E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

New Member / Cross Country Drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W123 - 1983 240D
New Member / Cross Country Drive

Hello. My name is Ed and this is my first post here so please be patient with me (made this exact post on "the other" forum as well (both sites are great IMO).

I'm in the process of purchasing a 1983 240D and I'm seriously considering driving in home (FL to CA). Car "looks" to be in good shape/well cared for. I know, I know, not too bright since I don't have first-hand knowledge of the car but it's something that I've always wanted to do. I'll likely be taking 10 the whole way so I was wondering if anyone had any tips for essentials to purchase before setting out to address critical items that tend to fail. Also, could someone point me in the right direction for a good source on parts/mechanics en route just in case something does go wrong?

Any advice, tips, and/or psychoanalysis would be much appreciated.

Ed
Old 02-22-2016, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
200D w123
I'm not from the US but i can only advise you to perhaps take a few meters of 8mm fuel hose with you and with that the according straps to tighten it this is to fix the worn out fuel lines incase one breaks otherwise use clean diesel and you schould be good good luck and let us know !
Old 02-22-2016, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 477 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
I bought my first benz ('85 300D) sight unseen from a guy who was 1800 miles away. Flew out, got in, and drove home.

Do as much studying on your specific model as you can prior to getting in. If you're not flying to the car, you have the advantage of bringing along a few hand tools. Nothing serious, just a metric set of rachets/box wrenches and some screwdrivers, maybe a cheap electrical tester if you know how one works. Pay attention to the fluid levels when you first meet the car and each time you stop for food/fuel/rest/whatever.

In my experience, the car will tell you LONG in advance before an essential part fails. The rest is just comfort items and can be worked around until you're home.

Do it. Don't be in a hurry (maybe take some side roads instead of just superslab) and enjoy the ride.

If that car in Florida doesn't work out, talk to me. My 300D is for sale and it's a lot closer...

Last edited by rapidoxidation; 02-22-2016 at 07:34 PM.