E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Fuel Relay or Fuel Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 BMW 325is
Question Fuel Relay or Fuel Issue

My wife's 1995 E420 has decided to stop starting.

Here's the symptoms. Sunday we drove around, everything was fine. Got home, went in, and came out about 30 minutes later, car won't start.

When I got around to investigating, I noticed a clicking noise coming from rear seat area (also, seem to hear something perhaps from the front in the battery not here area but not 100% if it's different noise). The noise doesn't always happen but does often just turning the key to the first position.

After disassembling the relay, I was able to get it started by manually holding the contact down. Otherwise it just sort of chatters and never makes full contact. I purchased a new relay yesterday but no affect. At first it didn't make any noise but later I did here the chattering noise from the new relay.

Battery is brand new. I was going to check some voltages at the relay later today but aside from that, I don't know what else to check. Kind of worried that it may be an ECU issue or something.

If anyone can offer some suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited by TobyK; 04-01-2003 at 11:00 AM.