chapter one: Advice for new owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmw k75s
chapter one: Advice for new owner

hello,

I posted this on the benzworld forum as well so I'm sorry if this is a repeat for anyone browsing around...

I have plunged into mid 80s diesel lore.

My new car/project is a 1983 300D turbo. The body is rough and the interior needs some attention, but the engine and transmission seem strong. I was told the lower control arm bushing would need to be done when I bought it. I could sense from driving it that there would definitely be a lot more needed but felt it was a solid bet based on the running condition of the engine and drivetrain. I see potential in it.

I finally got her up in the air and my instincts were good. The positive being that I knew the car could feel much better and now I know why.

It needs the following. Some of these items can be "lived with" but I don't have an interest in approaching it that way. I just bought the car and plan on logging a few highway miles. Looks aside, I think it is worth the investment. Also, taking care of these things will make significant difference in how it drives.

- Lower ball joints (*recommended)
- Lower control arm bushings (*one side must, other on its way)
- Right upper control arm / bushing (*recommended)
- Left radius arm bushing
- Steering shock

- Transmission mount (*must)
- Engine mounts (almost a must)

The place I went also recommended having the bottom of the motor cleaned (the top of the engine looks ready for the prom.) He felt if there were leaks which might destroy the mounts/etc it would be better to know at the outset. Myself, knowing there will always be leaks, and even if there is one which I might not want to pay to fix; I would still replace mounts rather than live with it. But it is the right way to approach it, so no knock on the mechanic.

If it is leaking enough to affect the mounts, do they deteriorate on the order of years or months?

I am flat broke but if I can get the cost down a bit will find a way to make it all happen. I was planning on $400-500 anyways, because every used car known to man spits out a $400 bill within the first few months. The parts are roughly a very reasonable $300 using good quality. To do this at a garage would equal 7+/- hours, and that's where I need some advice.

- I plan to start with the engine/trans mounts, upper control arm, & steering shock, leaving the LCA and lower ball joints to the garage, since they might be much more easily tackle with garage tools.

- what are the odds I should also change the engine shocks (dampers)? There is a pretty good shake at idle and with shutdown but the other mounts are also known to be bad. Can the engine shocks be tested?

- Are there any other items i should also take care of. Front engine t mount? Sway bar stabilizer bushing?

- Are there any recommended mechanics (independent or shop) near san diego?

- Are there any of you fine people out there, within the radius of a long car ride, who might find it a good time trading an afternoon for some american currency and beer?

- any opinions on this motor mount install kit from mercedes source?

thanks in advance for any and all input.