E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

Been given a 280E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz 280e
Been given a 280E

Hello everyone on this forum, I am new. Nice to meet you all.

So quick story, my grandfather died sometime ago (Rest in Peace) and he was a mechanic. Unrelated but, he used to work for like Chrysler in Australia. He left a 280E which is in amazing condition somewhat internally (interior, etc) and was restoring it. My grandmother so generously actually thought to give it to me which I was proud to receive as I am a big lover of Mercedes Benz and Muscles Cars in general. My main want for it was to restore it in my grandfathers name. FYI my grandfather used to have a Impala which I wish he kept, it was one of the most amazing muscle cars of that time. Anyway back to the topic, I will be updating this thread because I want you professionals to advice me on certain things to restore this amazing 280E to the condition that it once was. I will post pictures of its current condition and if possible could advice me of things that I could do myself or by mechanic. I hear somethings on a Merc are fairly easy to fix including these older models. I do have experience in mechanics doing a course but still lack most knowledge which I am willing to learn.

Things I am currently thinking of restoring of:

1. Engine - But at the moment I think my grandma said it was at 150,000km's.
2. Floor interior - It is clean but one part at the back is missing
3. I think if I am correct some of the chrome is oxidizing but not too much
4. More to come soon.

What would be the first things to restore in your opinion guys and girls? I am willing to follow your opinions!

I will post pictures up of this car for you to see its condition!

Thank you guys and girls.

Merchy280e