E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Transmission Delay when shifting from R to D

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550 Coupe 2011
Transmission Delay when shifting from R to D

Hi All-

I tried searching this forum for the same issue but only found similar issues with slightly different symptoms and models.

This is for E-class coupe C207 2011 E550.

I seem to get a consistent about 3 second delay when shifting from Reverse to Drive. This is an issue when trying to make a 3-point turn and other drivers are waiting. It happens no matter if transmission is cold or hot, you must wait for about 3 seconds for transmission to engage before hitting gas pedal after shifting from R to D. This becomes a safety issue when you do not wait (like on most normal cars) and keep pressing the gas pedal the transmission will eventually engage abruptly with lots of throttle launching the car ahead burning rubber.

I have heard there is a software upgrade that can potentially remedy this issue. The car is out of warranty so any idea how much it will cost to fix it or if there is DIY solution?

Thank you in advance.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Well first of all don't believe the Bens World HS about a supposed software upgrade, most sellers invoke that when they know there are mechanical issues with the trany and they will be out of pocket a couple of grand.

Get smart, have the dealer scan(100 bucks) the car and get a copy of the scan detail and a quote---then and only then will you really know what is causing the delay.

Else you are back in--Oh my girlfriend thinks it's-------
Old 06-14-2016, 11:52 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
11 E350 Cab, 18 GLS450
Originally Posted by 84gts
Hi All-

I tried searching this forum for the same issue but only found similar issues with slightly different symptoms and models.

This is for E-class coupe C207 2011 E550.

I seem to get a consistent about 3 second delay when shifting from Reverse to Drive. This is an issue when trying to make a 3-point turn and other drivers are waiting. It happens no matter if transmission is cold or hot, you must wait for about 3 seconds for transmission to engage before hitting gas pedal after shifting from R to D. This becomes a safety issue when you do not wait (like on most normal cars) and keep pressing the gas pedal the transmission will eventually engage abruptly with lots of throttle launching the car ahead burning rubber.

I have heard there is a software upgrade that can potentially remedy this issue. The car is out of warranty so any idea how much it will cost to fix it or if there is DIY solution?

Thank you in advance.
Have had this since the first day I bought my 2011. I drove others as well to be sure and they all respond the same. What I have learned to do is be patient. There is no software upgrade I am aware of nor is the dealer.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
03 SL500(Sold), 09 C300, 11 E550
i know in the older models you could do the TCU reset for sharper shifts while the TCU learned your driving style.

(1.) Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.
(2.) Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.
(3.) Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
(4.) Wait at least two minutes for TCU to reset. (key in)
(5.) drive a few miles aggressively in sport mode

If that doesn't work and you don't see any leaking when you remove the splash guards underneath then you probably have a seal that is failing and will need to have it looked at.

Have you noticed and clunking noises when shifting from reverse drive? if so it could be something as simple as a worn engine or tranny mount.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63; 2011 E350 Coupe
I also have the delay. Sometimes frustrating, but living with it.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E550
Have the transmission serviced along with the valve body.. The thing here is to try and find the right dealer, or transmission shop, that will do exactly that and not take you for a complete rebuild instead.