E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

Questions and Help in North FL

Old 12-09-2016, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not an MB owner yet...
Thumbs up Questions and Help in North FL

Greeting from North Central Florida!

This is quite the tale, and will take up a bit of your time, but without the background and foreground you will not understand where we are trying to get to.

My wife and I bought a VW TDi, 2015 Golf Sportwagen, last year and are part of the massive cluster known as the VW Buyback program.... What a long process, but we are patient and are awaiting our offer from VW to schedule out buyback appointment. We have a farm, not a gigantic farm, but a gentleman's farm, 10 acres with goats, chickens, pigs, turkeys, dogs, and one fat cat. We bought the station wagon with the intent of having this be our 20 year car. We haul feed in it, livestock occasionally (with tarps and crates to protect the interior) and use it to commute to work, a 32 mile round trip. Occasionally, we go on drives of 400 miles or more, but that is only once or twice a year.

So, as you can now imagine, we are in the market for a replacement wagon. There are several points to be made before anyone is tempted to begin the "you should get a "Subaru/Toyota/Oldsmobile/Honda" reply here....

1. We don't want a cr@p station wagon
2. We do use/require a station wagon
3. I already have an F-250 for our horse trailer/tractor trailer/ round bales of hay hauling
4. I am an awesome mechanic being able to rebuild anything and have restored old trucks, farm tractors, and motorcycles

My wife and I really dislike most of the wagons currently available, and we are about 1 month from being entirely debt free (WOOHOO!!!) so are not willing to finance a new car. We are looking for a wagon to last us 10 -15 years. We are seriously considering an MB wagon, preferably the W123 body style. We are able to spend about 5-7 K with this purchase and would much prefer to spend our hard earned cash with an individual rather than a dealership. I have been looking at several 300TD's online, from Texas to California, and north to Michigan.... But we are in North Florida and I am not willing to purchase a car unseen/test driven by myself.

So, here we are, almost wagonless, searching for a car. We have a request for the MB owners in Central/North Florida, can we please test drive your car? Even if it is not for sale. We need to make sure it is something my wife can drive comfortably, as she is 5' 2" and needs to see over the steering wheel (true story!) and also see how it handles to make sure this is something she can drive regularly. Secondly, do you have a wagon for sale, or know someone who does? We would love to meet them!

Thanks and we are looking forward to hearing from you!

Kyle and Anja
Newberry, FL.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not an MB owner yet...
Just wanted to update everyone that we have made several contacts in our area to help us begin our search for our vintage wagon!
Thanks!
Kyle