E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

Tranny trouble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 300D
Tranny trouble

Good evening everyone, I have checked out this site many times but this is my first post.

The other morning I went to leave for work, let the car warm up for about 5 min. got in backed out of my parking spot and put it in drive. Nothing happened, It was like I put the tranny in neutral. Reverse still works, fluid is at the right level smells and feels fine.

I'm at a loss, I don't know anything about these trans. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 02-17-2011, 10:55 AM

83, 300D Federal
Are you able to shift it manually put it into second gear and drive the Car or are all forward gears gone?

If you have only lost First gear the above is the typical symptom of a Broken or stuck B2 Piston inside of the Transmission.
I just replaced the B2 Piston in mine about 2 weeks ago. If you go to the Diesel Giant website he has a pictorial on how to do it.
If you decide to t do the job yourself of furnish the parts for someone else to do the job let me know because I know a parts place that sells the B2 Piston for slightly less than $105 with free shipping.
They also sell the O-ring, Lip Seal and Replacement Bushing needed for the job.
The above being said you still need to make sure your Transmission Fluid is to the proper level and it also a good idea that unless it has been done lately to change the Transmission Filter if only to rule that out as a source of the problem.

I also found that on mine by backing off the Tension on the Bodwin Cable the Transmission would always start the Car moving in 2nd gear but of course all of the forward shifs would be early.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:05 AM

83, 300D Federal
Broken B2 Piston.
All the stuff in the below pic is supposed to be one assembly.
Attached Thumbnails Tranny trouble-b2-piston-broke-2.jpg  
Old 02-18-2011, 11:27 AM

1985 300D
Thank you for the responses. I have no forward gears at all, doesn't even try to engage.
The morning this all started the car did go into drive and I was able to move forward about 20 feet. Then it was like I lost traction.