ism is crazy. folks we are talking about life or death, no level of love for this company is going to give you your life back if this should fail. they certainly seem to think the cost of having to pay for your claim is less than doing you right. its hilarious, because it's obvious that the love for company is not reciprocated in any way by love for your life.

keep drinking the kool-aid guys. keep drinking it all up.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:03 PM

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts
2017 Mercedes-Benz AMG C63 Cabriolet, 2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
[QUOTE=nauticalx;6875843]
Originally Posted by SDRider
Try not to crash it?

I guess you could ask MB to loan you another Takata equipped car to blow up in your face if you really want it. Seriously, have you seen the list of cars affected by this?[/QU

Could have bought a cheap honda, like a friend of mine, and been in an unaffected vehicle for over a month by now. the mercedes fanboy-ism is crazy. folks we are talking about life or death, no level of love for this company is going to give you your life back if this should fail. they certainly seem to think the cost of having to pay for your claim is less than doing you right. its hilarious, because it's obvious that the love for company is not reciprocated in any way by love for your life.

keep drinking the kool-aid guys. keep drinking it all up.
Not really sure what you expect me to do. If we all take our cars back and demand resolution immediately Mercedes won't be able to handle the request... no car company could.

**** it... I'm going to die at some point in my life, it is inevitable. Hell, I ride a motorcycle to work some days. If I tried to avoid everything that could kill me I'd probably never leave the house.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:42 PM

E550C
[QUOTE=SDRider;6876102]
Originally Posted by nauticalx

Not really sure what you expect me to do. If we all take our cars back and demand resolution immediately Mercedes won't be able to handle the request... no car company could.

**** it... I'm going to die at some point in my life, it is inevitable. Hell, I ride a motorcycle to work some days. If I tried to avoid everything that could kill me I'd probably never leave the house.
Other car companies are handling it. If you went there and politely asked them for a vehicle that isn't affected until yours is fixed and that you're afraid of driving your own vehicle, they would tell you to go fly a kite. Trust me, I've done it.

On another note, someone claiming from the media contacted me wanting to know more and apparently interested in this situation. Maybe they'll run a story or article on it. Let's see. More people need to know! This is not right.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:42 AM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
[QUOTE=nauticalx;6876123]

Other car companies are handling it. If you went there and politely asked them for a vehicle that isn't affected until yours is fixed and that you're afraid of driving your own vehicle, they would tell you to go fly a kite. Trust me, I've done it.

On another note, someone claiming from the media contacted me wanting to know more and apparently interested in this situation. Maybe they'll run a story or article on it. Let's see. More people need to know! This is not right.
I still say if you're that afraid of driving your car (you refer to it as a death trap now), then just trade it in for the Honda you speak of. At the end of the day, you have to feel safe behind the wheel and it's clear this Takata air bag issue has you deeply concerned. Seriously, for your own peace of mind, trade your MB in for a Honda and you'll be able to sleep at night.

As to the air bag issue in general, several major car companies, not just MB, are impacted by this Takata issue and they're all scrambling to find and test a suitable alternative and then retro-fit several hundred thousand cars world-wide. All the car companies are still using terms like several months or a year or two, when asked when they'll finally be able to retro-fit all the cars involved.

I get you think that MB or any of the other car manufacturers impacted should just provide loaner vehicles to whomever asks for one for however long it takes for this recall / retro-fit process to be completed, but as I said before you're looking at potentially hundreds of thousands of loaner cars, which they don't have just sitting around, being handed out to existing owners for up to a year or two. Most luxury brand dealerships, not just MB, only have on average between 30 and occasionally up to 50 total loaner cars on their lot. They would need a increase that number by at least a factor of 10 to even begin to hand out the number of free loaner cars you suggest.

I've owned several different luxury brand vehicles over the years and most of these car companies typically provide loaner cars for up to four to eight weeks unless it is a major, one off mechanical issue for a specific customer and the repairs will run a bit longer. None of them just have a massive fleet of loaner cars sitting around should dozens or hundreds of owners just stroll in and say they want a long-term loaner for something like this.

Remember, there is no widely available replacement to the Takata air bags or the impacted car companies would have already sent letters to every customer effected with a specific time frame for them to bring their cars in for the repair. Can't fix what you don't have replacement parts in stock to do the job. So far, the only car company I've ever heard of, and that would be from you by the way, that is willing and able to supply all these free loaner cars to their existing customers on demand, is Honda. So again, for your own peace of mind, the best option for you would be a Honda.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:29 AM

E550C
[QUOTE=PaulE550;6876144]

I still say if you're that afraid of driving your car (you refer to it as a death trap now), then just trade it in for the Honda you speak of. At the end of the day, you have to feel safe behind the wheel and it's clear this Takata air bag issue has you deeply concerned. Seriously, for your own peace of mind, trade your MB in for a Honda and you'll be able to sleep at night.

As to the air bag issue in general, several major car companies, not just MB, are impacted by this Takata issue and they're all scrambling to find and test a suitable alternative and then retro-fit several hundred thousand cars world-wide. All the car companies are still using terms like several months or a year or two, when asked when they'll finally be able to retro-fit all the cars involved.

I get you think that MB or any of the other car manufacturers impacted should just provide loaner vehicles to whomever asks for one for however long it takes for this recall / retro-fit process to be completed, but as I said before you're looking at potentially hundreds of thousands of loaner cars, which they don't have just sitting around, being handed out to existing owners for up to a year or two. Most luxury brand dealerships, not just MB, only have on average between 30 and occasionally up to 50 total loaner cars on their lot. They would need a increase that number by at least a factor of 10 to even begin to hand out the number of free loaner cars you suggest.

I've owned several different luxury brand vehicles over the years and most of these car companies typically provide loaner cars for up to four to eight weeks unless it is a major, one off mechanical issue for a specific customer and the repairs will run a bit longer. None of them just have a massive fleet of loaner cars sitting around should dozens or hundreds of owners just stroll in and say they want a long-term loaner for something like this.

Remember, there is no widely available replacement to the Takata air bags or the impacted car companies would have already sent letters to every customer effected with a specific time frame for them to bring their cars in for the repair. Can't fix what you don't have replacement parts in stock to do the job. So far, the only car company I've ever heard of, and that would be from you by the way, that is willing and able to supply all these free loaner cars to their existing customers on demand, is Honda. So again, for your own peace of mind, the best option for you would be a Honda.
You keep saying the same thing and no one cares. I know what's best for me and don't need your 2 cents.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:42 PM

I had the dealership check my vin and the vin on my wife's CLS and neither car are showing a recall for the air bag inflator problem.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:02 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
[QUOTE=nauticalx;6876254]
Originally Posted by PaulE550

You keep saying the same thing and no one cares. I know what's best for me and don't need your 2 cents.
And yet you are the one who endlessly keeps saying, over and over again on this thread that nobody else so far seems to agree with, that MB should hand out free loaner cars on demand to everyone or MB is a completely ***** company. No doubt along with every other luxury car company currently in the same boat as MB. That you're forced to drive around in, as you put it, "a death trap". No one is forcing you drive around in "a death trap" as you put it. Just drive one of your other cars until MB issues the recall / retrofit notice with a scheduled time / date for repair or buy yourself the Honda and be done with it. Endlessly whining about how MB won't give you what you want, so their cr@p, accomplishes nothing.

You are of course free to disregard this advice or anyone else's and continue to rant on the subject. It is still a free country. Good luck to you.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:06 PM

E550C
[QUOTE=PaulE550;6876692]

And yet you are the one who endlessly keeps saying, over and over again on this thread that nobody else so far seems to agree with, that MB should hand out free loaner cars on demand to everyone or MB is a completely ***** company. No doubt along with every other luxury car company currently in the same boat as MB. That you're forced to drive around in, as you put it, "a death trap". No one is forcing you drive around in "a death trap" as you put it. Just drive one of your other cars until MB issues the recall / retrofit notice with a scheduled time / date for repair or buy yourself the Honda and be done with it. Endlessly whining about how MB won't give you what you want, so their cr@p, accomplishes nothing.

You are of course free to disregard this advice or anyone else's and continue to rant on the subject. It is still a free country. Good luck to you.
You mis-characterize and assume other people's positions. Just because you are a fan-boy doesn't mean everyone else is. Don't let the airbag hit you on the way out. I hope it feels good knowing that MB doesn't care two licks about your safety, or at the least, cares less than their bottom line.

There are plenty affected and who care - You have nothing to add.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:48 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
'11 E550 Cpe/'04 GT3
Now, now boys and girls, let's get back to the subject that I started this thread for to begin with - the sharing of information regarding defective airbags in our benzs.

Something that hasn't been discussed is the fact that the air bags are more prone to set themselves off in hot, humid locations. Like the Deep South of the USofA. So.... If this is where you're located, I'd hightail it to my local dealer or MB customer care center to let them know that you just don't feel at ease driving your coupe/ convo to Disney World and back this summer.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:55 PM

E550C
Originally Posted by pca7ggr
Now, now boys and girls, let's get back to the subject that I started this thread for to begin with - the sharing of information regarding defective airbags in our benzs.

Something that hasn't been discussed is the fact that the air bags are more prone to set themselves off in hot, humid locations. Like the Deep South of the USofA. So.... If this is where you're located, I'd hightail it to my local dealer or MB customer care center to let them know that you just don't feel at ease driving your coupe/ convo to Disney World and back this summer.
Agreed. They know this fully when I unsuccessfully requested a temporary replacement vehicle . I Live in the south and the vehicle is a 2010 model. They couldnt have cared less and make no distinction given these aggravating factors . Their response is that there have been no deaths thus far reported. Having a vehicle more at risk because of known factors does not cause them to do anything different. Extremely disappointing and bodes directly against the argument that the problem is too large to address with temporary Vehicles. At least do the ones most at risk right. That's too much to ask for mercedes it seems.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:18 AM

'11 E550 Cpe/'04 GT3
Back in the '70s, the Ford Pinto was known to have gas tanks that "could explode when the car was rear-ended. My spouse was in outside sales and was assigned one as a work vehicle. When she told her sales manager that she didn't feel safe driving the Pinto, he dismissed her complaint.

I had here write a "memo for record" regarding her concern and she asked that it be put in her personal file. The next day she was assigned a different make car.

Getting things in writing often works much better than verbal communications.

This is very true when liability issues are concerned - verbal communications do not hold up as well as written in a court. Dealing with an insurance company in a claim is a good example.
The following users liked this post:
nauticalx (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 07:58 PM

E550C
Back in the '70s, the Ford Pinto was known to have gas tanks that "could explode when the car was rear-ended. My spouse was in outside sales and was assigned one as a work vehicle. When she told her sales manager that she didn't feel safe driving the Pinto, he dismissed her complaint.

I had here write a "memo for record" regarding her concern and she asked that it be put in her personal file. The next day she was assigned a different make car.

Getting things in writing often works much better than verbal communications.

This is very true when liability issues are concerned - verbal communications do not hold up as well as written in a court. Dealing with an insurance company in a claim is a good example.
very good tips. my request was escalated to corporate case manager. case manager in polite terms simply said they arent proving them and consider the cars safe but cannot guarantee i wont be the first one to love my face to a failed bag. that was all i needed to know both, that benz doesnt care for my safety over profit, and that I must not drive the vehicle until the repairs are conducted, whenever that is.

Absent sending them a letter to confirm the outcome of this case, I dont see what else there is that I can do to convince them to do the right thing. I will just stop referring them business. we have several benzes in the family and several others who I have convinced to buy benz. no longer. i will lose the use of my vehicle for a while but they lost a customer and hundreds of thousands in future business. i actually feel more sorry for them actually. the company is really acting contrary to their mottos and tarnishing its fine image for all to see.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:19 PM

'11 E550 Cpe/'04 GT3
Hope your friends like driving Hondas - ;>)
Old 08-03-2016, 11:55 PM

E550C
Indeed. When a plain-jane car company like honda treats its customers better than a so called premium car company such as mercedes, you know you're being taking for granted. i know I did.

thankfully, I can speak with my wallet and others who rely upon my advice and expertise for guidance.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:27 PM

'11 E550 Cpe/'04 GT3
Great news guys - just got a second letter from MBNA, Now the passenger side airbag is included in Recall #201607003 for certain Model Year 2008-2011 MB vehicles.
But wait there's more

"We are working closely with NHTSA and airbag suppliers to provide a remedy. Unfortunately parts are currently not available. As soon as a suitable replacement part is available for your vehicle for your vehicle, we will send you another letter notifying you to bring in your vehicle....

But wait there's more...

"Until this time, there is no action required on your part."

Knowing that I'm now up to date on the latest from MBNA, I can now drive my coupe with peace of mind.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:34 PM

E550C
Great news guys - just got a second letter from MBNA, Now the passenger side airbag is included in Recall #201607003 for certain Model Year 2008-2011 MB vehicles.
But wait there's more

"We are working closely with NHTSA and airbag suppliers to provide a remedy. Unfortunately parts are currently not available. As soon as a suitable replacement part is available for your vehicle for your vehicle, we will send you another letter notifying you to bring in your vehicle....

But wait there's more...

"Until this time, there is no action required on your part."

Knowing that I'm now up to date on the latest from MBNA, I can now drive my coupe with peace of mind.
wow, thanks for posting. i just checked and see the same , passenger airbag now added to the list. unreal.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 E550 Coupe
Take a look at the long list of affected make and models. Sure, Honda is loaning out 10MM vehicles. Sorry, but some of the things said on this forum are a bit ridiculous.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/massive...vehicles/#list
Old 08-05-2016, 08:51 PM

E550C
Some people may try to be funny, others are clouded by their fanboyism , the following is why I'm not driving my vehicle Until it's fixed. Hope the airbag doesn't hit you in the eye!

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/08/03/t...he-dealership/

Last edited by nauticalx; 08-06-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:02 AM

'11 E550 Cpe/'04 GT3
This just in....

MBNA has instituted a new program to address faulty air bags in their cars. It has advised its dealers to disable the airbags and affix “Do Not Sit Here” messages to the dashboard.

An update to the above....

This is actually being done by Toyota to address their defective passenger side air bags.

Honda has made no comment on this innovative solution as they run out of loaner cars.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E550C, 2017 E300
"Nine of the 10 (US) deaths were in Hondas, one was in a 2006 Ford Ranger."

No wonder Honda is motivated to provide loaners.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:27 PM

E550C
same risk of death, same defects, (metal shrapnels upon deployment). there are a ton more hondas on the road and yet given the volume of their vehicles and their much lower price point, they care more about their duty as a carmaker than other companies that claim to be superior. words are cheap, kidos to the company stepping up to the table to the shame of others who simply talk highly.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:19 PM

same risk of death, same defects, (metal shrapnels upon deployment). there are a ton more hondas on the road and yet given the volume of their vehicles and their much lower price point, they care more about their duty as a carmaker than other companies that claim to be superior. words are cheap, kidos to the company stepping up to the table to the shame of others who simply talk highly.
So, go buy a Honda.

Me, I'll stick with my Mercedes.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:46 PM

E550C
So, go buy a Honda.

Me, I'll stick with my Mercedes.
Thanks for the unsolicited off-point advice. Make sure if it goes off in your face you try to turn so that the shrapnel might hit some of the empty space in your head.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the unsolicited off-point advice. Make sure if it goes off in your face you try to turn so that the shrapnel might hit some of the empty space in your head.
Will do. Thanks for the advice.

I nominate you for a Nobel Peace Prize for you unending work to save us all.

You're quite the humanitarian.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:27 AM

'11 E550 Cpe/'04 GT3
I would think that a Nobel Prize nomination trumps a Darwin Award nomination. Or does it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Takata Air Bag Equipped