E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

E420 Radio/Phone Dilemma NEED ADVICE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 Mercedes E420
Question E420 Radio/Phone Dilemma NEED ADVICE

Ok, this has been annoying the poop out of me for the last 4 months. My 1994 E420 had the cell phone option, you know with the overhead console piece and it's wired up with the unit in the back in the trunk or wherever it's all plugged up. My issue is this, the overhead console piece never turns off, EVER and it's sucking my battery dead. The car no longer has the handset, although I see them on eBay and would like to get one for originality purposes only, not for usage. Anyway, to get the overhead console piece to turn off I had to pull the fuse by the passenger side strut tower. Yay it's off, turn the radio on and it says PHONE... So I found wiring schematics for the radio and figuring something was wired funny got my little radio puller tool thing-a-mabobs and pulled the radio. NOPE Everything is as it should be. Now, before I pulled the radio, the radio used to have a flashing LED by the power button and that used to flash, now it doesn't. As well, when the phone fuse by the shock tower is pulled out the alarm LED on the switch panel flashes, put the fuse back in....nothing. As well is the radio supposed to be able to just turn on with no key in the ignition, because mine does?! I like the overhead console phone thing. I don't want to take it out, I just want to listen to my radio without any issues and I want my alarm LED's to work again on the radio and the switch panel....Need some real help here, because something is screwy.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E420 Mercedes
E420 Radio/Phone Dilemma NEED ADVICE TOO!!

There was no thread or reply to your post and you are the ONLY person i have found who had the same exact problem I am having. Please tell me you found the solution!?