E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

No lights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300d
No lights?

Well, I bought an 81 300d for $400 and it has a few issues. The body is almost perfect, it runs good and drives well far as I can tell. However lights and power windows aren't working...sort of. The headlight switch, as I'm sure you all know, has multiple positions and even pulls out. I am not quite sure what the left positions do, but when I turn the switch to the right, all I get is the left front park lamp, no headlights. All fuses are there and aren't blown. The previous owner has all rear bulbs out, so I don't know about those yet. Anybody have an idea about where to start, and can explain the headlight switch?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300d
After looking into it closer, I have found a few things out. The left side marking, or parking lamps work. They work on either the standing light setting, parking light setting, or headlamp setting. I get nothing from the right side, and no headlights, low or high beam. With the headlight switch on, and using a circuit tester, I checked the fuses and the metal links they go into. I have power on #2, #3 and the C spot on the fuse box. #3 is the parking light left fuse. #1 should be for the right side, as well as some other things like warning buzzer...which works! All fuses are good, and I am getting no light on the circuit tester anywhere I touch it on either 7,9,11 or 13...all headlight fuses. The ground for the left side is M1, and it must be ok because the parking lights work. Is there something I am missing, or a reason why I am getting no power to the fuses? The switch must work, left side parking lights come on.